rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia - 2 months free pro (as long as you don’t want to use a chromecast)

I wonder what’s going on with this. How is it possible that Stadia’s 10.7 Teraflops or whatever is either on par or worse than games running on the One X’s 6 Teraflops? 

On 11/03/2020 at 12:00, deKay said:

At present, the Bethesda site just shows comparative resolutions and implies that the One X and Stadia versions are the same in that regard - it will be really interesting to see whether they have the same settings and whether one platform or the other sustains the target resolution better than the other. Based off current information, I personally will probably opt for the Stadia version over the One X solely because its easier for me to play across 3 screens in my house, it's largely a single player experience and I won't have to dick around with updates. But it would be good to make an informed decision here.

Ultimately I'm not too fussed if Bethesda have decided to trade more shinies for reduced resolution - ultimately it's up to them to decide where to put those GPU cycles. Especially given that 2160 vs. 1800 upscaled may be a good compromise given that the  AI upscalers these days seem to be significantly better than yesteryear. 

But overall, it's disappointing that Stadia today seems to be largely comparable to Xbox One X performance.

23 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I wonder what’s going on with this. How is it possible that Stadia’s 10.7 Teraflops or whatever is either on par or worse than games running on the One X’s 6 Teraflops? 

I guess it depends how much each platform actually manages to hit its target res. and whether the underlying graphics settings are comparable. 

I don't know about Doom, but the technical analyses I've seen so far put the underlying graphics settings on par or even below the One X version for Stadia games. With all the floppy performance they're touting you'd expect settings akin to the PC version on very high or Ultra. Once the nextgen consoles arrive they'd better have solved whatever is holding Stadia graphical performance back or else it will be a very bad look.

TBH I think what's holding it back is that the publishers don't give a shit.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I don't think this is actually the case. Just look at which publishers have pulled their games from Geforce Now and you can see who is lined up behind Stadia.

Oh they’ll put games up there alright, but there’s no real reason for them to bust their ass to put an extra 200 lines of resolution on a Stadia game.

I guess it's a chicken egg scenario, as long as it's not a popular service there's no point. But all it needs is a free tier and a Fortnight and it's off and away. I think the numbers will go up quite significantly over the next 12 months.

Even then, I really don't think any of them have any big incentive to help Stadia reach its potential as a greater-than-console-quality streaming games service. It'll get the content there but unless Google wants to start writing some fat cheques they just are not going to bother going the extra mile to optimise things for what is, in principle, a console that could outperform the Xbox One X.

1 hour ago, Hass said:

I guess it's a chicken egg scenario, as long as it's not a popular service there's no point. But all it needs is a free tier and a Fortnight and it's off and away. I think the numbers will go up quite significantly over the next 12 months.

And compatibility on more devices and better graphics than the next gen machines and cheaper games.

11 hours ago, Hass said:

Apart from Fortnight already being free and playable on every system under the sun - what’s the incentive to play the Stadia version? 

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Apart from Fortnight already being free and playable on every system under the sun - what’s the incentive to play the Stadia version? 

I said "a Fortnight" :)

10 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Even then, I really don't think any of them have any big incentive to help Stadia reach its potential as a greater-than-console-quality streaming games service. It'll get the content there but unless Google wants to start writing some fat cheques they just are not going to bother going the extra mile to optimise things for what is, in principle, a console that could outperform the Xbox One X.

The thing that will get the optimizing will be people on the platform, just like any other platform. That's why the free tier is so important, it makes games like Doom Eternal available to a huge market of people who currently don't own consoles or PCs.

6 minutes ago, Hass said:

I said "a Fortnight" :)

Right, so all it needs is a system exclusive as popular as the most popular multi platform title on the planet ;)

7 minutes ago, Hass said:

The thing that will get the optimizing will be people on the platform, just like any other platform. That's why the free tier is so important, it makes games like Doom Eternal available to a huge market of people who currently don't own consoles or PCs.

