Google Stadia - “now you can add Ubisoft+, if you’re missing tower climbing in your life”

41 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Ha ha, fuck me! Thread is too bleak to read so just dropped it in, just in case it was of use. Lesson learned.

Why is it too bleak to read? It’s pretty much exclusively populated by people who have Stadia and love it.

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “it’s too bleak to read, say streaming fans”
7 hours ago, footle said:

If they make it playable on any old chromecast ultra with a controller I actually own, I’d be interested.

Can you use any pad you own with a PlayStation? What about an Xbox?

The Stadia controller is one of the reasons that stadia works so well, so ensuring the under tv experience is the best it can be by limiting it to their own controller doesn’t seem particularly bad. 

The amount of conditions gamers put out that if only stadia did this I’d use it but until then I’m not interested is ridiculous. 

Stadia could have the full gamepass & ps+/psnow library and work with every controller ever made and people would still moan about how they need to send out fake boxes to put on your shelf and if they did that and allowed you to download the games and play them offline in 30 years time then maybe they’d consider using it. 

Gamers are weird. 

3 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

The Stadia controller is one of the reasons that stadia works so well, so ensuring the under tv experience is the best it can be by limiting it to their own controller doesn’t seem particularly bad. 

The amount of conditions gamers put out that if only stadia did this I’d use it but until then I’m not interested is ridiculous. 

Stadia could have the full gamepass & ps+/psnow library and work with every controller ever made and people would still moan about how they need to send out fake boxes to put on your shelf and if they did that and allowed you to download the games and play them offline in 30 years time then maybe they’d consider using it. 

Gamers are weird. 

I think this is all part of the reason Stadia hasn't quite taken off as it could have. They've tried to position it as direct competitor to those very established brands, but most people are just seeing the product for what it is - a stream sent to a screen, for all the benefits and drawbacks - and wondering why it still seems to have these limitations. The point should have been (if you ask me anyway) that it's NOT a PlayStation or Xbox and rather than buying into a gaming brand/platform/tech you're taking your games wherever you go, no new devices needed, etc.

Especially given that the tech reason (controller talking direct to WiFi) never actually materialised? It doesn't seem unreasonable that any pad that works as a generic Bluetooth device could be supported (.. maybe it is? Or just not on Chromecasts?)

Sounds like Google are going that way with phone-as-controller, and possibly even ditching the pad. This seems a bit hasty if true: couldn't they find a way to position it as the pro controller or something?

16 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

Especially given that the tech reason (controller talking direct to WiFi) never actually materialised?

It's the other way around. The controllers do talk direct to wifi. But the onboard bluetooth has never been enabled to use the controller as a standard bluetooth controller.

I think that the fact that today people probably couldn't be bothered to show up for this even if it was just a free app download that came with £200 in cash is a vivid demonstration of how efficiently Google have fucked this, not the irrationality of gamers. Nobody hates it, nobody is raising any criticisms or concerns that weren't there at launch, it's just that nobody gives a shit.

When it launched it cost £150 and everyone had questions about the business model, and Google's answers were about as solid as Microsoft's plans for Xbox One preowned games. PR fuck-up numero uno: it's not enough to build something that is good on paper. They have had one big promo which they tied in to Cyberpunk, a game with its own stench of corporate hubris (bad luck!), and which was timed to compete with two next gen console launches for news coverage. PR fuck-up two: they thought they were bigger than Jesus, or that they could at least slipstream off Jesus. The entire post-launch news cycle has been games industry people quitting Google - not just because those people are quitting, but because there's nothing else to say about it. PR fuck-up three: giving up.

It's there, sure! It lets you play games over the internet like the XCloud and PS Now services you can already access! Except instead of the subscription model those services have taught people to expect for streaming, you have to pay the retail price for each game, it's from a company with a long history of cancelling products, and every credible employee is leaving the product.

Boy, why wouldn't people just flock to that? All they have to do is rename it Streaming To Desktop and it'll be the perfect product.

46 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

Gamers are weird. 

I thought you could use any controller with Stadia, just that Stadia’s own works better? 

15 minutes ago, Dr_Dave said:

It's the other way around. The controllers do talk direct to wifi. But the onboard bluetooth has never been enabled to use the controller as a standard bluetooth controller.

Aha, thanks, I see: I was thinking of the launch issues where this connection method only worked for Chromecasts and everything else needed wires. Which was fixed last year right?

19 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

a vivid demonstration of how efficiently Google have fucked this, not the irrationality of gamers. Nobody hates it, nobody is raising any criticisms or concerns that weren't there at launch, it's just that nobody gives a shit.

I think they had an uphill battle, everyone expected streamed games to be laggy or unresponsive or to eat their their data cap (usa). 

