Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”

10 minutes ago, Popo said:

How did you do that Zok? Sounds like a no-brainer. 

Edit - sorry, I think I’ve found the answer. Start a trial of Pro using the in-app link, then buy the bundle, by the looks of it. Does the £10 automatically apply at next checkout, or do they send you a code by email?

It applies automatically, and I got the email this evening. You follow a link, click confirm & it’s done.

Nice one!

I read the Verge article and it seems to suggest the Stadia performance is about on par with PS5/Series X backwards-compatibility modes. Am I reading that right?

That’s slightly killed my lust for it, actually, since I have a Series X. 

@Popo, yeah I think that's about accurate. It'll do 1080/60 or 4k/30. 

CP is fantastic on this. Looks great, smooth as butter. I'm using the 60fps mode that it defaults to. This and Doom Eternal really show off what stadia can do. Some of the ports (ubi in particular) are very lazy though, running at 30fps. If only they could market the thing!

I bit the bullet and bought Cyberpunk on this, been playing it on my TV via an old laptop, it looks great as far as I'm concerned. Using a PS4 controller connected via an 8bitdo Nintendo Switch adapter and wouldn't guess that it's cloud based. Impressed. Especially now I'm using a wired connection, wireless was appalling. Ha. 

Stadia controller and Chromecast next week. Nice. 

IMG_20201211_203512.jpg

I started the free Pro trial just now in a test for potentially getting Cyberpunk and have to say I'm impressed.

Signing up was really easy, just got to the website, logged in with my Gmail account, stuck in my credit details and I was in, adding free games to my account. The selection of Pro games is pretty underwhelming but there are a few PC games in there I've not been able to try because my laptop's too shit.

Right now I'm eating up internet connection because I'm downloading the latest 17 GB patch on my PS4. Despite that, I booted up Risk of Rain 2 on my laptop via the Stadia website. It took 20 seconds to test the connection and warn me I might get booted, then the game was there, running. I realised I had no controller, so plugged in my PS4 controller via USB, it immediately detected it but then I realised I was controlling my PS4 menus at the same time as Stadia! So I just unplugged it, and tried my Switch pro controller with USB. Again it immediately registered and there I was, controlling the game with my Switch controller.

Resolution was quite low and there was a sound delay of about a second, but the game was picking up my inputs fine. I was in there, playing the game, within a few minutes, whilst downloading a massive patch on my connection and essentially it was still working ok. I'll obviously be trying it again once the patch is done, if anyone has any suggestions for free games I can test the performance on, please let me know. I was thinking PUBG might be good, or single player maybe Hitman?

Taking a look at the games in the Store, its a very slight catalog - there's some decent games in there but anything newish is at maximum RRP, most at 50 or 60 quid. For it to have long term appeal for me they'd need a bunch more PC games in the store I couldn't run on my laptop anyway, and better selections rotating in the Pro catalog. However if I feel like I stand a chance of running Cyberpunk I'll probably go for it anyway. Would I need the pro subscription to play Cyberpunk after the included time expires, or can you play games you've bought under the standard license? Its not very well explained what each subscription tier means in terms of performance and what games you get access to.

20 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I started the free Pro trial just now in a test for potentially getting Cyberpunk and have to say I'm impressed.

Signing up was really easy, just got to the website, logged in with my Gmail account, stuck in my credit details and I was in, adding free games to my account. The selection of Pro games is pretty underwhelming but there are a few PC games in there I've not been able to try because my laptop's too shit.

Right now I'm eating up internet connection because I'm downloading the latest 17 GB patch on my PS4. Despite that, I booted up Risk of Rain 2 on my laptop via the Stadia website. It took 20 seconds to test the connection and warn me I might get booted, then the game was there, running. I realised I had no controller, so plugged in my PS4 controller via USB, it immediately detected it but then I realised I was controlling my PS4 menus at the same time as Stadia! So I just unplugged it, and tried my Switch pro controller with USB. Again it immediately registered and there I was, controlling the game with my Switch controller.

Resolution was quite low and there was a sound delay of about a second, but the game was picking up my inputs fine. I was in there, playing the game, within a few minutes, whilst downloading a massive patch on my connection and essentially it was still working ok. I'll obviously be trying it again once the patch is done, if anyone has any suggestions for free games I can test the performance on, please let me know. I was thinking PUBG might be good, or single player maybe Hitman?

Taking a look at the games in the Store, its a very slight catalog - there's some decent games in there but anything newish is at maximum RRP, most at 50 or 60 quid. For it to have long term appeal for me they'd need a bunch more PC games in the store I couldn't run on my laptop anyway, and better selections rotating in the Pro catalog. However if I feel like I stand a chance of running Cyberpunk I'll probably go for it anyway. Would I need the pro subscription to play Cyberpunk after the included time expires, or can you play games you've bought under the standard license? Its not very well explained what each subscription tier means in terms of performance and what games you get access to.

You can continue to play games you've bought but only at 1080p. 

I'm glad people are giving this a go. 

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Have you tried Destiny 2?

And yes, any games you purchase are available with or without the pro subscription (but capped at 1080p without the sub)

Thanks guys, sadly Destiny isn't in the free games on Pro at the moment. I will be trying Sniper Elite 4 though. And I'm only playing on my laptop or HD TV so 1080p is fine for me. I've just ordered a USB to HDMI cable so I can simply hook my laptop up to my TV during my trial period. If the connection is stable enough and even if I don't get Cyberpunk, this seems like the kind of service I'd happily dip into on the odd month when there's stuff I actually want to play in the Pro catalog, for 8 quid or whatever a month that's a bargain assuming it works.

