rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia

I wouldn't trust any of them, is about to get very messy with all these different services. I certainly wouldn't pay full price for something I don't actually own. 

27 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I wouldn't trust any of them, is about to get very messy with all these different services. I certainly wouldn't pay full price for something I don't actually own. 

That's up to you of course, but it's not really any different to buying games from Steam, the PlayStation Store or whatever. You don't technically own anything from those stores either.

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

That's up to you of course, but it's not really any different to buying games from Steam, the PlayStation Store or whatever. You don't technically own anything from those stores either.

Well no perhaps not, but you can download them and play them whilst they're on your hard drive without having to rely on streaming them remotely, presently anyway, which to me is some kind of ownership. I can stick a cartridge in my Switch and play it wherever I want without an internet connection, etc. I mean you can argue the technicality but if Stadia goes down I own nothing.

21 hours ago, Stanley said:

Ubisoft could just let you access it from another service, likely their own.

Google could very easily have included terms in their contracts that would stop them from being able to do this. Most likely the contracts give Google exclusive rights to stream the games , either for as long as Stadia exists or for a lengthy defined period of time . 

The contracts could also forbid Ubisoft from withdrawing those rights, over any other reason than a breach of contract by Google. 

49 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Google could very easily have included terms in their contracts that would stop them from being able to do this. Most likely the contracts give Google exclusive rights to stream the games , either for as long as Stadia exists or for a lengthy defined period of time . 

The contracts could also forbid Ubisoft from withdrawing those rights, over any other reason than a breach of contract by Google. 

That would be a nuts choice for Ubi or EA to sign up to, in a competitive market with no obvious winner yet - for precisely the same reason that they don’t go single console.

(this isn’t a retro games case where there’s limited interest or competition in the market)

2 minutes ago, footle said:

That would be a nuts choice for Ubi or EA to sign up to, in a competitive market with no obvious winner yet - for precisely the same reason that they don’t go single console.

(this isn’t a retro games case where there’s limited interest or competition in the market)

Whether it was nuts or not, would entirely depend on the size of the financial incentive that Google is putting on the table. Which as far as I know, we have no information about.

One thing I have noticed with streaming, if you try use GeForce now on peak days e.g Saturday night it runs terribly, I presume because everyone else is using their internet at the same time

9 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Whether it was nuts or not, would entirely depend on the size of the financial incentive that Google is putting on the table. Which as far as I know, we have no information about.

So what you're saying is, you have no idea.

25 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

“Most Likely”

I'll post this question here, but could equally apply in the Antstream thread - why is streaming now considered a possibility for gaming ?

To expand on that - what new tech in which areas of the connection chain are these companies employing to make this now feasible and make the lag not perceivable for (some) users ?

Or was it possible before and they're just waiting for the mass market internet connection speed to catch up and nothing clever is really going on in the background, its just massive servers and faster connections ?

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

Or was it possible before and they're just waiting for the mass market internet connection speed to catch up and nothing clever is really going on in the background, its just massive service and faster connections ?

OnLive and Gaikai happened over a decade ago, so it's been around for ages.

There's a reason we don't really remember OnLive and Gaikai (although Sony still use the dead, dead soul of Gaikai for PSNow).

It's the same as Stadia but with the option to download (certain? all?) PS4 games for non-streaming local play. I subbed recently out of interest and it works pretty well. Game selection is the biggest issue it has.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Isn't PSNow the elephant in the room? I mean, doesn't it work or is it different from what Stadia wants to do? I genuinely don't know the differences.

I tried PSNow a few years ago. Streaming option only at that point.  Worked fine for me.  I never used it after the trial due to the insane pricing at the time.   Might have got better by now but for a long time the games library wasn't great either. 

Connection wise I've always had my consoles hardwired.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Isn't PSNow the elephant in the room? I mean, doesn't it work or is it different from what Stadia wants to do? I genuinely don't know the differences.

It had lag when I played it. That was a couple of years ago.

