rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia

I'm interested to see what they bring to the table, if only for pricing and availability for now but also if they've got any original content or tied up any exclusives and suchlike.

11 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Like Google won’t have shitcanned this like most of their stuff by 2020. 

:lol:

Harsh but funny.

I wonder what this free version entails, other than it being locked to 1080p/30 - something the casuals everyone claims this is for should be fine with anyway. 

I'd quite happily play Assassin's Creed Odyssey with that performance for free.

You can play in 4K at 60fps, says Phil Harrison, standing against a white background, yet still going blocky and low res because they can't handle the stream to so many people. Then the Baldurs Gate guy came on and everything got worse. My Internet's is 20mbs faster than they say they need and they can't even stream the announcement .

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

Games run via Google Stadia won’t suffer from worse latency than their console counterparts, despite the fact that it’s a streaming service.

That’s the claim made by Stadia’s VP of engineering, Majd Bakar

Could someone please explain how this is physically possible? How close would you need to live near the data center for the hop to be equivalent to a device 4 feet in front of you?

so i get that the controller is connected directly to the internet, not via the chrome cast, to reduce latency, but still don't understand how it can't take longer for a button press to get to the google server, have the response rendered, and the images transmitted to the browser.

they have to be talking shite don't they, but why would they say it if rubbish . it's google not some kickstarter.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

so i get that the controller is connected directly to the internet, not via the chrome cast, to reduce latency, but still don't understand how it can't take longer for a button press to get to the google server, have the response rendered, and the images transmitted to the browser.

they have to be talking shite don't they, but why would they say it if rubbish . it's google not some kickstarter.

Wondered this with Antstream as well. Perhaps the rollout to 5G is going to be way faster than we realise, and the world that this launches into doesn't have the limitations we take for granted today?  

19 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Could someone please explain how this is physically possible? How close would you need to live near the data center for the hop to be equivalent to a device 4 feet in front of you?

I would say that its the way its worded is factually correct.

The latency between the streaming server you are running your stream on and the game server itself will not have worse latency. e.g The Stadia Server you run your stream from communicating with Bungies Destiny 2 server will be minimal.

Therefore they can make that bold claim. However, like you Im super skeptical about the latency between your controller in sitting room and the Stadia server.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gotters said:

That Carmack Tweet

4 minutes ago, Rattlehead.ie said:

I would say that its the way its worded is factually correct.

The latency between the streaming server you are running your stream on and the game server itself will not have worse latency. e.g The Stadia Server you run your stream from communicating with Bungies Destiny 2 server will be minimal.

Therefore they can make that bold claim. However, like you Im super skeptical about the latency between your controller in sitting room and the Stadia server.

Ah, hadn't thought of gaming device to multiplayer server latency. Yeah, that will be no worse. Hell, it may even be better, not having to contend with escaping your local internet provider. 

But that doesn't address the difference between me and gaming device. This would all be so easy to dismantle with a diagram. 

Edit- although Antstream solved it, so perhaps Google did, too.

Just now, Stanley said:

Do you get a subscription or any games with the Founder Pack?

3 months + Destiny 2 I think. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Wondered this with Antstream as well. Perhaps the rollout to 5G is going to be way faster than we realise, and the world that this launches into doesn't have the limitations we take for granted today?  

How does 5G fix latency? Are you saying home gigabit internet would also eliminate the player to device latency?

15 minutes ago, TehStu said:

How does 5G fix latency? Are you saying home gigabit internet would also eliminate the player to device latency?

I honestly haven't a clue. There must be some secret we don't know about because lag ruins most games but Antstream and Google are staking their reputation on eliminating it through some sort of magic.

3 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I honestly haven't a clue. There must be some secret we don't know about because lag ruins most games but Antstream and Google are staking their reputation on eliminating it through some sort of magic.

Stadia has controller magic, anstream has other magic. 

Which Carmack tweet are people talking about? 

2 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Like Google won’t have shitcanned this like most of their stuff by 2020. 

Which is "ok" if you're streaming and never bought anything, but as Ars mentions

These users will also be "purchasing" games that will only be available for as long as Google decides to support Stadia as a going concern.

Sure, no different from other digital purchases, but some purveyors of digital tat stick around longer than others.

I've got this really horrid feeling that "accepted" lag is going to be exactly the same as accepted 30fps.

Kids playing shit like Roblox don't care about lag.

There will probably be a load of buddy subs going cheap on eBay as people try to offset the cost of their founder packs. 

Regardless, I hope this dies a death. 

• Upvote 2

New tech and consoles alway get me excited but given this reveal failed to stream properly on my 500mb connection it does kind of kill any chance of me taking a punt on a tech we know is gonna be laggy...

4k HDR is a shit load of bandwidth, 60mb when I was streaming a film from a mates server so I hope they don’t use the same tech as YouTube ;) 

So if cross-saves become commonplace, and the service kind of works, it would be pretty neat to have this as an option to continue your game on the go or at work at lunch time or whatever. If I could boot up ESO on this thing and craft a sweet hat on the bus home in our 5G future and then play for real, proudly wearing said hat, when I get home at night, it would be kind of neat.

I remain skeptical and unexcited, though £129 + sub does seem a good price for a 4K gaming experience, caveat caveat.