Google Stadia - “PS4 beating performance for Cyberpunk 2077, now on your iPhone”

After a hiatus I spent a few hours with D2 on this yesterday and it was totally brilliant. Didn't skip a beat the whole time, just seamless 60fps on Escalation Protocol. The community size is definitely improving too as there weren't any matchmaking issues in the "popular" pools I tried (Iron Banner, normal strikes). I also swear that Bungie have bumped the resolution on this behind the scenes because it looks super crisp to my eyes. Not a full 4k image but certainly looks a lot better than 1080p upscaled. Super fast load times for everything too, the experience was just fantastic.

The only big downside for me is that the Chrome experience still isn't as good as the Chromecast Ultra experience. I get frame drops and stuttering on Chrome that are sufficient to annoy me but I have a feeling that's because the hardware I'm running this on (Pixelbook driving an external 4k monitor via a USB-C hub) is bottlenecking somewhere. It's hard to tell because Stadia doesn't give you any insight into your local hardware's suitability but I'm pretty sure there's scope for variable experience here still. The only other bug-bear I have is that the volume streamed through the Stadia controller doesn't go loud enough for my tastes, especially for PUBG which depends a lot of audio. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/14/21323326/google-stadia-exclusive-game-deals-harmonix-rock-band-supermassive-until-dawn

Google has signed on five new developers to make exclusive titles for its Stadia cloud gaming service. Two of those five already have fully realized projects, with one ready for release.

Developer Splash Damage, which developed the recent Microsoft exclusive Gears Tactics, is now making an online multiplayer game called Outcasters, while popular strategy and tower defense studio Robot Entertainment has its third installment in its Orcs Must Die! series arriving on Stadia today as part of the Stadia Pro subscription or for $29.99. (Orcs Must Die! 3 was previously announced as a Stadia exclusive in August 2019.)

But the bigger news, part of Google’s broader Stadia Connect event on Tuesday, is that Google has teamed up with Rock Band developer Harmonix and Until Dawn studio Supermassive Games to bring exclusive games to the platform at some point in the future. Also included in its slate of upcoming exclusives is a new title from lesser-known studio Uppercut Games, known for popular mobile and cross-platform games like Epoch and Submerged.

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

If it's safe to assume Harmonix would be making a rhythm action game, that seems like an odd fit.  From my brief time with Thumper, it's just laggy enough for it to feel bad.

Yeah if anything is going to show everyone there is inherent lag here it's a game that's literally synced.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah the sales have been pretty good, I picked up Doom Eternal, Ass Creed and The Crew 2 on sale. RDR2 only ever seems to go down to about £45 when the consoles get it for £25. I guess it's the biggest game on Stadia but I'd actually buy it again if it were cheap enough. 

11 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I like the idea of 64-player bomberman, but it sounds like you play on a series of much smaller instances that are steadily removed as players are eliminated. Rather than one scrolling 64-player fiasco.

I wonder if they would do it a la Fortnite with a massive, shrinking arena? Could be a lot of fun.

Ended up streaming Super Bomberman R online for a couple of hours last night and it was great fun. You have a giant map split up with 16 different mini arenas all linked. After every minute around ends, two of the arenas are destroyed and all the player can move to any of the remaining arenas. It is actually possible for all 64 players to move to the same section, but would get very cramped. In the final arena you get three minutes then blocks start dropping like crazy.

Really great fun, really enjoyed,  each of the characters have their own abilities and power up levels, some are really fun. However, Downside I quickly realised some characters are out matched by others, some are way to powerful Alucard can take a bomb blast in mist form. Some characters can only drop one bomb max, putting them at a huge disavantage and the list goes on. I can see in a few weeks time only certain characters winning online matches and everyone playing as one or two characters.

I won at the 1 hr 55 min mark with Vic Viper, who has a real advantage with his speed dash. Not keen on the fact everyone has 2 hearts and opponents drop a heart on death. If you have two you can use nasty self kill tactics if you know they are on one, like lance's gun shot to blow a bomb up and claim your defeated opponents heart drop. Minor balancing issues aside it's a huge amount of fun. Best online Bomberman title to date.

The Chrome experience here is still nowhere near as good as Chromecast. Playing Doom Eternal on Chromecast over Ethernet is a proper console replacement experience but trying the same on a decent Chromebox work have given me still results in poor framerate that destroys the experience. Weird.

• 4 weeks later...

If it going dead quiet in here wasn't clue enough, the death of Stadia has begun at Google.

They've launched a new Chromecast that's also a full smart TV stick running Android.

Does it support Stadia? Does it fuck.  Will it ever? Next year. Maybe. Shut up you're not my real dad.

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “PS4 beating performance for Cyberpunk 2077, now on your iPhone”