rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia - 2 months free pro (as long as you don’t want to use a chromecast)

I just got a 3rd CCU so that I can run Stadia on bedroom TV. This TV is WiFi accessible only so I wasn't sure how good the experience would be but I must say that I'm blown away. I just played a whole strike and got a single bit of image hang which rapidly resolved, was very similar to client side lag on D2. 

I think what's surprising me here is how good WiFi AC mesh is. I've got TP Link Deco for anyone interested and my CCU isn't even getting full signal.

2 hours ago, Gorf King said:

Mandatory Destiny correction post: the version of D2 on Stadia isn't the free-to-play New Light version that's free elsewhere. It's the full collection, including last year's Forsaken expansions and further DLC, and this year's Shadowkeep and the rest of this year's season passes. Probably about fifty quid if you bought them on another platform. 

It has been heavily discounted in recent PS and XB sales.

And if I'm honest I'd rather pay for Destiny 2 on one of the established formats anyway for performance, IQ and importantly the playerbase.

33 minutes ago, Hass said:

I just got a 3rd CCU so that I can run Stadia on bedroom TV. This TV is WiFi accessible only so I wasn't sure how good the experience would be but I must say that I'm blown away. I just played a whole strike and got a single bit of image hang which rapidly resolved, was very similar to client side lag on D2. 

I think what's surprising me here is how good WiFi AC mesh is. I've got TP Link Deco for anyone interested and my CCU isn't even getting full signal.

Have you tried X-Cloud yet?

3 hours ago, replicant said:

It has been heavily discounted in recent PS and XB sales.

And if I'm honest I'd rather pay for Destiny 2 on one of the established formats anyway for performance, IQ and importantly the playerbase.

You might well, as might I. But people in this thread repeatedly say that the Stadia version is free elsewhere. It isn't.

The upgrade edition is currently £39.99 on the Xbox store, and it's in a sale on the PSN store for £29.99. Neither of those includes this year's season passes. If you bought all three of those with silver it'd cost you about £25 on top. So I think valuing the overall package at around £50 is pretty fair. The cost is actually higher; and would be higher still if you got your Stadia sub when the service was launched - obviously the value of anything like this will fall over time (if only because the season passes get used up). Of all the things to argue about over Stadia, I really don't get why this one comes up all the time.

Playerbase is the killer element missing from a title like D2 on Stadia. On that account alone I prefer to play on console (or would prefer to play on any non-Stadia format). But it's been interesting seeing how the technical side works. It's been a right faff about to get it at its best - external monitor, ethernet, etc - and not 100% reliable (e.g. that controller issue I had, which remains undiagnosed and might well occur again - and would be a killer if it does). But when working at its best, which it often has been on Ethernet at 1080p, I can't agree that performance is better on console. It simply isn't. On the basis of my experience I'm very happy to accept Hass's assertion that using a CCU and the Stadia controller he gets a solid 60fps. That alone elevates its performance above any console version. Throw in the bane of the console D2 experience - loading times and the performance of menus, which you're farting about in constantly and are the subject of endless complaint from D2 players - and Stadia wins the performance battle hands-down: loading times and menu delays are virtually non-existent. So that's a big plus. If a CCU/Stadia controller setup gives you a solid 60 frames on top of that, it's the clear winner in performance terms.

But if there's no-one much playing on the platform, I'm not about to throw money at a CCU and Stadia controller just for 60 frames and better loading times. I'm not saying it's worth that. I'm just saying it's worth something. With next-gen consoles just around the corner, though, maybe not much or for much longer... if they live up to expectations, that is. (Christ, manufacturers and developers, please don't prioritise super-high resolution over framerate and performance this time. Pretty please?)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, replicant said:

Have you tried X-Cloud yet?

Not yet, I'll give it a go now that it's rolled out to the EU and see how it compares.

Part of the reason I've held back though is that it doesn't offer me anything my current Xbox doesn't. Stadia has opened up a number of TVs for me to play on in my house which just aren't accessible to a console without a massive faff. Xcloud on the other hand seems to be giving me the handheld experience I'm not really interested in at home. Or to put it another way, Stadia in my mind is attempting to replace my console and PC whereas Xcloud is enabling me to play games on the bog. I've absolutely no doubt that Xbox Series X will be the best place to play MS games in the future so I'm sure I'll end up owning one for the same reason I own an X now.

3 hours ago, Gorf King said:

You might well, as might I. But people in this thread repeatedly say that the Stadia version is free elsewhere. It isn't.

Fair enough, fuck knows really. I got something called "Destiny 2" on PS Plus, it didn't say anything about free to play, I'm surprised people didn't bitch if we got a Free to play as a monthly game.

Ah yeah, that was the PS Plus deal in September 2018. That came before D2 went partially free-to-play, and it's got less content than the free-to-play version we have now - there's another couple of years worth of content comes after that which is included in the full Stadia package.

