Google Stadia - “PS4 beating performance for Cyberpunk 2077, now on your iPhone”

Another interesting bit in the original Business Insider article that the Kotaku one is based on:

This concern — that Google might just give up on Stadia at some point and kill the service, as it has done with so many other services over the years — was repeatedly brought up, unprompted, by every person we spoke with for this piece.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-are-so-few-games-on-google-stadia-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

5 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Google reaping what they sow. That'll become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It doesn’t have to be, they’re just cheapskates. They could have invested in launching this when it was ready, not having every step of this thing being a joke and paying developers enough to give them some security even if they do shutter it. 

Instead they want to run it like YouTube. Barebones, slow iteration, no humans to talk to, just raise a ticket and one of the four support slaves will get to it when they can. They even go so far as to blame the developers when anything goes wrong. 

Why anyone would look at Google and think “this is the future of gaming I want to support,” is beyond me. 

The annoying thing about Google is they can and do make good stuff at a technical and product design level. But they just kind of dump them on the market with a skeleton crew and move on. The whole corporation is like a stressed middle aged guy moving from hobby to hobby as a previous poster said. This week photography, next week lego, the week after that airguns. 

6 hours ago, deerokus said:

The annoying thing about Google is they can and do make good stuff at a technical and product design level. But they just kind of dump them on the market with a skeleton crew and move on. The whole corporation is like a stressed middle aged guy moving from hobby to hobby as a previous poster said. This week photography, next week lego, the week after that airguns. 

Sounds a bit like Phil Harrison’s career - Sony, the week after that, Atari, Gaikai, Microsoft, Google.

The fact such a damning story about Stadia has generated so little discussion on a gaming forum sums up just how little impact they are making. Google getting into games should be the biggest thing to happen to the traditional games market since Microsoft launched the Xbox but instead people seem at best indifferent to the whole thing. looking back over this thread how many times have people asked variations of the question "so whats the big hook apart from it being Google" and that hasn't been answered almost four months. The hook for this compared to Xcloud, PS Now etc. still seems to be "Its Google". That Google seem to be adopting the same approach when it comes to attracting developer support doesn't sound great.     

If they were fully supporting the concept you'd think they would have tried to either create an internal studio to make their own games or buy an established studio while this was all in the planning. Since they've done neither it just adds to the doubt about their commitment long term.

They need to go all in now or it's dead in the water by the end of the year.

I agree totally with that, no one in their right mind is going to want to part with £60+ for Doom Eternal or Cyberpunk on s service that could be canned. I wouldn’t be surprised if publishers start pulling out now too. 

On 03/03/2020 at 15:31, Revival said:

If they were fully supporting the concept you'd think they would have tried to either create an internal studio to make their own games or buy an established studio while this was all in the planning. Since they've done neither it just adds to the doubt about their commitment long term.

They need to go all in now or it's dead in the water by the end of the year.

And just like that...

I'm surprised they didn't just buy an existing one like MS did with Bungie.

Anyone played Serious Sam on this yet? I don't think I'll have any time to play it but I've never played the series before so it might be worth a flutter before Doom arrives?

27 minutes ago, Dudley said:

If they're opening a studio now internally it's 3 years too late.

It just speaks to the absolute naivety and cluelessness of the whole venture, even it were Nintendo, Capcom, Microsoft etc. making this announcement we’d be like, and what? They (Google) have no history whatsoever of making video games so therefore we have no frame of reference, it means bugger all. 

On 03/03/2020 at 16:45, Stanley said:

I agree totally with that, no one in their right mind is going to want to part with £60+ for Doom Eternal or Cyberpunk on s service that could be canned. I wouldn’t be surprised if publishers start pulling out now too. 

Come on now. Google wouldn't just depreciated one of their shitty products.

Love the quote that came with the announcement

Google's Jade Raymond said that 'The new Playa Vista studio will focus on delivering exclusive games, using new gameplay mechanics, creative ways to play together and unique interaction models that we’re just starting to explore.' 

Absolute drivel non-speak.

32 minutes ago, deerokus said:

What was the last game Jade Raymond actually put out? Seems to jump around the industry a lot. 

Assassin’s Creed I think, and didn’t she work on the story part of SWBFII?

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

"that we're just starting to explore" is the key takeaway there. Let's see if Stadia lasts long enough for the studio to even get beyond the pre-production stage with their first game.

Yeah, which was my 3 year reference, did Jade not tell them games take time?

I cancelled my pro sub on this - there simply isn't anything unique to play on it at present and anything that does release isn't worth buying as would be a free pro game within a month or two

The tech is interesting but seems to be falling short of their pre-launch promises and my suspicion is they'll plug away at it for a year or so more but it feels a bit DOA in its current form, and I can't see publishers/devs rushing to support it with costly bespoke Stadia releases (this seems a problem, I kind of assumed it would play anything native to PC).

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “PS4 beating performance for Cyberpunk 2077, now on your iPhone”