Google Stadia - “now you can add Ubisoft+, if you’re missing tower climbing in your life”

3 hours ago, deerokus said:

The problem with that approach is the people who play those games already have consoles or a PC and don't mind downloading things. It's solving a problem that doesn't really exist for its target audience. 

It’s pretty much the definition of a solution looking for a problem.

Well... not really. One set of problems is slow loading times, slow downloads, restricted storage space and having to wait while games are patched. Those seem like problems that already exist, and are solved by playing on a streaming platform. 

1 hour ago, Gorf King said:

After it's been explained to them several times, you mean? Are you saying you and Stanley do not understand what I wrote? I assume Stanley does, as it was explained over a year ago, so continuing to claim that the content Stadia offered was free on all platforms does seem a little disingenuous, now that you mention it, unless you found my post bafflingly unnecessarily complex and you're still scratching your head over the concept that expansions and other DLC can cost money to buy.

(But let me add some hyperbole! Here's my list of non-sequiturs! I don't know why I'm exclaiming so much, I have nothing really to add! I guess I just like exclamation marks!)

I'm sure it's obvious to anyone who is clearly as passionate about Destiny 2 and Stadia as yourself, but I've played Destiny 2 for 20-odd hours and didn't find the business model (or the game!) easy to understand at all and can understand the confusion.

Looking into it a bit, the situation seem to have been:

• In October 2019, on release of the Shadowkeep expansion, Destiny 2 made anything before the Forsaken expansion free to play on PC/Xbox One/PS4.
  • Stadia Pro was released in November 2019. This involved a purchase of a Stadia starter pack for £119, which included the controller and free 3 months of Pro, when it expired you needed to pay for a Stadia Pro subscription at £8.99/mo or would revert to the base tier.
  • In its first year, through November 2019-November 2020, if you paid for Stadia Pro, you got to buy Destiny 2: The Collection which was free to claim which you can continue to play while you continued being a Pro subscriber at £8.99/mo. The equivalent on other platforms seems to be Destiny 2: Upgrade Edition at £39.99 retail. You had to retain the Pro subscription to continue to play (ala GWG/PS+), otherwise you could buy the standalone expansions and play them on Stadia Base at 1080p - there was no free-to-play version on Stadia, unlike on other platforms.
  • In March 2020, Stadia Pro became available in 4K on PC.
  • In April 2020, Stadia Pro was made available on PC month-to-month for £8.99 in April 2020 without having to pay for the starter pack
  • The free Stadia (previously Stadia Base) became open-to-all and base Destiny 2 became Free-to-Play on Stadia in November 2020 on the release of Beyond Light. The collection was no-longer available to claim by new subscribers but continued to be available. Beyond Light removed most of the base game content that was previously made F2P in October 2019. Anyone can buy for the stand-alone expansions, either for free at 1080p on base Stadia or play them on 4K on Stadio Pro by paying £8.99/month.
  • In November 2020, Destiny 2: Forsaken, Shadowkeep and Beyond Light became available on Gamepass at £5.99/mo retail. This is the equivalent of Destiny 2: Legendary Edition, which includes all three expansions at £69.99 retail.

Sorry, but I don't think any of this is massively obvious.

1 hour ago, K said:

Well... not really. One set of problems is slow loading times, slow downloads, restricted storage space and having to wait while games are patched. Those seem like problems that already exist, and are solved by playing on a streaming platform. 

Utterly minor in the grand scheme of things, and a small price to pay for most people for better performance / more games options / massively bigger playerbase.

Sort of like how Nintendo stuck with cartridges for the N64 because they didn't think people would tolerate load times and lost the market to people who flocked to the PS1 for the cheaper CD-based games with real FMV and CD-quality audio, and tolerated the load times for those benefits.

I'm not convinced anybody who takes CoD seriously will ever play it on a streaming platform, yes the performance of Stadia is pretty great but in a competitive FPS you're always going to be at a disadvantage vs. someone playing locally.

Also @Gorf King literally nobody outside of people who play Destiny know or care about their obscure business model, or even keep track of Generic DLC 1 or Generic DLC 2, let alone the prices of them.

