rllmuk

Google Stadia - 2 months free pro (as long as you don’t want to use a chromecast)

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Most people just stick with the shitty router Talk Talk or Sky give them though.

Right, but those shitty routers get better. Hence Netflix no longer buffering.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, Google. 

I've thought about this, and it's very unlikely to work for a number of reasons:   -like millions of others, I primarily access the internet through my Dreamcast. Unless Google announce supp

That's exactly right. Obviously if you unplug the router as soon as you start watching there will be little to nothing in the buffer. But as you watch the film the system buffers about a whole minute

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Hass said:

Right, but those shitty routers get better. Hence Netflix no longer buffering.

When? People won’t replace them unless they break. And they’re not getting better anyway.

8 hours ago, deKay said:

When? People won’t replace them unless they break. And they’re not getting better anyway.

People replace them when they move providers primarily. I've certainly not got the same router I had ten years ago and I doubt most of the population do.

35 minutes ago, Hass said:

People replace them when they move providers primarily.

Which people don't tend to do.

Consumer magazine Which? has published the results of a new survey, which asked over 8,000 UK respondents about their broadband ISP switching habits. Overall a third said they were considering a change of provider but nearly half have NEVER switched and here are the top reasons why.

And, as I said, even if they do switch, they're very unlikely to get a superfast, super stable, mesh wifi network when they do because ISPs don't offer that - they give you the shittest router they can get away with (and in some cases, make it very hard for you to use an alternative).

8 minutes ago, deKay said:

Which people don't tend to do.

And, as I said, even if they do switch, they're very unlikely to get a superfast, super stable, mesh wifi network when they do because ISPs don't offer that - they give you the shittest router they can get away with (and in some cases, make it very hard for you to use an alternative).

The reason ISPs haven't historically offered mesh to-date was that there was limited obvious benefit. BT were pushing their "whole house WiFi" solution but I doubt that alone was enough to meaninfgully differentiate. But I can see how their Stadia partnership works in this context - there's a large fibre rollout going on in the UK right now and the bulk of those subscriptions will come to BT and they'll get a free Stadia sub by default on a setup that has a high chance of giving a good experience. There will always be people on old kit but you've got to remember that the serviceable market numbers are still on Google's side there if only 50% of the population's WiFi kit is workable - 50% of the UK is about 35m which is a big market. That 50% will also likely be highly concentrated in target demographic if I had to guess. 

BT customers wanting to use Stadia are going to be using the Home Hub surely? And literally the only router I've ever had that is worse than one of those is the Virgin Media router in router mode. And even then the wifi on the Virgin router was better.

The BT Home Hub wifi is universally panned as terrible.

Having had this for a couple of months I can see how its failing, but not for the reason I thought.

On a great ethernet connection it works and works really well - but I'm really only using it like a console attached to my main tv. None of the play it anywhere in a browser or on your phone stuff appeals to me even if it worked properly.

I can see though that most peoples internet will be an issue - I've got Virgin 350mb cable so was good to go. The second you require people to get a better router or upgrade their internet this ceases to be a friction free product, and a console is much easier to just plug in and use if your internet isn't up to scratch to get the full fat 4k experience. 

Then add on top the lack of any killer games and the Pro titles meaning you'd be mad to buy anything at present on it. They either need some exclusive title or a benchmark tech best of the best version of something that is out but Stadia is the definitive version of. They have neither.

Cost of entry was low-ish for a look but at present this isn't an appealing package for most people, they don't have the internet for it and even if they did there is nothing really to play you can't already play elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

And even good wifi routers have set-ups that mysteriously become unreliable. When I was using PS Now late last year it was often a crisp, lag-free imitation of the best games on PS3 - but one particular evening the wifi just wasn’t reliable enough. My PS3 “went out” like Channel 5 back in the late 90s.

It’s not an unsolvable problem but it’s a trickier one than bandwidth. It’s in many ways a very different one from the “challenges” Netflix and Amazon streaming faced. You could forecast almost on a city by city scale where their product was going to become commercially viable as long-term broadband infrastructure was planned. The bottleneck in those cases was always the infrastructure and not the home LAN.

You can do the same thing for latency up to the user’s house as fibre rolls out but it’s anyone’s guess when or if low-latency reliable wifi hardware will be in there. The bottleneck is now inside the home.

• Upvote 1

My initial impressions of Metro Exodus are that it looks great but I notice a bit of latency in a way that I don't on D2 or RDR2. My brain seems to compensate for this after a minute or two but it is noticeable.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

BT customers wanting to use Stadia are going to be using the Home Hub surely? And literally the only router I've ever had that is worse than one of those is the Virgin Media router in router mode. And even then the wifi on the Virgin router was better.

The BT Home Hub wifi is universally panned as terrible.

It's not the home hub I'm talking about, BT have some home WiFi thingy that they market as killing WiFi dead spots. The thing they give you is a mesh which connects over powerline. 

2 hours ago, deKay said:

Will Stadia be hanging on still, by the time all this happens? And what about other countries?

I don't see Google killing this, this level of investment isn't just another messaging app or reader. My guess is that they're in this for the long run, I see them in a similar position to MS when they made their first Xbox move.

Other countries have other ISPs. Ultimately I think that what this will yield targeted ISP products aimed at users of game streaming services. The main thing that will give you is a decent mesh.