There are 100 million PS4s, maybe 50 million Xbox’s, 50 million Switch’s and God knows how many PC’s - I think you’re overestimating just how ‘huge’ the untapped market is for Doom Eternal. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

There are 100 million PS4s, maybe 50 million Xbox’s, 50 million Switch’s and God knows how many PC’s - I think you’re overestimating just how ‘huge’ the untapped market is for Doom Eternal. 

Take their lead from Dreamcast and proclaim “up to 7 billion players”.

35 minutes ago, Hass said:

Yeah, the publishers will be far more motivated when it’s a significant part of the pie, especially in markets consoles and PCs just haven’t reached yet.

The only way even a ‘free’ tier would amount to any kind of success is if they were to start offering a proper subscription package along the lines of PS Now and Xbox Game Pass, no one is going to pay £60 for Doom Eternal on their mobile. 

38 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The only way even a ‘free’ tier would amount to any kind of success is if they were to start offering a proper subscription package along the lines of PS Now and Xbox Game Pass, no one is going to pay £60 for Doom Eternal on their mobile. 

It's not on their mobile though, it's on their Chrome browser using a computer they already have.

On 12/03/2020 at 17:02, Alex W. said:

The impression I get from stuff like that Business Insider article and listening to people like Jeff Gerstmann is that the support from Google hasn't been great up to this point. 

I mean that both in terms of paying developers to put their games on the service and also the tools available to developers. Games like Red Dead and Doom running comparably on the One X and Stadia would seem to back that up. 

On 13/03/2020 at 09:50, Hass said:

It's not on their mobile though, it's on their Chrome browser using a computer they already have.

I assume you’re referring then to people using relatively low end lap tops because otherwise they could just buy the game normally and have it run on their PC? Personally don’t recognise this untapped market of customers previously uninterested in video games suddenly willing to spend £60 on one. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Stanley said:

I assume you’re referring then to people using relatively low end lap tops because otherwise they could just buy the game normally and have it run on their PC? Personally don’t recognise this untapped market of customers previously uninterested in video games suddenly willing to spend £60 on one. 

It's definitely there. I've got a load of friends who don't own recent consoles who played Doom when they were younger. It's a casual market which has limited time, young parents and whatnot, folks who can't justify a console purchase due to time constraint but can certainly justify a few games a year. 

40 minutes ago, Hass said:

It's definitely there. I've got a load of friends who don't own recent consoles who played Doom when they were younger. It's a casual market which has limited time, young parents and whatnot, folks who can't justify a console purchase due to time constraint but can certainly justify a few games a year. 

So why would they choose this over, say, PS Now or Xcloud, or even something like Apple Arcade? I mean you could buy an Xbox and get Game Pass for the price of a few games on Stadia. 

On 12/03/2020 at 21:10, Hass said:

But all it needs is a free tier and a Fortnight and it's off and away.

I think it’ll take longer than that, mate.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So why would they choose this over, say, PS Now or Xcloud, or even something like Apple Arcade? I mean you could buy an Xbox and get Game Pass for the price of a few games on Stadia. 

Because they don't want a sub and an initial outlay. 

14 minutes ago, Hass said:

So they don’t want to pay £8.99 a month or wherever for PS Now which offers a selection of games and exclusives - which they can play however much or little they choose, no initial outlay, and then cancel, resub, whatever, but they’d happily pay £60 for one game on Stadia. I don’t see it. 

• Upvote 2

A few years ago, when TVs kind of needed a chromecast to be smart perhaps. But I’m the only person I know with a chromecast Ultra, and even that’s simply because I was an early adopter of a 4K tv and hungry for HDR content back in 2016.

Yeah if they want to play on TV they’ll need that, and then of course they’ll need a pad of some kind if they don’t already have one - so I’m not convinced it’ll be impulse buying for lapsed gamers. 

12 hours ago, Hass said:

Except doesn't PS Now work on anything?

And isn't it still impossible to play Stadia without a sub?

All the young parents and lapsed gamers I’ve ever met still have a console, it just sits unused or only gets turned on for FIFA and Cod occasionally. Their main problem is spending £60 a time on shit they might hate with no demos available. The part of the lapsed games experience Google decided to keep.

• Upvote 1