Sorry to labour the point, but did you find my explanation simple enough to understand? Because that's been given to Stanley several times. I find it difficult to believe he didn't understand it. It's simple enough.

Launched at the end of a generation when surely anyone who had any interest in playing games already and somewhere to play them. So why would I change from my PS4 or Xbox already under my TV to Stadia for purchasing games?

Obviously there are some benefits in terms of play anywhere... but we are in the midst of a pandemic. We don’t travel as much. We’re stuck at home. Where my current console is.

Overcoming that meant they needed a different proposition for the user to attract them. And I don’t think it’s exclusives, or even having every big game, just enough of them. And then to match people’s expectations. You say streaming service and I think of all you can eat like Netflix. Then I find I have to buy the games... which, as above I can already do on my console.

9 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Sorry to labour the point, but did you find my explanation simple enough to understand? Because that's been given to Stanley several times. I find it difficult to believe he didn't understand it. It's simple enough.

Yes, I understood that the expansions were free for Stadia Pro subscribers.

Do you also agree that there was no free-to-play version of Destiny 2: New Light on Stadia akin to the other platforms at the time?

14 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Also @Gorf King literally nobody outside of people who play Destiny know or care about their obscure business model, or even keep track of Generic DLC 1 or Generic DLC 2, let alone the prices of them.

Assuming your point, made without evidence, is correct, what does this have to do with the fact that Stanley's claim that the Stadia D2 offer was free on all platforms is incorrect, or that it continues to be claimed after a very simple explanation showed this to be the case? Rhetorical question there, of course.

I am a new Destiny player since 2 went into gamepass and got an SX patch. It's hideously complex but the shooting is so fun and it is quite easy to just ignore all the stuff and click a thing to go shoot people. 

They do a reasonable job with the initial mini campaign for new players but after that it's total confusion, then when you think you have a grasp on it a new season starts and forces you into a new mission when you load it up and leaves you lost again. 

Fun as hell to play though, at least at 60fps.

3 minutes ago, Halo said:

Yes, I understood that the expansions were free for Stadia Pro subscribers.

Do you also agree that there was no free-to-play version of Destiny 2: New Light on Stadia akin to the other platforms at the time?

Yes. Now if someone could explain to me why Stanley hasn't got the difference between those two very different things, and continues to say they're the same thing despite it being explained half a dozen times, that'd be great.

1 hour ago, K said:

Yet not so much that everyone is choosing streaming because it’s so much better :huh:

3 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Yes. Now if someone could explain to me why Stanley hasn't got the difference between those two very different things, and continues to say they're the same thing despite it being explained half a dozen times, that'd be great.

Someone’s got a bee in their bonnet. 

Not really. I just saw you make the same incorrect claim about the Google offering being free on all other platforms that you were making a year ago and wondered why you were doing it. Seems slightly tendentious, but never mind. Carry on.

Just now, Gorf King said:

Not really. I just saw you make the same incorrect claim about the Google offering being free on all other platforms that you were making a year ago and wondered why you were doing it. Seems slightly tendentious, but never mind. Carry on.

Because anyone new to Destiny 2 doesn’t give a shit about which version they’re playing as long as it’s free. 

3 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Anyone new to Destiny doesn't care what's in it and what's missing is as long as it's free? Wow. They must never get any new playing players then I guess.

You’re blinded by your own anger - Destiny 2 is free and perfectly playable on numerous platforms - whether players then go on to choose the various upgrade paths available to them is up to them, but it’s unlikely the full package on Stadia Pro was so appealing that players would migrate in droves. I mean they haven’t so let’s just leave the argument there. 

Incidentally I am really looking forward to playing some Destiny 2 on my Series X as part of my Game Pass subscription, I believe that’s the full version with all the bits and bobs included too. 

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yet not so much that everyone is choosing streaming because it’s so much better :huh:

I guess my point is that if the Stadia offering was a bit better then more people might be choosing streaming for precisely those issues. I wouldn’t mistake the public’s rejection of Stadia for their rejection of streaming games - there are lots of issues with Stadia, but I think the issues are with the way they’ve implemented it, rather than with the technology itself. 

