rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia - 2 months free pro (as long as you don’t want to use a chromecast)

20 minutes ago, Hass said:

I'm lost - what devices are you talking about? 

Well, computers or things that plug into your TV rather than telephones.

51 minutes ago, deKay said:

Well, computers or things that plug into your TV rather than telephones.

It already works on computers through Chrome (on Windows and Mac and, apparently, Linux, but I've not personally used it with Linux and there are reports of it needing 'tweaks' which is not surprising but massively misses the point, imo).

For the moment, you have to plug a controller into the computer (the Stadia one, or an XBOX / PS4 one), but this latest announcement says you'll soon be able to use the Stadia controller wirelessly with Chrome, the same way you already can with the Chromecast.

12 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

It already works on computers through Chrome (on Windows and Mac and, apparently, Linux, but I've not personally used it with Linux and there are reports of it needing 'tweaks' which is not surprising but massively misses the point, imo).

For the moment, you have to plug a controller into the computer (the Stadia one, or an XBOX / PS4 one), but this latest announcement says you'll soon be able to use the Stadia controller wirelessly with Chrome, the same way you already can with the Chromecast.

I thought this was only with the buddy pass, and to use it "properly" you still needed a Chromecast Ultra. Is that not the case?

Does the controller connect directly "to the cloud" yet, as promised?

If anyone has a buddy pass going spare (I believe they gave people three extra ones recently?) I wouldn't say no.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I thought this was only with the buddy pass, and to use it "properly" you still needed a Chromecast Ultra. Is that not the case?

The Buddy Pass gives you 3 months of Stadia 'Pro' for free.  You obviously don't get any hardware with it, but you can stream on any old Chromecast Ultra, a Google Pixel phone or a computer through Chrome.  On a computer you can use mouse & keyboard or a controller (Stadia, XBox or PS4) plugged in.  If you're using a Chromecast Ultra then there's no way of using anything other than a Stadia controller, which you have to connect wirelessly.  The controller connects straight to the Stadia server, and not the Chromecast.  You essentially end up with 2 clients to the same game session, which they say helps to reduce lag (which seems sensible to me).  I've not used it with a phone (as I'm a stinky iOS user) but I'm fairly sure you have to plug the controller into the phone, too.

The controller has been able to connect 'to the cloud' for Chromecast use from day one.  It's the only controller you can use with Chromecast, and the only way of connecting it - you can't plug it into the Chromecast - there's no ports to plug it in to.

Of the things that they promised before launch, the ones that I'm interested in which are yet to be released are:

• iOS support (no real word on when this will come apart from 'this year')
  • Wireless Stadia controller support on computer (confirmed as coming soon in the latest press release)
  • Family share (coming 'early this year' apparently - I'm keen to not have to buy 2nd copies of games for my wife and sons' accounts, you know, like you don't on PS4 / XBox)

Things that seem a bit of an oversight or half-hearted:

• screenshot and video capture is a bit pointless - the captures go to the Stadia app on your phone and (on iOS at least) there's no way of sharing them other than taking another screenshot or video capture - very shoddy, and is probably keeping a lot of positive chatter off social media.  I've captured a few screenshots / videos of spectacular vistas in Tomb Raider, or funny bits of Destiny which I can't really share without really ruining their quality.  You can't even rotate the phone to view in landscape, or zoom in...
  • you can only buy new games via the app, not via the gaming interface, which just seems like a pointless barrier to me, and one which is almost certainly costing Google money.

Things that you can't do that I don't really care about:

• jump into a game from watching a stream / youtube video.  I just don't think I've ever wanted to do that.
  • share your game and let others jump into the game at that point.  Again, not something I've ever found myself yearning for.
  • native 4k/60 streaming in every game.  Fairly sure my internet's not up to it for Stadia, but I can't actually tell the difference between a decent 4k stream and a decent 1080p stream in e.g. Netflix anyway.

I don't have any spare Buddy Passes I'm afraid - I was given 2, and each one is for 3 months of 'Pro' membership.  You don't get a 'Founders' username with the buddy pass - you get a name like 'yourusername#1234' where 1234 is a random number.  I don't quite get the logic behind this, apart from trying to do away with the whole xX_TheRealRealFretnoise_Xx nonsense, but that might just be a side effect and my age showing...

Sorry - a bit of a rambling post.

TL;DR -  No, you can stream to any supported device regardless of whether you have a buddy pass or not, but you need the right (supported) hardware.  And yes, the controller's been able to connect straight to the cloud from day one.