PSNow works well with the games you can download - obviously - but is still ropey with the streaming-only titles, albeit I've only tried over WiFi. 

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

I tried PSNow a few years ago. Streaming option only at that point.  Worked fine for me.  I never used it after the trial due to the insane pricing at the time.   Might have got better by now but for a long time the games library wasn't great either. 

I'm actually using this now to play Fallout 3 again. They have added the option with PS4 titles now to download just like the xbox game pass. The games library is still lacking and I feel they are merely keeping it alive for easy revenue, in fact quite often the 'new titles' are just games that have recently been on PS plus.... So if you're paying for both it's going to be a bit annoying / pointless.

37 minutes ago, deKay said:

It had lag when I played it. That was a couple of years ago.

It still has some issues but not too bad. You are more likely to see the video downgrade rather than a lag in gameplay (though it does still crop up from time to time so I wouldn't stream multiplayer etc). I imagine when I get round to playing something that's offline it will seem like a better experience but again content is a real issue if they want to progress their alternative to the game pass.

PSNow is quite odd, in that Sony appear to have gotten a huge head start on their rivals in this area, but don’t seem to be interested in encouraging anyone to use it, either through marketing it or through making it cheap enough for anyone to consider trying it out. Pretty much the only advertising I’ve seen for it is an icon on the PlayStation store. 

• Upvote 1

I got another free trial for PSNow a week or so back and used it to revisit New Vegas. That game doesn't have the download option which a lot of the others have now, so I played it streaming, and it worked absolutely fine. Although I guess that isn't a game that's going to be sensitive to lag.

I got it almost entirely so my son could play some Lego games without waiting 2 hours for them to download. I also tried a it of metro 2033 and Arkham Knight and both seemed fine.

And I agree with @K - Sony do seem to have one-upped everyone but are not doing anything with the tech. For example, I would be great (if your connection supported it) to stream a game when you buy it for immediate access, and switch to the downloaded version once it was ready, rather than waiting a few hours. At the very least improve the catalog and include all of the PlayStation Hits catalog.

45 minutes ago, hub2 said:

I got it almost entirely so my son could play some Lego games without waiting 2 hours for them to download. I also tried a it of metro 2033 and Arkham Knight and both seemed fine.

And I agree with @K - Sony do seem to have one-upped everyone but are not doing anything with the tech. For example, I would be great (if your connection supported it) to stream a game when you buy it for immediate access, and switch to the downloaded version once it was ready, rather than waiting a few hours. At the very least improve the catalog and include all of the PlayStation Hits catalog.

Maybe the infrastructure couldn't take too many people streaming simultaneously.   One of the reasons for the price increase last year (or was it the year before) was all about being able to spend that money on online infrastructure.  Could be as much about it being a huge job/cost to handle the traffic they would get if they advertised it right now.   Maybe that's why they're moving some stuff to Azure going forward.   It's really odd they'd hold back like they have done otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

I got another free trial for PSNow a week or so back and used it to revisit New Vegas. That game doesn't have the download option which a lot of the others have now, so I played it streaming, and it worked absolutely fine. Although I guess that isn't a game that's going to be sensitive to lag.

The menus absolutely would be. It wouldn’t affect the gameplay, but that’s where it’s likely most noticeable.

14 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Maybe the infrastructure couldn't take too many people streaming simultaneously.   One of the reasons for the price increase last year (or was it the year before) was all about being able to spend that money on online infrastructure.  Could be as much about it being a huge job/cost to handle the traffic they would get if they advertised it right now.   Maybe that's why they're moving some stuff to Azure going forward.   It's really odd they'd hold back like they have done otherwise. 