Thanks. Since compulsively reading this thread today, I'm in. Fifty for the game, controller, and doodad proved irresistible.

Just after signing on to Stadia, I learned of GeForce Now. It's difficult to imagine how it could compete with the current promotions.

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

I bought Cyberpunk earlier but nothing is showing on the receipt that I will be getting the Chromecast and I haven't had any other emails - is that right? It should've mentioned something, surely?

Nah, I don’t think anything other than the product page mentions it. You should get an email soon that has a discount code for the premiere bundle on the google store to take it to zero. I had preordered the game last week, the email arrived overnight Thursday, I redeemed yesterday morning and it’s being delivered today.

7 hours ago, Gabe said:

I bought Cyberpunk earlier but nothing is showing on the receipt that I will be getting the Chromecast and I haven't had any other emails - is that right? It should've mentioned something, surely?

im the same starting to worry 

@zok @klargon how long did it take to get the email ?

After buying the Xbox version of Cyberpunk 2077 to play on my One X, I’ve bought it on Stadia after being impressed with the Pro trial. Holy shit, it’s incredible. And actually plays better streamed to my iPhone* than the Xbox version does being streamed locally. It’s been flawless, so much so that I forgot it was streaming and just enjoyed playing it. It looks better than it does on One X, runs in 60fps, and I can play it in ‘handheld’, which means I’m more likely to play it. I can try it on the big screen when that controller and Chromecast turn up too.

*I’ve side-loaded Cloudly and I’m using a Razer Kishi.

18 hours ago, fretnoise said:

I'll just delete what I was going to say as @Mogster and @Jonny5 have pretty much covered it :)

One last thing Pro gets you is the odd discount here and there.  E.g. Watch Dogs 2 is currently reduced to £16 compared to £40 for non-Pro users.

The games you get 'free' with Pro have been a mixed bag, but I quite enjoyed the Steamworld games (and I'd never have looked at them otherwise), and the obvious big names like Tomb Raider and Destiny 2 were pretty good.  Grid came to Pro about a week after I'd paid for it, annoyingly (doubly so as it's not really suited to Stadia and had I been able to give it a go before playing I probably wouldn't have paid money for it)

Yeah what solidified that Stadia is no good for me personally on my personal internet connection personally was the sheer gap in results I got between Grid on Stadia and Grid on my PC.

I played it on Stadia for a trial and it felt laggy but.... Codemasters games sometimes do and I finished some early races in 5th or so.

Got it cheap on PC 3 months later so I thought I'd give it a try.  It didn't FEEL that much different but the exact same races were all easy 1sts.

So for something that was never going to be my only method of gaming it's fairly clearly a non-starter.

Weirdly I had much less noticeable trouble with GeForce Now when I played around with that on my Shield before all the publishers decided they had the right to decide what you play your games on and effectively killed it.

I’m not expecting much from it really - it’s only Cyberpunk that has caused the purchase, and it’s pretty amazing to think that for £40(!) I’m going to get a controller, hardware and the game that I would have alternatively needed a £450 console for an equitable experience, if they were available to buy.

Time will tell, but unless it’s abysmal I can’t think I’m going to be disappointed. I’ve also not owned any console other than a Switch since the 360, so there’s that too!

tbh, even with Grid level lag, Cyberpunk doesn't so far seem to me to be a game that'd be badly affected.

Judging by my first 4 hours or so, at least an hour of which I spent just walking down streets gawping your major problem will be finishing it before Google close Stadia :D

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Yeah what solidified that Stadia is no good for me personally on my personal internet connection personally was the sheer gap in results I got between Grid on Stadia and Grid on my PC.

I played it on Stadia for a trial and it felt laggy but.... Codemasters games sometimes do and I finished some early races in 5th or so.

Got it cheap on PC 3 months later so I thought I'd give it a try.  It didn't FEEL that much different but the exact same races were all easy 1sts.

So for something that was never going to be my only method of gaming it's fairly clearly a non-starter.

Weirdly I had much less noticeable trouble with GeForce Now when I played around with that on my Shield before all the publishers decided they had the right to decide what you play your games on and effectively killed it.

I think the lag might be down to the developers, rather than the system. When Doom Eternal was released three were complaints about lag and it was patched to fix it. 

What was hugely refreshing was buying the game last night, then clicking play and the game launching within a few seconds. I bought the Xbox version on disc the other day and had to wait a couple of hours for it to install from two discs, and for a 50GB patch to download. And it looks a bit shit next to this version.

I think it’s safe to say that after numerous false starts, playable game streaming is definitely a reality.

I wonder what a non-Premiere version would have with it. I mean, it’s a Chromecast and a controller - what edition wouldn’t have that?!

Very pleased with the delivery time - I was willing to wait a lot longer to receive it, I guess mainly because I paid with Google credit that cost me nowt. Haven’t fired it up yet. The buttons on the controller feel really cheap, but I don’t think there’ll be an issue using it.

The standard thing is just the pad for £60. 

Im already looking at picking up another premier kit from eBay for around £50. I was looking for chromecasts and they sell for around £30-40 used so seems a no-brainer if you want to use it on a second tv and have a spare controller for multiplayer. 

Edit: I just looked again and saw one for £40 plus postage so have ordered it. I guess I’m all in on stadia then :lol:

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”