If someone can crack the business model, then there are huge advantages to streaming. Something like Xcloud & Gamepass or a fuller-featured PSNow where you have the option of playing hundreds of different games immediately is pretty enticing.

Just now, K said:

I guess my point is that if the Stadia offering was a bit better then more people might be choosing streaming for precisely those issues. I wouldn’t mistake the public’s rejection of Stadia for their rejection of streaming games - there are lots of issues with Stadia, but I think the issues are with the way they’ve implemented it, rather than with the technology itself. 

If someone can crack the business model, then there are huge advantages to streaming. Something like Xcloud & Gamepass or a fuller-featured PSNow where you have the option of playing hundreds of different games immediately is pretty enticing.

Yeah I agree, I’ve not played it but I believe the people who say the tech is great. The problem is that there’s just more choice on other platforms, including whether to stream or not. They put all their eggs in one basket and it didn’t work, either the market isn’t ready regardless of the advantages or they don’t see them as any real advantages. 

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

You’re blinded by your own anger - Destiny 2 is free and perfectly playable on numerous platforms - whether players then go on to choose the various upgrade paths available to them is up to them, but it’s unlikely the full package on Stadia Pro was so appealing that players would migrate in droves. I mean they haven’t so let’s just leave the argument there. 

Incidentally I am really looking forward to playing some Destiny 2 on my Series X as part of my Game Pass subscription, I believe that’s the full version with all the bits and bobs included too. 

There isn't any argument, it's just you making the same misleading statement over and over again - 'Google offered something at launch that was already free on all other platforms'. Obviously it doesn't make me angry - though thanks for the shitposting - it just disinclines me from engaging in discussion with you, as it seems a waste of time, what with you not responding to facts and all. 

NB 'All the bits and bobs' aren't in Game Pass either - there's nothing in there from any of the seasonal content. But hey, I'm sure you won't quite take on board that sentence either as it's only something heavily invested long-term D2 players would care about or, heaven forfend, understand. So you may continue to believe as you wish, facts notwithstanding.

2 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

There isn't any argument, it's just you making the same misleading statement over and over again - 'Google offered something at launch that was already free on all other platforms'. Obviously it doesn't make me angry - though thanks for the shitposting - it just disinclines me from engaging in discussion with you, as it seems a waste of time, what with you not responding to facts and all. 

NB 'All the bits and bobs' aren't in Game Pass either - there's nothing in there from any of the seasonal content. But hey, I'm sure you won't quite take on board that sentence either as it's only something heavily invested long-term D2 players would care about or, heaven forfend, understand. So you may continue to believe as you wish, facts notwithstanding.

You’re the one shit posting my friend, I don’t care whether you engage in discussion with me. 

Edit. As an adage, the fact you have to point out things about seasonal content etc. makes it no less confusing for first time players, or even returning players like myself.

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

A disaster? 

Stanley, are you ok? You seem to have a weird passion for shitting over a service you've just said you've never used.

1 minute ago, Hass said:

Stanley, are you ok? You seem to have a weird passion for shitting over a service you've just said you've never used.

I was being facetious. I’m definitely not ok though, no. Stadia is a disaster though. 

Just now, Stanley said:

I was being facetious. I’m definitely not ok though, no. Stadia is a disaster though. 

Ok. Well, I don't know the specifics behind your situation but if you're interested in gaming technology and have a good bb connection, I'd highly recommend picking up a Stadia Premiere Edition off ebay and giving it a go. It's pretty fascinating (to me at least) to see what is possible these days with just a chromecast and an ethernet cable and to see how the accesibility changes your gaming habits. No one can tell you what The Matrix is etc.

3 minutes ago, Hass said:

Ok. Well, I don't know the specifics behind your situation but if you're interested in gaming technology and have a good bb connection, I'd highly recommend picking up a Stadia Premiere Edition off ebay and giving it a go. It's pretty fascinating (to me at least) to see what is possible these days with just a chromecast and an ethernet cable and to see how the accesibility changes your gaming habits. No one can tell you what The Matrix is etc.

Thank you I just don’t have the need for it now, but if you read back my argument was never over the validity of streaming. Stadia as a business model has proved itself a disaster. 

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “now you can add Ubisoft+, if you’re missing tower climbing in your life”