• Upvote 3

For example, here’s the best quality screenshot I can share - it’s a crop of a screenshot of my phone in portrait mode, so I think roughly half the resolution of the original 1080p streamed image.  I don’t care about 4K/60 streaming, but this does bug me. Go figure :)

D7FBDAA3-5D75-4700-BA17-0ABB06F70D0A.jpeg

Edit - that's 828px wide, so 43% of the original 1080p image... :blink:

13 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

Things that you can't do that I don't really care about:

• jump into a game from watching a stream / youtube video.  I just don't think I've ever wanted to do that.

To be honest, this is probably the *only* thing I want it to do.

2 hours ago, deKay said:

For some reason I thought that you could sign-up for Stadia Pro without a buddy pass these days but apparently not - fair challenge!

22 minutes ago, deKay said:

To be honest, this is probably the *only* thing I want it to do.

You have to own (or be prepared to buy) the game though.  Oh well - horses for courses :)

20 minutes ago, Hass said:

For some reason I thought that you could sign-up for Stadia Pro without a buddy pass these days but apparently not - fair challenge!

Well you can't be a Founder any more, but you can get the Premiere Edition (which is like the Founder's edition in that you're buying a controller and a Chromecast Ultra, and 3 months subs), but you don't get a Founder's name, and you don't get the funky Founder's controller.  You can't just sign up for the service on its own yet.

How do you play (in Chrome) in not-fullscreen? If I resize the window it pauses the game and then resuming makes it full screen again.

Also, pausing the game kicks you out after a while. Which is nice. You don't even resume from where you were - you have to start again or reload a save. Not how I expected it to work.

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

How do you play (in Chrome) in not-fullscreen? If I resize the window it pauses the game and then resuming makes it full screen again.

Err - yeah, I don't think you can.

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

Also, pausing the game kicks you out after a while. Which is nice. You don't even resume from where you were - you have to start again or reload a save. Not how I expected it to work.

You're supposed to get 15 minutes or so.  You can switch devices in that time to 'seamlessly' move from TV to laptop when your other half wants to watch Call The Midwife, for example.

15 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

Err - yeah, I don't think you can.

You're supposed to get 15 minutes or so.  You can switch devices in that time to 'seamlessly' move from TV to laptop when your other half wants to watch Call The Midwife, for example.

15 minutes isn't really enough time to eat my tea.

Yeah, 15 mins. How impactful this is primarily comes down to how each game handles saving progress today which is obviously largely based on an assumption of local hardware for these ports.

I’m doing my best here. I really like Stadia and really want it to do well. But then they keep doing stuff like this:

A9370D3D-F0CA-4947-8098-4604C0E20B19.jpeg

That’s an email sent to me, this morning, telling me about the “new” Pro games that I can claim. You know, the ones they released back on the 1st, and, if they’d bothered, they could tell I’d already claimed both of. Pfft...

Technically it's incredible but the product management still has a long way to go.

It needs a longer roadmap, it needs the pro sub to compete with Game Pass and it needs to remove currently artificial barriers to access by delivering the non-pro model and making pro available without a hardware purchase. 

But the potential energy is incredible in my view. 2020 will be very interesting.

The blurring and loading times on Farm Simulator are horrific. I’m not normally bothered by pop up in games either, but when The Power Of Stadia should do away with them it’s pretty disappointing.

Yes I realise it’s Farm Simulator.

I've not played Farm Simulator. Are you talking about the quality of the port or do you think you're experiencing streaming issues? If it's the later, WiFi or Ethernet?

Loading times are in the game itself. It takes 30+ seconds to load the game. Pop up is clearly server side too.

The blurring seems to be streaming as it sometimes completely pixelates too.

I didn’t notice input lag but tractors aren’t really very responsive in real life. I’m on Ethernet, and these issues are there on both my home 72Mb and work’s 1Gb connections.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

You're playing Farm Simulator at work???

I’m a farmer. It’s research.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, deKay said:

Loading times are in the game itself. It takes 30+ seconds to load the game. Pop up is clearly server side too.

The blurring seems to be streaming as it sometimes completely pixelates too.

I didn’t notice input lag but tractors aren’t really very responsive in real life. I’m on Ethernet, and these issues are there on both my home 72Mb and work’s 1Gb connections.

Do you use a VPN or anything that could direct the traffic via strange routing? My experience of Ethernet is rock solid fwiw.

3 hours ago, deKay said:

I’m a farmer. It’s research.

Are you really a farmer?

• Empathy 1

I may be way off the mark here but things like pop up and load times aren't exclusively linked to horse power of hardware are they ?

A crap inefficient engine is always a crap inefficient engine, you may be able to get some more out of it by hardware alone but it hits a point where only optimisation of the underlying code will make things better.

23 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Are you really a farmer?

No.

1 hour ago, Hass said:

Do you use a VPN or anything that could direct the traffic via strange routing? My experience of Ethernet is rock solid fwiw.

No.