To be honest, it still surprises me that streaming gets talked about. I know people think it works well, that it feels good, but I am totally uninterested and assume most people aren't. I've thought about how since I have access to Microsoft's version of streamed games that it would be kinda cool to sync my controller to my phone and try it out, but even that's too much effort, I have no enthusiasm for it at all. 

I don't know if that's just how the vast majority of people feel about streamed games or not, but it might be. Which probably is a bit irrational. 

Having accidentally hit reply before completing my stream of consciousness post, I am half blaming Google, for fucking Stadia, as you say, but I think they were still selling something that people just didn't want and attempting to reframe the product (as something functional)  might have been too hard for Google to do alone. 

It's kind of a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, people generally don't mind having a games console near the TV. That's the problem for Google, not even how good or bad Stadia is, or the software or the launch promotion.

From a tech point of view I had complete faith in it - I’ve got bad enough reaction times that I’ve played about half of the PS4 generation on Vita or PC Remote Play and not felt hard done by. It’s just that there’s a big hole there where the product should be. Why should I buy my new games on there?

Maybe that’s the point? When someone gets a Google Play movie or book or album they’re just buying a product, not buying in to a platform, right? Why shouldn’t you just be buying the game when you buy a game? Maybe it’s a non-platform by design. But then why the pizazz of the launch, the exclusivity, the look-at-what-new-stuff-streaming-can-do?

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

Certainly I can use any pad with Xcloud. The barrier is “can I connect it to my iPad or PC”, not the branding. The same applies with stadia, except if I want to use a tv.

I’ve already got loads of Bluetooth pads, and was an early adopter of chromecast ultra back in 2017.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

From a tech point of view I had complete faith in it - I’ve got bad enough reaction times that I’ve played about half of the PS4 generation on Vita or PC Remote Play and not felt hard done by. It’s just that there’s a big hole there where the product should be. Why should I buy my new games on there?

Maybe that’s the point? When someone gets a Google Play movie or book or album they’re just buying a product, not buying in to a platform, right? Why shouldn’t you just be buying the game when you buy a game? Maybe it’s a non-platform by design. But then why the pizazz of the launch, the exclusivity, the look-at-what-new-stuff-streaming-can-do?

Sorry, I hit reply early and have written more. 

I wonder if it might have been more successful had it not been Google. I can imagine that a lot of people who have made a choice about their phone or computer based on privacy associate Google with something to be avoided. I also wonder if Google's reputation for dropping products is in the public consciousness. I've written about this before here, but no way will I spend money with them on digital products again after they decided they were closing their music store, where I'd been buying albums for years and left me without access to my purchases. I have far more faith that I'll be able to hang onto my xbox purchases long after this hardware generation comes to an end. 

21 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

It's kind of a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, people generally don't mind having a games console near the TV. That's the problem for Google, not even how good or bad Stadia is, or the software or the launch promotion.

I think it’s entirely this, and not only do people not mind having a console, they prefer it. 

If Google had actually launched a hardware platform alongside the streaming service my guess is that it might have done better. 

You’ll notice that the Amazon Luna thread has basically disappeared, and they have more traction in videogames with Twitch.

8 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I still think it's the biggest tech flub of the covid crisis (along with VR, as much as all the VR bloggers tell us that's not true): Stadia could have been the thing that allowed us to play Jackbox, Among Us, Tricky Towers, etc, with our families and friends, just by sending a link and helping them sort out an input device. 

That's obviously wishful thinking in terms of the tech, but the original pitch made it sound like that's what it was going to do, or at least aim to do at some point. Somewhere along the way it seems to have become a service for enthusiasts and converts.

I’ve got this image brewing in the back of my mind of a Google Play Games service based on streaming that you could just show up and play - no premium subscription, no Chromecast-and-pad £150 exclusivity period, no special streaming gameplay - and a marketing analysis which shows existing gamers are loyal to their systems. And then this whole Stadia platform thing, the privilege of having to spend £150 if you’re an early adopter, the subscription that doesn’t work the way you think streaming subscriptions work, all that grows out of a misguided idea that to compete with the expensive games consoles and subscription services, you need to be selling an expensive games console and a subscription.

God, Amazon Luna, I’d forgotten about that. Google Stadia but as a cheap loss leader and still nobody cares.

16 minutes ago, footle said:

Certainly I can use any pad with Xcloud. The barrier is “can I connect it to my iPad or PC”, not the branding. The same applies with stadia, except if I want to use a tv.

I’ve already got loads of Bluetooth pads, and was an early adopter of chromecast ultra back in 2017.

You can use those same pads to play Stadia on any device you can currently play XCloud on.  

14 minutes ago, footle said:

You’ll notice that the Amazon Luna thread has basically disappeared, and they have more traction in videogames with Twitch.

Luna isn't available over here yet, I imagine when that changes there'll be more activity in the thread.

18 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think it’s entirely this, and not only do people not mind having a console, they prefer it. 