3 minutes ago, Hass said:

It's not the home hub I'm talking about, BT have some home WiFi thingy that they market as killing WiFi dead spots. The thing they give you is a mesh which connects over powerline. 

Are they giving it to new customers for free? If not then we're back to square one. Most BT customers will just have the shithub.

9 minutes ago, Flub said:

Are they giving it to new customers for free? If not then we're back to square one. Most BT customers will just have the shithub.

No. They want me to sign up to a new 24 month contract and pay them £15 more a month, and £10 upfront.

10 minutes ago, Hass said:

I don't see Google killing this, this level of investment isn't just another messaging app or reader. My guess is that they're in this for the long run, I see them in a similar position to MS when they made their first Xbox move.

Other countries have other ISPs. Ultimately I think that what this will yield targeted ISP products aimed at users of game streaming services. The main thing that will give you is a decent mesh.

Well, that’s the million dollar question. Is game streaming a big enough deal with broadband customers that ISPs will significantly change their attitude about the hardware they supply in order to scoop them up?

It’s a chicken and egg problem.

Perhaps ISPs will start doing a “gamer router” at a tidy surcharge or Razer et al will get in the wireless modem game. But there’s already plenty of motivation in the online gaming/streamer space for them to solve the issue in some way, more than exists for game streaming, and it doesn’t seem to have been enough.

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

No. They want me to sign up to a new 24 month contract and pay them £15 more a month, and £10 upfront.

So it's as I thought. A lot of those people getting free Stadia subs from BT are going to have a sub-optimal experience (And that's me being polite) because the homehub is trahs.

Also everyone. Buy your own mesh kit. Don't pay fucking BT monthly for it.

• Upvote 1

What are these BT mesh discs that use powerline as a backup? I haven't seen that used before in my limited exposure to mesh networks. 

On a sidenote, Razer already make a router and Asus have a whole bunch of very expensive RoG gaming routers. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, bear said:

What are these BT mesh discs that use powerline as a backup? I haven't seen that used before in my limited exposure to mesh networks. 

On a sidenote, Razer already make a router and Asus have a whole bunch of very expensive RoG gaming routers. 

Well, I guess that’s a niche waiting to be built upon then. Although when you have to buy and maintain a router (yourself or renting from an ISP) on top of the Chromecast and controller you’re eating in to the cost and convenience benefits versus a console. (Although surely a good router would last more than a console generation.)

2 minutes ago, Flub said:

What do these gaming routers offer above a decent regular router? I have a Fritzbox router paired with a TPLink mesh network and that works brilliantly.

Gaming routers don't really offer anything in my view these days. It used to be a marketing word for things like IP prioritisation but that functionality is ubiquitous on mesh router / WiFi anyway these days.

Well they look badass. The Fritzbox looks like something your grandad would use. Vin Diesel would use a TP-Link Archer C5400X MU-MIMO Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Cable Gaming Router. Because he is cool. 

I believe they also automatically prioritize game related traffic and other very important gubbins like that. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, bear said:

I believe they also automatically prioritize game related traffic and other very important gubbins like that. 

All the traffic prioritisation stuff I'm a bit suspect of these days simply because if you've got a fast BB connection (say 100mb or more) then you've got more than enough for multiple things at once and the chips in these routers are fast enough to serve everything without a priority view. 

I was actually amazed how good the TP Link Decos are. I get my max 360mbps over WiFi everywhere in my house and they only cost 150 notes. And they didn't require a rocket science degree to install either, just one on each floor. 

I'd expect Google to start pushing their Home WiFi mesh with Stadia Pro sub as that's ultimately the comparable product to the next gen consoles if you're going from a standing start. 

54 minutes ago, Hass said:

Yeah, we really shouldn't judge it by the UK's mostly prehistoric broadband (except for you lucky twunts with FTTP).  I am in a broadband blackspot and can't get more than 20mbit on a very good day by any means, so 4k just doesn't exist for me in any digitally streamed media.

41 minutes ago, deKay said:

LOL, that's £370 for what I would very kindly call £150 of kit.

17 hours ago, Hass said:

Nah - Netflix was a poor experience until bb speeds and wifi got throughput to an acceptable level. Same thing will happen here with latency, it's already there in the latest WiFi tech so you don't even have to read the tea leaves, it's just a matter of time. 

Netflix always worked fine for me, obviously it’s improved over the years but it was never not functional - also I’d argue that Netflix was successful because of the subscription, it’s entirely different to Stadia in its present form. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Netflix always worked fine for me, obviously it’s improved over the years but it was never not functional - also I’d argue that Netflix was successful because of the subscription, it’s entirely different to Stadia in its present form. 

True, Netflix's model was never "Here's 5 free episodes of Emmerdale and you can buy the rest until we kill the service for more than they cost on DVD".

• Upvote 2

Three months in and still no indication when the “free” service is coming or when current Stadia subscribers can use mobile devices other than Pixel, or untethered, etc, etc. No word on new releases or how/if the subscription model will change going forward. Those initial subs are up very shortly and they appear to be doing as little as possible to keep those paying customers interested. 

I think they said that other phones were coming Q1 along with 4k streaming over Chrome. But I agree it feels underwhelming. 

They need to get a game look Doom Eternal onto the sub to drive new subs and renewals.

I hadn't realised this seems to work on the new version of Edge. Which is nice. 

Going to try and play through Gylt and then make sure my sub doesn't auto-renew.