rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia

47 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why do people keeping moaning about no exclusives? They’re one of the worst things to happen in gaming. Consumers should be able to pick their delivery method, whether that be streaming or a high end console, and have access to all games. It’s shit that we have to buy every console to play all those exclusives.

Because without exclusives you may as well not bother, there is no reason right now to buy Stadia when the competition offers more/better in every conceivable way.

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Because without exclusives you may as well not bother, there is no reason right now to buy Stadia when the competition offers more/better in every conceivable way.

It’s not for me until I see it in action, but I’m sure there are plenty of reasons to buy it other than exclusives. If they can sort the lag/latency out, it seems like a good thing for people who don’t want to fork out for an expensive console, for example.

Like I say though, it’s only my opinion and I’d love to be able to run everything through one box/service/whatever. Less clutter and less outlay seems better to me. I don’t want a stack of consoles next to my TV.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Not having to buy a full blown gaming PC to play on those ultra settings sounds like a good reason to me.

Yes, even with the latency issues or the less than perfect image quality.

Although I am pretty sure if the game is not totally unplayable, none of the mainstream audience will care for some latency.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deKay said:

95% of people in the US do. And anyone in the UK on BT but not on their Unlimited packages. And almost everyone who uses 3/4/5G broadband.

95%?! You sure about that?

I don't and I don't know anyone else who does either but maybe that's because of location. So I am a 5% apparently. 

I didn't really have any interest in this but then Football Manager was in the show reel and if I can play Football Manager with all the leagues running at super speed that would be great considering it's not a game in which lag would be an issue. I can see me buying the Stadia version of that. Apart from that though? Meh

• Upvote 1

Will be interesting to see if Destiny 2 Cross-Play happens given that both MS and Google have publicly committed to this. It would be awesome to see the player-base increase as a result of this. 

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

I don't understand why they're not launching the 'free' version first if they want this thing to gain traction.

My guess is that this is a useful way of staggering and managing the global rollout. The Founders Edition effectively narrows the set of supported platforms with the pre-order system likely being a proxy for early quality of service planning. Free to everyone could easily turn into a publicity disaster even if the underlying product is good.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hass said:

My guess is that this is a useful way of staggering and managing the global rollout. The Founders Edition effectively narrows the set of supported platforms with the pre-order system likely being a proxy for early quality of service planning. Free to everyone could easily turn into a publicity disaster even if the underlying product is good.

Agreed on this, they can then roll out the free version to the limited markets that are only available now, then later rollout free to ALL.

54 minutes ago, JPL said:

It’s not for me until I see it in action, but I’m sure there are plenty of reasons to buy it other than exclusives. If they can sort the lag/latency out, it seems like a good thing for people who don’t want to fork out for an expensive console, for example.

Like I say though, it’s only my opinion and I’d love to be able to run everything through one box/service/whatever. Less clutter and less outlay seems better to me. I don’t want a stack of consoles next to my TV.

It's not your only option for streaming, we'll see what the pricing is like for Xcloud but my guess is that it will piss all over this.

15 minutes ago, Hass said:

Just offer it all straight away, no point allowing the competition any edge, you want as many people as possible getting on board as soon as possible across the broadest array of devices. 

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It's not your only option for streaming, we'll see what the pricing is like for Xcloud but my guess is that it will piss all over this.

If Xcloud were to be offered together with Game Pass at a reasonable price, that kills this Stadia thing stone dead I think.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

If Xcloud were to be offered together with Game Pass at a reasonable price, that kills this Stadia thing stone dead I think.

Agreed, hopefully we'll find this out soon, but it's all about the subscription - harping on about 4K HDR 60FPS means nothing without a worthwhile catalogue and speaks to Google's lack of experience in this area IMO.

3 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Do many people have caps these days? 

Everyone in the US, and everyone who wants to play via the unicorn that is 5G.

6 hours ago, jonamok said:

And nobody knows what those pro-sub games will be or how many. It’s like if PS+ announced its launch with a £120 dongle and all you knew you’d get to play (without paying additional top dollar for a small selection of year old games) was Fortnite.

I'm pretty sure a £120 Fortnite dongle would make quite a lot of money :lol: 

I bet this is all a big scam to skim off streamers' revenue, not understanding that all the big rich streamers will have been deleted for being Nazis, Homophobes or Sexists long before it launches :lol: 

Honestly the free tier sounds pretty good for this, being able to guarantee fixed max res and framerate for every game when consoles can't because they're a fixed spec that dates from the moment they're released and this is just an instance is a good differentiator.

Do I want a $500 next gen console and however much a new 4K TV costs for something I have less and less time for and that'll end up with a mid-gen upgrade after a couple of years, or do I want something for free?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Just offer it all straight away, no point allowing the competition any edge, you want as many people as possible getting on board as soon as possible across the broadest array of devices. 

The competition isn't launching in 2019 anyway AFAICT. If I were Google, I'd much rather a good product launch with constrained demand on the service than a success disaster.

2 minutes ago, Hass said:

The competition isn't launching in 2019 anyway AFAICT. If I were Google, I'd much rather a good product launch with constrained demand on the service than a success disaster.

So at best they'll be launching the "free" version side by side with Microsoft. I honestly think they should have just limited it to 1080p/60/free for the launch if demand on the service is a worry rather than expecting people to stump up £8.99 a month to act as guinea pigs for the full fat service. I mean considering the low lag high performance they're claiming they either have the infrastructure or they don't.

51 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So at best they'll be launching the "free" version side by side with Microsoft. I honestly think they should have just limited it to 1080p/60/free for the launch if demand on the service is a worry rather than expecting people to stump up £8.99 a month to act as guinea pigs for the full fat service. I mean considering the low lag high performance they're claiming they either have the infrastructure or they don't.

There's still a single machine and a single gpu behind each running game irrespective of the fidelity so their infrastructure directly scales on number of users. This is almost certainly a way to manage the predicted global demand to wherever these things are located.

On 06/06/2019 at 18:05, MidWalian said:

Which Carmack tweet are people talking about? 

I was wondering, so Googled. Maybe this one? 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Stanley said:

How will it help them predict the popularity of the free service? 

Because you can extrapolate local regional demand for free from the existing demand for pro.

I’m confused by this.

According to the wise people of RLLMUK, it’ll be shit because of the laws of physics, or something. I don’t think there’s been any scientific testing or anything, it’s just been written off because they know best.

Yet Google seem massively confident in it and have obviously invested a lot. They’re even making bold claims like 4K/60fps gameplay on a meagre 35mbps connection.

So who do I believe? Some of the best tech minds on the planet with an unlimited budget or a group of middle aged moaners who fear change? It’s a tough one!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's Steam that's gonna get shafted by this I reckon. My guess is that you'll quickly see publishers shifting their PC back catalogue over to expand the revenue stream based off an easy conversion. We'll then be left with two streaming platforms split by content. I just hope cross-play happens so the only difference is who you're paying.

Fucking lol at making an appeal to authority about Google 'behold my abandoned products and tremble ye mighty' of all companies.

• Upvote 2