Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”

1 hour ago, Hass said:

The Verge are very positive about the Stadia version. Sounds like it's a very stable version on the consoles. My experience with it yesterday over a few hours definitely supported that, very clean 60fps experience. I was a bit disappointed with the image quality though but couldn't work out if that was the hard bump coming down to 1080p from Doom Eternal's crisp ~4k image or if it's actually the filters they've chosen.

The "Visuals" setting is supposed to be 4k 30fps, did you try that?  If you install the Stadia+ extension in chrome you can get an overlay which shows the resolution & frame rate of the stream. 

51 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

The "Visuals" setting is supposed to be 4k 30fps, did you try that?  If you install the Stadia+ extension in chrome you can get an overlay which shows the resolution & frame rate of the stream. 

How do I do this with stadia+? I'v got it installed but can't see any options like that.

EDIT: re-loaded a new window and the options appeared.

About 25-35 latency for me which is incredible on a wifi/mobile connection. Honestly, it feels no different to playing any game directly on my PC at 60FPS.

I'm seriously tempted to get a Stadia as part of this Cyberpunk deal; it's £50 for the game anyway, and I'm unlikely to get a gaming PC or a next gen console any time soon. I assume all you need is a wi-fi connection, a TV with an HDMI port, and that's it?

2 minutes ago, K said:

I'm seriously tempted to get a Stadia as part of this Cyberpunk deal; it's £50 for the game anyway, and I'm unlikely to get a gaming PC or a next gen console any time soon. I assume all you need is a wi-fi connection, a TV with an HDMI port, and that's it?

The Chromecast Ultra needs power too, which I'm taking from one of the otherwise unused USB ports on the back of my TV, as I didn't want another wire going to the back of the TV.

(Not using the provided power brick prevents you from streaming in 4K, and the power brick is where the ethernet port is in case your wifi isn't up to it)

3 minutes ago, K said:

in theory thats all you need - but think most people have found an ethernet connection into the chrome cast gives far superior performance on the same network than over wifi.

5 minutes ago, K said:

You can use google credit to pay for it, too, if you use the Android app. You might be able to get £50 of credit at a discount.

Right, so the pad connects to the Chromecast Ultra, and the Chromecast Ultra connects to my router. I assume they still haven't introduced that thing where the pad connects directly to the wi-fi, but not madly bothered about that.

4 minutes ago, K said:

Right, so the pad connects to the Chromecast Ultra, and the Chromecast Ultra connects to my router. I assume they still haven't introduced that thing where the pad connects directly to the wi-fi, but not madly bothered about that.

not quite, the pad connects directly over wifi to your network (eliminating some lag), the chrome cast then connects via wifi or preferably via its power brick over ethernet. 

I'm looking at that deal and just trying to determine if I would ever use the Chromecast for anything else. Plus my wifi is pretty rubbish upstairs.

Is there a native Youtube app on it or do you have to cast from another device?

1 hour ago, K said:

I signed up yesterday and you get a tenner credit for signing up to Stadia Pro, which it automatically deducts off the price, so it was £40.

I must admit I don’t really know what Stadia Pro is, but it’s a £9 a month sub which you can cancel.

11 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

As far as I know you have to cast everything to it, there is no native UI at all.

Correct.  I find the Chromecast a thoroughly confusing little thing if I'm honest, and apart from the nice pictures it shows when idle the only thing I've used it for is Stadia.  Having said that, it's plugged into a relatively modern smart TV which has its own native apps for everything I want.

Stadia Pro unlocks 4K streaming, and also gives you access to around 30 other games which you can claim for free.  You can play these for as long as you have an active pro subscription.  There are new games added to the Pro selection each month and others could come off the Pro plan.  If you claimed something while it was available in pro then you keep access even if its no longer available to new users on the pro tier.  Finally, if you let your sub lapse and then resubscribe later everything you previously claimed becomes available to you again.

I'll just delete what I was going to say as @Mogster and @Jonny5 have pretty much covered it :)

One last thing Pro gets you is the odd discount here and there.  E.g. Watch Dogs 2 is currently reduced to £16 compared to £40 for non-Pro users.

The games you get 'free' with Pro have been a mixed bag, but I quite enjoyed the Steamworld games (and I'd never have looked at them otherwise), and the obvious big names like Tomb Raider and Destiny 2 were pretty good.  Grid came to Pro about a week after I'd paid for it, annoyingly (doubly so as it's not really suited to Stadia and had I been able to give it a go before playing I probably wouldn't have paid money for it)

Grid is no longer a Pro game, but I got it for free with my £10 voucher and I agree, I'm not sure it's a great example of Stadia gaming.