That's my suspicion with the PlayStation version.  One of the big problems with these systems is they don't scale.  If you're effectively doing the GPU and CPU power of the game remotely, the way high end games absolutely squeeze every ounce of power of the the GPU, you essentially need a GPU available for every person who is playing the game, at peak times.  Which is an incredibly expense infrastructure to install and maintain.  MS and Google have enough other stuff going on that they might be able to find a legitimate use for all that GPU power installed around the world, that's lying idle most of the time but which has to be ready for peak time / game launch time, when everyone's playing at the same time, but Sony are less likely to be able to make use of it.  So maybe Sony just don't want / can't afford for the streaming service to become too popular.

• Upvote 5

That's probably part of the reason Sony have made their deal with Microsoft to share their infrastructure in the future. I think we'll see a much bigger push for PSNow, or whatever replaces it next gen.

Are there any good diagrams showing all the latency in the chain between input and seeing the reaction on screen, taking into account wireless controllers, wifi/ethernet connections, average 4K TV processing, game engine, and (if applicable) streaming?

My ping seems to be very low - on the Apex Legends it says 12ms. The SpeedTest app on my phone give me a ping of 8ms. This seems lightning fast compares to my TV (Sony XE90) which adds 25ms of latency in game mode, which is supposedly a very good response rate for a modern TV.

On 08/07/2019 at 12:01, deKay said:

OnLive and Gaikai happened over a decade ago, so it's been around for ages.

There's a reason we don't really remember OnLive and Gaikai (although Sony still use the dead, dead soul of Gaikai for PSNow).

OnLive was ahead of its time. It was Stadia and GamePass in one. I used it loads. 

Google have published a FAQ for Stadia, which confirms what Phil apparently a 'snake oil salesman' Harrison told a journalist:

How will Stadia Pro work for a family? Can I share it or not? (i.e. Family Sharing)
Stay tuned for more details on upcoming Stadia features.

Can I access Stadia in any of the 14 countries that are being supported at launch or will Stadia be region-locked?
Stadia will be launching in 14 countries in November. Games purchased on Stadia will be playable in all 14 launch countries regardless of where they were purchased.

If I buy Stadia in a supported country, can it be used in a non-supported country with just performance issues?
No, Stadia will only work when played from the countries currently targeted for launch in November. Stay tuned for our next batch of countries where we'll launch.

What are the benefits of having your platform?
There are plenty of benefits including instant access to games on virtually any screen. Also, you'll never have to wait for a download patch or platform update.

Will I lose my game progress if my Internet connection dips or if I get throttled?
If you happen to lose connection, Stadia will maintain the game where it got cut off for several minutes so that you can quickly get back online without losing progress. Also, if the bandwidth fluctuates, Stadia will adjust to deliver the best possible visual quality at all times.

Will there be multiplayer content on the platform?
Yes, there will be multiplayer content and we are working with more publishers and developers every day to bring the best games to Stadia.  Please stay tuned for more details.

Are you going to have cross-platform play?
We're committed to developing an accessible and welcoming environment for all gamers and plan on working with top-tier devs, which include those who want to enable cross-platform play.

What happens if I stop my Stadia Pro subscription for some months - will I see my saved progress if I rejoin later on?
If you stop your Stadia Pro subscription, when you rejoin Stadia Pro you may retain the progress you made in previously-unlocked Stadia Pro subscription games and in add-ons you previously unlocked or purchased. Additionally, you may make individual game purchases and resume progress if you previously decided to stop your Stadia Pro subscription.

What happens to a game I bought if the publisher stops supporting Stadia in the future? Can I still play the game?
Yes. Once you purchase the game, you own the right to play it. In the future, it is possible that some games may no longer be available for new purchases, but existing players will still be able to play the game. Outside of unforeseen circumstances, Stadia will aim to keep any previously purchased title available for gameplay.

Can the Stadia Controller be used on other platforms?
We've designed the Stadia Controller to work best on Stadia. When plugged in via USB cable, the Stadia Controller acts as a standard USB HID controller and may work on other platforms depending on the game and setup.

How many controllers can I use at the same time?
Your Stadia account will support up to four Stadia controllers during local multiplayer game play.

https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9338946?hl=en

I suppose they have included a get-out clause in that promise though :P