Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”

19 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I prefer the sequel (there are more tombs and secrets etc and I love the snowy setting). It’s my fave of the bunch. They’re both really good, however.

So is Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition the third in a trilogy then?

17 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

So is Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition the third in a trilogy then?

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the third, yes. It was treated unfairly on here really as it’s also a good game for people who like this sort of thing, but I wouldn’t play it ahead of the other two.

58 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

If you were going to choose between Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition & Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration which would you go for?

I would start with the 1st one personally.

Shadow is interesting because it was not done by the team that's had Tomb Raider since the PS2.  I think it shows, others thought less so.

I loved the first one at the time, although it does suffer a bit from an overuse of QTE setpieces early on. It probably has the best story of the three too, although that's not saying much.

I think Rise is the best one overall, opening things out a bit more, dialing down the QTEs and offering some more in-depth optional puzzle tombs.

I need to replay Shadow at some point, but I found it by far the weakest of the three. It introduced some new stealth systems that I never fully got to grips with, and a lot of the encounters seemed built very much with those in mind, to the detriment of the fun combat of the first two games. It also made the new stealth arenas feel more artificial. It looked gorgeous though.

Played a nice chill out game on here called Submerged, would recommend if you like that sort of thing/are in the mood. No action, no challenge, just an exploration game really, sailing and climbing around. 

Nice surprise getting F1 on pro, been wanting that for a while 

10 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

Well I've splashed out a whopping £2.39 for the first one.  I have until the 6th of Jan to decide if I like it enough to grab the other two, thanks all.

Rude not to at that price. Think it was one of the original Pro games that I just missed out on. Rise was a Pro game too at one stage so hopefully the other one might make it on there too.

50 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Played a nice chill out game on here called Submerged, would recommend if you like that sort of thing/are in the mood. No action, no challenge, just an exploration game really, sailing and climbing around. 

Nice surprise getting F1 on pro, been wanting that for a while 

Cool, that looks like my sort of thing, cheers!

I'm having trouble with this at the moment. Upstairs, it works flawlessly, but downstairs it's shit. My powerlines don't seem to have the same effect downstairs as upstairs, I'm guessing it's how the house is wired? Mind you, wireless is shit downstairs too. I guess this is the problem with this tech, it's too dependent on your set-up.

I think this exposes the need for a trial, with no credit card details or any obligation, just to test your connection.

I recommend The Crew 2 if you fancy an arcade racer.

They recently changed it so you can sign up for free without having to enter any credit card info, I think you get 30 minutes of pro access to test it out.

There really is a huge difference between using it over wifi and when connected with a cable.  I'm not sure how powerline compares to wired ethernet but I assume its like wifi with more chance for interference than a proper network cable.

17 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

I'm not sure how powerline compares to wired ethernet

That depends mostly on the wiring in your house. Good wiring should give an ethernet-like stable* signal, which is optimal for Stadia. But if the wiring is old or just plain bad, you get a worse signal than Wi-Fi. You won't know until you test it out. Home plugs are an ideal solution if your router is a far away from the telly you want to play stadia on and if there's no viable way of running a cable.

I'm lucky enough to have the router sat right next to the living room telly for stadia. For my man cave, I drilled a hole in the wall to run a cable directly into a gigabit switch hanging in the man cave with pc and consoles hooked directly into that.

*Stability is key here. Even if your home plug gives lower speeds than running a cable directly into the router, it's the stability of the signal compared to WiFi which gives good performance on Stadia.

My Stadia is next to the router so it’s no problem to connect, but I am running it off wifi. I don’t think I’m generally sensitive to these things as it seems solid to me as is, should I bother connecting it via a network cable (I’d have to order one so it’s not just a matter of plugging one in)?

7 minutes ago, ZOK said:

My Stadia is next to the router so it’s no problem to connect, but I am running it off wifi. I don’t think I’m generally sensitive to these things as it seems solid to me as is, should I bother connecting it via a network cable (I’d have to order one so it’s not just a matter of plugging one in)?

If it’s fine as it is then just stick to the WiFi. A strong 5GHz connection is more than adequate, and switching to wired should only shave a few ms off the latency (wired on mine is < 1ms to the router, and about 5ms over wireless).

Going to wired is less about the latency and more about consistency. You'll get a rock solid 1ms over ethernet whereas even 5ghz over direct line of sight will occasionally have big blips, normally when a competing signal is happening.  Given that an ethernet cable is less than a fiver I'd say it's definitely worth doing.

I’ve probably played 10 hours on Stadia so far, and all I noticed was a 1 second glitch when in the Cyberpunk menu once that made the music pause, so that could be Stadia or the game.

I guess it’s worth doing as you say but I’ve not noticed anything yet, but then I’m barely playing it compared to some people.