If Google had actually launched a hardware platform alongside the streaming service my guess is that it might have done better. 

Pretty much every person I know who is actively using Stadia (which admittedly isn't a huge sample) is a middle aged Dad who dropped off gaming and never had the spare money or time to get back into it. The low friction, low investment approach appeals to them. Not sure if this demographic is enough to build a platform off.

Isn’t Luna US-only and still in beta? So there isn’t much to talk about on here right now.

I can see them bundling a few games with Prime as a promo and selling controllers on Black Friday for a tenner, so certainly has potential.

10 minutes ago, Dr_Dave said:

Pretty much every person I know who is actively using Stadia (which admittedly isn't a huge sample) is a middle aged Dad who dropped off gaming and never had the spare money or time to get back into it. The low friction, low investment approach appeals to them. Not sure if this demographic is enough to build a platform off.

It could definitely work I think it just needs better integration with things like YouTube and compatibility with any pad you happen to have lying around, I’m sure that’s initially what they pitched. 

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It could definitely work I think it just needs better integration with things like YouTube and compatibility with any pad you happen to have lying around, I’m sure that’s initially what they pitched. 

The only pad restriction is with the Chromecast Ultra, for your laptop/phone/tablet you can use any wired/wireless controller.  You can also stream to youtube now with a single button, I don't know what was originally pitched, but the features have been slowly (very slowly!) coming.  

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

The only pad restriction is with the Chromecast Ultra, for your laptop/phone/tablet you can use any wired/wireless controller.  You can also stream to youtube now with a single button, I don't know what was originally pitched, but the features have been slowly (very slowly!) coming.  

I meant things like jumping into a stream on YouTube at that point in the game, can you launch Stadia games from the YouTube app now? 

I think it’s massively hamstrung by requiring Chromecast ultra and a pad (for tv), if they had a native tv app that would improve things no end. 

I seem to remember a rumour about the Stadia app being on new LG TVs for 2021 but that doesn’t seem to have materialised, that would be a huge boost. 

2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Sorry, I hit reply early and have written more. 

I wonder if it might have been more successful had it not been Google. I can imagine that a lot of people who have made a choice about their phone or computer based on privacy associate Google with something to be avoided. I also wonder if Google's reputation for dropping products is in the public consciousness. I've written about this before here, but no way will I spend money with them on digital products again after they decided they were closing their music store, where I'd been buying albums for years and left me without access to my purchases. I have far more faith that I'll be able to hang onto my xbox purchases long after this hardware generation comes to an end. 

This is the exact same reason why I am rather positive about VR but will never, ever buy an Oculus. To me, Facebook effectively killed Oculus when they bought it. Google's involvement with Stadia, really made me adopt a wait and see approach. Not going to be a guinea pig for corporations where gaming is going to be an afterthought. (Note: Microsoft started off like this for me as well when they introduced the Xbox, it took a while to fully trust them. Sony ditto.)

3 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

This is the exact same reason why I am rather positive about VR but will never, ever buy an Oculus. To me, Facebook effectively killed Oculus when they bought it. Google's involvement with Stadia, really made me adopt a wait and see approach. Not going to be a guinea pig for corporations where gaming is going to be an afterthought. (Note: Microsoft started off like this for me as well when they introduced the Xbox, it took a while to fully trust them. Sony ditto.)

PlayStation and Xbox had lots of support, exclusive content & killer apps from the off, that’s the big difference. 

25 minutes ago, Stanley said:

PlayStation and Xbox had lots of support, exclusive content & killer apps from the off, that’s the big difference. 

Yes, but they were not exactly gaming companies. Sony probably had more fingers in the pie at the time then I realised as a kid, but Microsoft's shitty OS was basically my work (ISP helpdesk) back then. They felt more like a liability than the next paragon of gaming. Both have earned trust by now, but if I was already sceptical with those two, Google would have an even worse time.

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Yes, but they were not exactly gaming companies. Sony probably had more fingers in the pie at the time then I realised as a kid, but Microsoft's shitty OS was basically my work (ISP helpdesk) back then. They felt more like a liability than the next paragon of gaming. Both have earned trust by now, but if I was already sceptical with those two, Google would have an even worse time time.

I remember a lot of resentment towards MS when Xbox was announced with people on forums and the like basically laughing at them and pretty much having the attitude that people have towards Google with Stadia, but then Halo came out and the rest is history. 

I went from having no interest whatsoever to counting down the days between the Edge 10 for Halo and the UK (PAL) release, it felt like an eternity! 

52 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

And people moaning about it.

The people who moan about it don’t use it - the people who do love it, because it’s brilliant.

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

The people who moan about it don’t use it - the people who do love it, because it’s brilliant.

Yeah but even those that love it are voicing concerns about whether Google will keep it running. 

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “now you can add Ubisoft+, if you’re missing tower climbing in your life”