Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”

I had a second go of Stadia Pro - running on the PC app on a 4K OLED with a hard wired 300mb virgin cable connection. 

And uh ....its ok. The response time for the most part is pretty good. Borderlands 3 - if you so much as breathe on the trigger you get a pretty quick response. But the image quality leaves a lot to be desired and this might be being spoiled by native 4k gaming on PC and recently the PS5 providing exceptional image quality. It could be the actual hardware isn't up to scratch on the service side but the games I've played didn't look super sharp - more like 1440p ish to my eyes if that and there would be the odd "buffer" moment which takes you out of the game. 

I'll use it to play the £1 borderlands I bought and then forget all about it I think. It's a good option for people who aren't particularly sensitive to image clarity or consistent image quality. For everyone else - it cannot compete with the experience of actual hardware and isn't close enough yet either imo.

2 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

@BeeJay why do you need a second account?  

I'm still in the tutorial section but I get 60 fps in both graphics modes, so have left it in Visual mode.

Because I have already had about 8 months worth of free pro on my main account so no more free trials for that one.

3 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Because I have already had about 8 months worth of free pro on my main account so no more free trials for that one.

I think I'm being thick.  You already have a stadia account and Cyberpunk so have the controller/ccu offer?  Not sure what you need pro for other than just to get access to the pro games again for a month?

Just now, Jonny5 said:

I think I'm being thick.  You already have a stadia account and Cyberpunk so have the controller/ccu offer?  Not sure what you need pro for other than just to get access to the pro games again for a month?

I thought 4k was limited to pro subs?

16 minutes ago, Uzi said:

It could be the actual hardware isn't up to scratch on the service side

That's why I asked earlier at which settings Cyberpunk was running on Stadia. I don't have a capable PC at the moment, and I was wondering if Stadia would be a way to experience the all bells n whistles PC fancy pants version. But if it's still the same old hardware server side that had trouble keeping up with the One X, then it's of no interest to me since I already have the Xbox version on the XsX.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's why I asked earlier at which settings Cyberpunk was running on Stadia. I don't have a capable PC at the moment, and I was wondering if Stadia would be a way to experience the all bells n whistles PC fancy pants version. But if it's still the same old hardware server side that had trouble keeping up with the One X, then it's of no interest to me since I already have the Xbox version on the XsX.

Definitely not. It is running some fairly underwhelming server based RDNA 1 tech from what I recall. Would prob be a xbox one x/PS4 pro type experience. 

Try geforce now instead

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/gfn-announcements/22/343462/cyberpunk-2077-coming-to-geforce-now/

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

You can sign up for free now and get a month of pro + £10 to spend on a game and test it out in your browser with any controller you can connect to the machine.  

As far as I can tell you really want to be using it on something wired to your router rather than over wifi for the best experience, but I've been playing Destiny 2 for a week or so now and honestly can't tell that its running in some datacenter somewhere rather than on my machine.

Thanks, but I’m not sure I understand that.

I want to play it on the telly, and I need the hardware & controller to do that, which I think you get if you pay £50 for cyberpunk, which seems like a decent price if you don’t like it.

I don’t know how I would play it in browser - do you mean like on a laptop? The only controller I have is a Nintendo Pro, I don’t know if that would work.

3 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Definitely not. It is running some fairly underwhelming server based RDNA 1 tech from what I recall. Would prob be a xbox one x/PS4 pro type experience. 

Try geforce now instead

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/gfn-announcements/22/343462/cyberpunk-2077-coming-to-geforce-now/

Thanks! Broker said something similar before launch but was wondering whether it was confirmed now that it's out. Pretty useless from Stadia. Ah well.

9 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I don’t know how I would play it in browser - do you mean like on a laptop? The only controller I have is a Nintendo Pro, I don’t know how if that would work.

Go to Stadia.google.com on your laptop browser. Connect your Switch controller via a usb cable or bluetooth and you're good to go.

The official Stadia controller has less lag, but it's not a massive difference.

41 minutes ago, MechE said:

Go to Stadia.google.com on your laptop browser. Connect your Switch controller via a usb cable or bluetooth and you're good to go.

Oh cool, I’ll give that a go then, cheers!

https://9to5google.com/2020/12/09/how-well-does-cyberpunk-2077-run-on-google-stadia-video/

What resolution does Cyberpunk run at natively on Stadia? 

You’ve got a couple of options. If you prefer 60fps you’re capped at 1080p with the High Frame Rate mode, while 4K UHD is currently capped at 30fps with the Visual mode activated, according to the folks over at Stadia Source who have done a deep dive into the visuals we recommend you check out via the link in the description. 

I’d personally suggest opting for 1080p 60fps when playing Cyberpunk 2077 on Stadia if you want the best balance of visuals and smooth gaming experience — especially when things start to get a bit hectic on-screen. 

Well that explains why I didn't see any difference between the two modes, you need a 4K screen to enable the 4K stream I believe.

I read somewhere that they're hoping to get them out asap, although I don't remember where I read that.

I expect there'll be a lot of grumpy gamers if they don't send anything out until next year, there are already loads of threads on the stadia community forums asking about it.

5 hours ago, MechE said:

I've always had really mixed experiences with Stadia over Chrome. I've got a 4k monitor and the 4k experience via my Chromebox is awful, dropping frames everywhere. If I plug a CCU into the same monitor I get an amazing experience at 4K. People on r/stadia seem to report that the Chrome experience varies quite a lot between different OS's and the underlying hardware which I guess makes sense but it's never really worked well for me. 

Over WiFi, I find the stadia stream to be all over the place, even if the MacBook I’m using is within a metre of the router. Over Ethernet the stream is stable, but the input lag varies from around a second to five seconds. It’s unplayable. Hope the stadia hardware resolves that.

44 minutes ago, klargon said:

Over WiFi, I find the stadia stream to be all over the place, even if the MacBook I’m using is within a metre of the router. Over Ethernet the stream is stable, but the input lag varies from around a second to five seconds. It’s unplayable. Hope the stadia hardware resolves that.

That seems crazy. What sort of controller are you using? Do you get input lag like that when using the keyboard?

I did the Cyberpunk offer in the end. £50 seems reasonable to test out if I’m even interested in this sort of console gaming anymore, I guess if I love the feel of the game but find it unplayable then I know I need a next generation machine when they are in regular supply again.

Just gave Cyberpunk a whirl for an hour or two. All runs very nicely albeit it's only 1080p@60. The graphics are significantly more blurry than something like Doom Eternal but it still looks good, although I notice more compression in the image than many other games because of the dark palette. I didn't notice any bugs in the game that others have described, I wonder if that's more a PC issue?

No lag though, very responsive. 

14 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

Has anyone who preordered had their email to claim the free Stadia hardware pack yet?

My code has arrived this eve, delivery on or before Monday 14th Dec... I'm happy with that.

The Verge are very positive about the Stadia version. Sounds like it's a very stable version on the consoles. My experience with it yesterday over a few hours definitely supported that, very clean 60fps experience. I was a bit disappointed with the image quality though but couldn't work out if that was the hard bump coming down to 1080p from Doom Eternal's crisp ~4k image or if it's actually the filters they've chosen.

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”