I got the Premiere / Cyberpunk deal for Christmas, and it seems quite cool so far. I can't really play Cyberpunk until the kids are in bed - even the short attract sequence at the start had a decapitation, multiple gun deaths, and a lady with her boobs out - but Destiny 2 was very impressive indeed, after playing the PS4 version for the past few years. The loading sequences are surprisingly quick, and threw my Destiny muscle memory right off - I selected a location and sat back to wait out the loading break, and almost immediately had to perk up as the game had started. It's like pulling up to a red light, leaning in to adjust the radio, and suddenly getting beeped by the car behind because the light's turned green.

Plus, stuff like your inventory and gear being populated almost immediately makes a huge difference. My only criticisms so far are that the setup was a bit of a faff, and that the image seems a little bit soft - but that just might be Destiny itself. Control is very responsive, and there's nothing to immediately give away the fact that I'm playing this on a server somewhere, rather than on a box under my TV.

6 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Can you change the visuals on the stadia version, I mean disable things like the film grain and chromatic aberration or is it all set by the developer and you stream those settings? 

There are some visual settings but not many. Can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally set the Chromecast up and tried a few minutes - literally a few minutes - of Cyberpunk (basically I got out of the garage and did a little bit of driving around).

I'm connected via ethernet to my Sky Q mini box and it was flawless in those brief moments, I was really impressed! Considering I'd previously tried the Pro trial earlier in the year via wifi and trying to play Steamworld Quest was awful, I actually think it will be very playable.

It is a shame that I can't use my Xbox pad though, unless I use the Stadia app on my phone and cast my screen I guess (which seems would add crazy lag to things)? I don't like the stick positions.

Will give it a proper play later in the week, but I've gone from no favourable impression to quite excited.

Having played this a fair bit, I'm extremely impressed. Being able to play something like Cyberpunk on my ancient Mac is amazing, especially given that it's using no more processing power than Youtube. The only negatives so far are that I miss quick resume - I can see why they don't do it, but given how quickly the loading is generally, it's still a faff having to sit through all the idents and splash screens every time I play a game. I'm not sure whether the aiming is off - of the games I've tried, both Doom and Cyberpunk feel a bit twitchy in terms of aiming, but I'm honestly not sure whether that's just me overthinking it.

A minor but very welcome aspect of Stadia is that I don't have to fart about making sure I've got enough space for a new game if I decide to buy one. 

14 hours ago, Gabe said:

It is a shame that I can't use my Xbox pad though, unless I use the Stadia app on my phone and cast my screen I guess (which seems would add crazy lag to things)? I don't like the stick positions.

You can use your Xbox controller by "tethering" it to your Stadia controller. You just need the right usb cable to connect the two together. 

I've not tried this btw, I just know the feature exists so worth reading up on it! Works with most controllers as far as I know.

I've played 5-6 hours of Immortals Fenyx Rising on this and it's really excellent. It's got two graphics modes, "performance" which targets 60fps and "visual quality". The former is really excellent whilst the latter was juddery. Beware because the juddery one is the default.

One bug I've noticed twice now with two separate games on Stadia (PUBG and Immortals) is that frame rate gets worse over the course of a long (2hr+?) gaming session. I thought I was imagining this each time but closing the game, loading a different one (to make sure you don't get the same host) then reloading gets you an instantly improved framerate. Obviously a bug somewhere but worth being aware of.

I've got three mates who all bought the Cyberpunk deal in the run up to Christmas and they are all people who would never have owned a console. Since then, they've bought 6 titles between them. There's definitely an untapped market here for industry.

Well having now tried it via the Chromecast and - perhaps more importantly - using ethernet, I can definitely see the appeal, because even with son playing COD online it was incredibly stable still (again, on tried for a few minutes). The visual mode for Cyberpunk looks pretty just in the desert area too, what settings is that running at (and what is the performance mode at too)?

Also @Hass do you have a link to the tethering idea? I just tried searching but I just get results talking about using Xbox controllers via Chrome or Android (which I knew anyway).

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Well having now tried it via the Chromecast and - perhaps more importantly - using ethernet, I can definitely see the appeal, because even with son playing COD online it was incredibly stable still (again, on tried for a few minutes). The visual mode for Cyberpunk looks pretty just in the desert area too, what settings is that running at (and what is the performance mode at too)?

Also @Hass do you have a link to the tethering idea? I just tried searching but I just get results talking about using Xbox controllers via Chrome or Android (which I knew anyway).

Looks like it's called "tandem" mode

https://9to5google.com/2020/10/01/stadia-controller-tandem-mode/

Stadia and Geforce Now getting baked into LG TVs built from 2020 and beyond:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/11/22224359/google-stadia-nvidia-geforce-now-lg-tv-2021

I guess all this does is drop the requirement for the Chromecast Ultra. Will be interesting to see whether they bundle controllers with the TV.

EDIT: Looks like LG have only committed to updating the 2021 TV range

EDIT2: They've now updated the article to say it is indeed coming to the 2020 range too.

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”