footle

Google Stadia - "Future of Gaming" announced at GDC 2019

Are television or film studios claiming they're not making money from it?

The music industries woes seem to be multiple and complex (i.e. easy to pirate, hidebound by an awful legal structure from the 1800s), and don't seem to be relevant for other industries.

1 minute ago, RubberJohnny said:

Are television or film studios claiming they're not making money from it? The music industries woes don't seem to be relevant for other industries.

But most TV and movies don't go straight to streaming services do they? The new Star Wars will go cinema- home release/rental, then a year or two down the line, Netflix or whatever.

17 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Some go straight there, some don't, same with the Pass services on the gaming side.

I don't think I've seen anyone say they're not making money from it, or it's crushing studios though.

So you're saying that if all new releases went to Google's service day one and cusromers just paid a tenner a month or whatever  then developers and publishers would be no worse off than they are with the current model? I think that's crazy.

I think streaming will be a thing, but I don't think that subscription model is financially viable. To use my earlier example - RDR2 has sold 23 million copies in under 6 months at full price and they're selling to an audience roughly the same size as Netflix, and that's been going 10 years.

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So you're saying that if all new releases went to Google's service day one and cusromers just paid a tenner a month or whatever  then developers and publishers would be no worse off than they are with the current model? I think that's crazy.  

That's how a bunch of games have gone already with GamePass and EA Access. I've not seen any complaints from developers or publishers,  can you point me to any?

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

RDR2 has sold 23 million copies in under 6 months at full price.

I think using possibly the biggest title in the industry as an example as if it's representative of the average success of a AAA game is super misleading.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

That's how a bunch of games have gone already with GamePass and EA Access. I've not seen any complaints from developers or publishers,  can you point me to any?

I think using possibly the biggest title in the industry as an example as if it's representative of the average success of a AAA game is super misleading.

EA Access gives you early access, timed demos and other such privileges but you still have to pay for new releases. As with Game Pass, it's really only first party stuff that gets day and date releases, it's also been criticised for being home to mediocre releases or ones that didn't do so well such as Just Cause 4 and Shadow of The Tomb Raider.

Can you point me to any big third party release that launched day and date on Game Pass?

And of course I used RDR2 to argue my point, in the same way you used Fortnite and Minecraft to argue yours ;)

But replace RDR2 with any big release and the point remains.

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

As with Game Pass, it's really only first party stuff that gets day and date releases

Has the first party publisher complained or threatened to discontinue the service for not working? They seem to be very enthusiastic about it.

, it's also been criticised for being home to mediocre releases or ones that didn't do so well such as Just Cause 4 and Shadow of The Tomb Raider.

So you're admitting AAA games can make more money on streaming, undermining your own point? Have those developers complained about the service?

Can you point me to any big third party release that launched day and date on Game Pass?  

I'm not sure I need to? My point doesn't rely on it.

1 minute ago, RubberJohnny said:

Has the publisher complained or threatened to discontinue the service for not working? They seem to be very enthusiastic about it.

So you're admitting AAA games can make more money on streaming, undermining your own point? Have those developers complained about the service?

I'm not sure I need to? My point doesn't rely on it.

The "publisher" being Microsoft you mean? I never said there's no money to be made, but if publishers are better off - which is my point - they'd have already put all their new releases on the service. They don't because they wouldn't be.

Your point, unless I'm mistaken, is that publishers would be no worse off than they are now, and I don't agree, and I provided examples. 

No, you're the one who's seemed to introduce this "everything on streaming, no alternatives" thing, I'm the one who brought up that there's still digital downloads and physical media for movies, TV and music, but they're comparatively unpopular.

You also keep trying to bring up how things are today on this topic as if it's relevant for what the industry would look like after something pretty transformative. "Most games are still bought on physical media", so what? Streaming doesn't exist yet, that means nothing!

• Upvote 1

First of all you're quoting something I didn't say about physical releases, but we appear to be arguing at cross purposes, or I've misunderstood you.

But streaming does exist and has for a while now.

I haven't quoted you at all?

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

But streaming does exist and has for a while now.