• Upvote 1

I've summarised my experiences on the last few pages, and a bit repetitively too, so I'm reluctant to say it all again. But basically, it depends on the hardware and settings I've been using - I can see why you get so many diverging opinions. I have 50-60Mbps down. Wifi on b/g/n is a no-go imo. Apparently ac is fine, but I've never tried that. Switching to ethernet was fine for me. I've been playing in Chrome using a DS4 on a MBP. On the MBP's screen, performance and PQ suffered, but attaching an external 1080p monitor (which is what I game on anyway) and dialling the Stadia stream down to 1080p/60fps removed that. With those settings I didn't notice any gameplay lag but it isn't quite a steady 60fps - you get dropped frames fairly often. But in Crucible (PvP) there was actually less player lag than on console - possibly due to the fact that it's not got the same peer-to-peer calcs as console D2. That actually felt tighter than on console. Menu and loading times are a very welcome fraction of what they are on console, which is a huge benefit.

I've had some issues with the controller going skew-whiff two or three times and making the game unplayable, but I'm not sure what caused that. I'll probably have a good go at Metro over the weekend and see how everything works there without the PvP/PvE multiplayer considerations.

Based on my limited experience and the quite considerable effects of what connection/hardware you're using, I'm happy to accept Hass's statement that on a Chromecast Ultra and Stadia controller over ac or Ethernet you're likely to get a solid 60fps and no appreciable lag if your internet connection is decent (50mps+, low contention/latency). It can be surprisingly good, but is so context- and hardware-sensitive I don't see it gaining any real ground in its current form.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Hass said:

I don't know what any of these words mean but I know no one is posting stuff like this after playing a game on PS4/Xbox/Switch.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, PyramidFace said:

I don't know what any of these words mean but I know no one is posting stuff like this after playing a game on PS4/Xbox/Switch.

You need good WiFi to play game streaming. That's it

11 hours ago, Gorf King said:

I have 50-60Mbps down. Wifi on b/g/n is a no-go imo. Apparently ac is fine, but I've never tried that. 

I used my Surface Pro 2  to stream wirelessly and it was flawless. I wanted to test how broken I could make it because I was simultaneously streaming the UHD Premier League from Amazon on the TV.

Should've used a wireless controller instead of a Xbox controller via USB.

11 hours ago, Hass said:

You need good WiFi to play game streaming. That's it

which most people don’t have. So when Stadia doesn’t work they’ll just go, that’s fucking shot, and bin it.

95% of people have no idea about different sorts of wifi.

• Upvote 2

I imagine if pressed most would guess that Wi-Fi (ala Hi-Fi) is short for Wireless Fidelity.

I know I would.

• Upvote 1

Lots of people call their broadband, coming in through whatever sort of cable, wi-fi.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

I imagine if pressed most would guess that Wi-Fi (ala Hi-Fi) is short for Wireless Fidelity.

I know I would.

When of course it's Wireless, Fireless, representing how it avoids the house fires caused by badly insulated cabling.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

I know I would.

Wildly Finicky, from my experience.

Wi-Fi has always been sub-par for gaming, streaming or not.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, deKay said:

which most people don’t have. So when Stadia doesn’t work they’ll just go, that’s fucking shot, and bin it.

95% of people have no idea about different sorts of wifi.

I dunno - people stuck with Netflix through the buffering days. 

15 minutes ago, Hass said:

I don’t remember Netflix ever really struggling that much tbh and I’ve used it since it started. 

• Upvote 1

I don't remember Netflix requiring complex user input to be reflected on screen with minimum possible delay.

• Upvote 2

Yeah.  Netflix buffers, you wait and continue from where you were.

Stadia buffers, you've just driven a car into a hedge.

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, Hass said:

Totally different *because* of buffering.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I don’t remember Netflix ever really struggling that much tbh and I’ve used it since it started. 

It did when I was on Sky “I can’t believe it’s legal to call 0.01Mb/s” Broadband :)

Nah - Netflix was a poor experience until bb speeds and wifi got throughput to an acceptable level. Same thing will happen here with latency, it's already there in the latest WiFi tech so you don't even have to read the tea leaves, it's just a matter of time. 

1 hour ago, Hass said:

Nah - Netflix was a poor experience until bb speeds and wifi got throughput to an acceptable level. Same thing will happen here with latency, it's already there in the latest WiFi tech so you don't even have to read the tea leaves, it's just a matter of time. 

Most people just stick with the shitty router Talk Talk or Sky give them though.

• Upvote 1

The hardware is going to be the big problem, yeah. Increasing broadband capacity is just a thing that happens over time. Latency improvements too. But the baseline quality of ISP-supplied routers hasn’t moved on since they started handing them out, and I can’t see Stadia being the big break-through that convinces ISPs to spend a small fortune on better ones.

Yeah, and "the console that doesn't need a console" isn't as impressive when you find out don't need a console but you do need a controller. And a Chromecast. And to pay every month. Oh, and a new mesh wi-fi system in your house.

That and more and more people don't even have fibre home broadband any more - they're 3/4 and presumably seen, 5G.

30 minutes ago, deKay said:

Most people just stick with the shitty router Talk Talk or Sky give them though.

I do exactly that. I know I could get a better router but it does what I need for free. Am I going to upgrade for stadia? Nope. 

On 31/01/2020 at 17:21, Hass said:

Not yet, I'll give it a go now that it's rolled out to the EU and see how it compares.

It is worth checking out when it rolls out in your neck of the wood.  I've only dabbled in it a few times since getting into the Alpha, but it is impressive. 

The only downer being it is Android only so to use it I need to use my old S7 Edge (I'm 100% iOS now).