The premier edition used to come with a 3 month pro voucher, so its possible that we'll all get a few months of pro before we have to pay for anything.

32 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I signed up yesterday and you get a tenner credit for signing up to Stadia Pro, which it automatically deducts off the price, so it was £40.

I must admit I don’t really know what Stadia Pro is, but it’s a £9 a month sub which you can cancel.

I was just about to do this have they confirmed you’ll still get the stadia? It says can’t be used with other promotions 

I decided to go for it anyway as I saw you can now cast Amazon Prime Video to it, so I can watch that again on my TV in the bedroom. Plus, the game, controller and Chromecast for £40 is a good deal. Hopefully I'll get the email to claim the Chromecast soon.

For those with Stadia, does playing on it basically kill the chance of doing anything else online if you're on standard broadband speeds? If there are other people in the house I take it either Stadia's going to make streaming videos etc for them pretty impossible (either that or it'll lag your game to hell)? 

Stadia's affected more than the video streams - more buffering on the videos I'd imagine.  Stadia will detect when your connection's getting a bit ropey and you'll get a warning, and eventually it'll just kick you out.  It saves your game state for 15 minutes so if you can yell at the kids to stop bloody streaming for 5 minutes, you can get back in and make sure you've saved your progress :)

I haven't done anything to try to prioritise Stadia over other traffic though, and I'm on wifi which also probably doesn't help.

(I'm on BT Fibre, and usually get around 40Mbps down and 10Mbps up)

Cool, thanks for that.

A few more questions (I'm thinking about getting the Cyberpunk deal):

- For the mobile device requirement for the Chromecast box, is it just needed for logging in/managing games etc?

- Has anyone done the free trial? Is it worth giving a go before investing in the Chromecast version or is the free trial quite different to the Chromecast experience (I'm going to be playing on TV)

- According to the refund policy it looks like if I got Cyberpunk and my connection couldn't handle it, I could get a refund (if played under 2 hours). Has anyone here tried getting refunds as well? I wonder how refunds might work in this Cyberpunk Chromecast bundle deal they're offering. 

14 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

For those with Stadia, does playing on it basically kill the chance of doing anything else online if you're on standard broadband speeds? If there are other people in the house I take it either Stadia's going to make streaming videos etc for them pretty impossible (either that or it'll lag your game to hell)? 

A 4k stream really needs a >50Mb/s to run with other stuff happening. A 1080p stream will be fine to share with other stuff on a 20Mb/s connection. 

3 minutes ago, Hass said:

A 4k stream really needs a >50Mb/s to run with other stuff happening. A 1080p stream will be fine to share with other stuff on a 20Mb/s connection. 

Thanks. I am only planning to run on my HD plasma TV and I'm used to PS4 resolutions so anything more than that's a bonus!

8 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Cool, thanks for that.

A few more questions (I'm thinking about getting the Cyberpunk deal):

- For the mobile device requirement for the Chromecast box, is it just needed for logging in/managing games etc?

The mobile app is only needed to configure the stadia controller (if you have one) and to buy games. You also use it to play games on mobile if that's your thing. 

8 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

- Has anyone done the free trial? Is it worth giving a go before investing in the Chromecast version or is the free trial quite different to the Chromecast experience (I'm going to be playing on TV)

I've found the Chrome experience to be significantly less impressive than the Chromecast experience when trying to run at 4k. 1080p it's totally fine. I think it's worth giving the Chrome trial a go before you purchase the hardware simply to get a sense for whether you have any weird connection issues in your local environment. All those things are fixable, but debugging your local network can be a bitch if it's not working properly. 

The biggest advice I can give is plug into ethernet if you can and take WiFi flakiness out of the picture. 

2 hours ago, denisb said:

I was just about to do this have they confirmed you’ll still get the stadia? It says can’t be used with other promotions 

Phew, you made me check my emails, and yes it’s all fine. There wasn’t any way to not apply the discount as I remember, but it’s now on it’s way:

708EBB7F-5129-4592-BCA3-8665DE56F19A.thumb.jpeg.8120063b4b796d3a3b39b30767f4e61f.jpeg

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

How did you do that Zok? Sounds like a no-brainer. 

Edit - sorry, I think I’ve found the answer. Start a trial of Pro using the in-app link, then buy the bundle, by the looks of it. Does the £10 automatically apply at next checkout, or do they send you a code by email?

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”