How very pedantic, we've had a few closed betas at small enough scale that obviously they haven't completely obliterated the market share of physical discs yet. This is just the same "ignore the trend, look only at the present" line you like to come out with and is just as false as all the other times.

If you're not quoting me don't use quotation marks when replying to me to make it look like I said something I didn't.

Full release streaming services have been available for ages, I've no idea what you're on about. And I'm not ignoring any trends, I use streaming myself and have done for ages, but just ignore what I'm actually saying as you continue to point score and ignore any valid points.

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Full release streaming services have been available for ages, I've no idea what you're on about. And I'm not ignoring any trends, I use streaming myself and have done for ages, but just ignore what I'm actually saying as you continue to point score and ignore any valid points.

You mean PS Now? I hear that's massively expanding recently, it must be doing really well. Have you heard any of the developers or publishers say it's bad for business?

Just now, RubberJohnny said:

You mean PS Now? I hear that's massively expanding recently, it must be doing really well. Have you heard any of the developers or publishers say it's bad for business?

PS Now isn't the only one, and I don't believe I was attempting to argue that subscription models are bad outright, just that they don't work for new release AAA games that tend to make most of their money early on before coming down in price or going onto to these and other services.

Shall we leave it there now?

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I don't believe I was attempting to argue that subscription models are bad outright, just that they don't work for new release AAA games that tend to make most of their money early on

That's a bit of a climbdown from what you said previously:

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I think streaming will be a thing, but I don't think that subscription model is financially viable.

But sure, we can leave it there.

The important word there is "that" in which I believed we were discussing a model like Spotify where everything comes out day one on the service. I wouldn't have said "it will be a thing" if I believed it had no future (or present) at all, would I?

Christ you're awkward.

16 hours ago, Stanley said:

I just don't see AAA gaming having as wide a market as movies and TV, even Netflix only has 140 million subscribers and that's been going 10 years. God knows where they get this figure of billions from.

Pretty sure somebody *cough* has mentioned the underlying reasoning for Microsoft's claim. For the hard of reading, there are 2 Billion people worldwide who consume some form of gaming, Microsoft want to attempt to reach that entire potential market with their latest idea.

20 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Pretty sure somebody *cough* has mentioned the underlying reasoning for Microsoft's claim. For the hard of reading, there are 2 Billion people worldwide who consume some form of gaming, Microsoft want to attempt to reach that entire potential market with their latest idea.

I mean it's ambitious, totally eclipsing current paid subscriptions for all forms of media :hat:

Typical corporate "I have a dream" type stuff, but if you don't set your target at 110%, can hardly get the board excited by your proposal ;)

In reality, the addressable market is of course nowhere near that big for big budget console games, in the same way that Hollywood blockbusters will never reach every single viewer of filmed entertainment, but if you can reach a decent portion of that potential audience, you'll have done quite well still.

Its obviously hard/impossible to know if this will work or have a big enough market but at a technology level they need to be pushing in to and exploring it. Those already involved in games platforms and distribution (MS, Sony, Valve, now Epic) won't want to be caught like the music, TV and film industries with tech companies coming in and stealing the keys to the castle.

In music the publishers lost. They never got up and running themselves and now are dependent on Spotify, Apple, Google etc for the bulk of sales and listens.

In TV/film we ar about to see if the big publishers can take back some control. Will people sub to a Disney only service instead or as well as Amazon/Netflix etc? How many will users accept.

I suspect we'll see embryonic services initially for proving the tech alongside full downloads (at least for those who can like MS). This gives them a foot in the door if it works well enough (even for a subset of game types and users). If it takes off they're ready. If it doesn't then these are large entities that can either maintain a small presence until details or the market shifts or scrap it without too much lost.

• Upvote 1

Her and her former-former-former employer in the same room, interesting. But then again, it's probably is just a discussion panel with some invited luminaries as Raph Koster is also doing it and he ain't done stuff with any other of the other known suspects AFAIK.

I'm interested in what Google has to offer, however, I was never impressed with their hardware with the $$$ they have behind them. Especially with their recent tablet effort which was rubbish.