Google Stadia - “now you can add Ubisoft+, if you’re missing tower climbing in your life”

That's like the board giving you a vote of confidence in Championship Manager, a couple of weeks before firing you.

How is it doing, generally? Are people buying titles, or just getting the assortment of freebies I assume you get with a sub?

6 minutes ago, deKay said:

The company plans to begin offering its Stadia tech to publishers, opening up the possibility for Stadia to become the streaming tech for other video game companies. Google’s head of Stadia operations, longtime console executive Phil Harrison, will focus on pursuing these new partnerships.

That's interesting, but why would you roll your own? The minimum infrastructure to make it viable must be daft. Or, the bill for Google to make it viable for you would be daft. 

MS alone has a streaming product that covers PC, tablet, mobile, and two different games consoles, you’d have to be a complete sucker or filled with hubris to say “yes let’s just buy and run our own implementation”.

In the middle of a global pandemic when many are desperate for distraction and entertainment would have been a great time to really push your brand and tech to make people to sit up and take notice.

Google have done the exact opposite.

56d.gif

6 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

"He killed it!!"

All he does is kill products. Since the partial failure of the ps3 he's been involved in one of the many fake Atari, the Xbox One, gaikai and this. 

The Dido Harding of the game industry. 

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

How is it doing, generally? Are people buying titles, or just getting the assortment of freebies I assume you get with a sub?

I’ve added a few things from my pro sub that I thought I might like but I’ve not even started them up yet to see how they run - it’s a Cyberpunk 2077 player.

Any exclusive would have such a small audience it wouldn't be worth it surely? So shutting down their studio kind of makes sense, they probably shouldn't have started in the first place though. 

I dunno. The original big sell to me of Stadia was it was a platform built for the cloud. If it's just 3rd parties then all it'll do is host games I can play better on a console. 

This is a big thing about nothing. Can anyone even name one of their first party titles? I’ve bought a handful of games on Stadia, and what attracts me to the service is the convenience of playing them anywhere on basically any device I own, and with very little hardware needed. It’s certainly not for the first party output.

I was under the impression that Microsoft acquiring Zenimax (bethesda, etc) - who chose to sell - was about buying stuff up before Google, Apple or Amazon swooped in to make those titles available for their services.  

Is Google pulling the plug or about to start buying publishers and developers? 

15 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I was under the impression that Microsoft acquiring Zenimax (bethesda, etc) - who chose to sell - was about buying stuff up before Google, Apple or Amazon swooped in to make those titles available for their services.  

I don’t think you shut down your publishing operation before going on a publisher and developer buying spree.

https://killedbygoogle.com

Is Jade Raymond still hireable at this point? The last game she shipped was in 2015. She’s had 2 very bad moves in a row, which is a shame as the first one to EA to work on the Star Wars game that got shitcanned seemed great for her at the time.

Phil Harrison, meanwhile, has always been useless. He must know where so many bodies are buried.

You knew it wouldn't last long because Google and yet it still surprises me how fast the end has started approaching. After seemingly getting a lot of people on board through the Cyberpunk deal, I thought they'd use the momentum to turn the drive up a notch. Instead, little over a month later...

2 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Any exclusive would have such a small audience it wouldn't be worth it surely? So shutting down their studio kind of makes sense, they probably shouldn't have started in the first place though. 

Without exclusives then why would someone choose Stadia over a rival service? 

I chose it because it was dirt cheap so well worth taking a punt on - it had a game I wanted to play, gave me everything for free for the price of the game and I didn’t need to buy a console to play it.

It was perfect for that, and I’ve been over the moon with it - but I can’t think there is much of a sustainable market there. Most people who want to play these games will probably already have a console.

9 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

In 2021, we’re expanding our efforts to help game developers and publishers take advantage of our platform technology and deliver games directly to their players. We see an important opportunity to work with partners seeking a gaming solution all built on Stadia’s advanced technical infrastructure and platform tools. We believe this is the best path to building Stadia into a long-term, sustainable business that helps grow the industry.

So, probably not going to replace their in-house studios with some acquired studios, no.

https://blog.google/products/stadia/focusing-on-stadias-future-as-a-platform-and-winding-down-sge

I doubt that Stadia is over, but abandoning internal game development is an expensive failure for Google and will not be good for the degree of in-house game development expertise and interest as they make decisions around the project in the future. Doesn't it have a clear future as a generic game streaming platform? Sure, but if you want generic, Luna captures all of the least interesting aspects of Stadia and it's going to be hard to compete with Amazon's willingness to make zero money in the pursuit of market share.

Edit - Speaking of Amazon, if things already weren’t going smoothly in Google’s game dev operation, I imagine the recent articles about how the Bezos big tech pipeline  was singularly unsuited to making videogames might’ve nudged a few people.

51 minutes ago, choddo said:

@ZOKThe video I saw about this said it was too expensive. Did you have to pay for Cyberpunk on top of paying for the service as virtualised hardware?

The deal was you buy Cyberpunk for £50 (although most people also got a £10 voucher for creating an account so £40) and you get Cyberpunk, the chromecast ultra & the pad.  There's no additional monthly cost involved to play Cyberpunk at that point.  You can choose to pay £8.99 for the pro sub which gives you access to around 30 other games similar to the old PS+ thing where they rotate in and out but if you claim them you have access as long as you have an active pro sub.  You can stop the sub and restart it lated any all your claimed games will be available again. 

I've paid for a few games on here now in the sales in addition to the pro sub and it's fantastic for me.  I don't think this news means they'll be shutting down the whole service, and to be honest I don't think any of the first party titles they have coming are going to be that amazing so no big loss.  If they can white-label it so that Ubisoft for example can bake it into their Ubi+ thing so you log into their site, sign up and then click play to launch the game in the browser then maybe that's a way forward for them.

1 hour ago, choddo said:

@ZOKThe video I saw about this said it was too expensive. Did you have to pay for Cyberpunk on top of paying for the service as virtualised hardware?

No, you can use the non-Pro service for free but you have to buy the games. Cyberpunk was in a deal where you got a Stadia Premium pack (controller + ChromeCast Ultra) for free when you preordered for £50.

Non-pro (“Base”) Stadia is limited to 1080p and stereo rather than 5.1 sound, but I think that’s about it as far as the quality of the stream goes. Pro gets you a few games to add to your account every month, with the usual thing of them only being available whilst you’re subscribed.  Anything you claimed whilst a member is available again if you resubscribe though. 

Edit: yeah, what @Jonny5 said :) 

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “now you can add Ubisoft+, if you’re missing tower climbing in your life”