Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”

It’s interesting that they didn’t sort it for launch given they very much included Stadia as a key part of their phone reveal. Classic Google really, no ability to form a coherent strategy from one product to the next or from one day to the next.

It's all looking a bit bleak in Stadia land right now. I actually really like the platform but the lack of content and cross-play support across key titles is killing it. It's a shame because of hoped I wouldn't need to buy next gen hardware but the Series X is currently on preorder.

I think Google made two big mistakes really that I think they need to change for this to have any hope long term:

1. Developers need to do too much. For a new unproven platform you really cannot expect devs to invest effort in porting over. Yes you can pay them to do so but it’s unsustainable and won’t scale.

2. The payment model is insane. If they’d released the equivalent of the Game Pass (i.e. xCloud) then fine, maybe I’m in to test it out, and if it’s good and they keep adding content then I stay in. But I’m not buying games on an unproven platform I don’t trust to be around in a year or two.

And unfortunately for them, those two things are basically the whole ball game other than the quality of their stream tech and that just doesn’t matter without the other two.

10 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

2. The payment model is insane. If they’d released the equivalent of the Game Pass (i.e. xCloud) then fine, maybe I’m in to test it out, and if it’s good and they keep adding content then I stay in. But I’m not buying games on an unproven platform I don’t trust to be around in a year or two.

I see this confusion from a lot from people who haven't used Stadia, but what you're describing is exactly how the Stadia Pro sub works. I'm not entirely sure what causes the confusion, maybe it's the fact that you can do a sub or by games individually?

Stadia Pro is in no way comparable to Game Pass. Game Pass has hundreds of games that continually rotate it. Stadia Pro has like 20 or so B rating meh titles for the most part when I used it a few weeks ago. 

I know that tweets about Android but it's been rattling around in my brain whenever I think of Stadia since. It's the reference to hardware performance. Stadia has clearly got much better hardware powering it than the Xboxone X yet how many times have we seen that translate into a meaningful difference? Destiny 2 running at 60fps and what else? 

28 minutes ago, Hass said:

I see this confusion from a lot from people who haven't used Stadia, but what you're describing is exactly how the Stadia Pro sub works. I'm not entirely sure what causes the confusion, maybe it's the fact that you can do a sub or by games individually?

I didn’t know that. Slightly more interesting and this hits back on the Google TV thing really, shitty advertising or follow through. Google are incapable of, as far as I can tell, anything but organic growth. They don’t seem to know how to push a product in the market place.

But then I checked the games too.

Based on this page: https://stadia.google.com

26 total games in Pro by the look of it. Not really a subscription to set the world alight is it.

And 52 games that can be purchased.

4 minutes ago, bear said:

I know that tweets about Android but it's been rattling around in my brain whenever I think of Stadia since. It's the reference to hardware performance. Stadia has clearly got much better hardware powering it than the Xboxone X yet how many times have we seen that translate into a meaningful difference? Destiny 2 running at 60fps and what else? 

I agree to an extent but I think that’s down to wondering why it’s not just PCs. Why ask developers to do anything? Why ask them to try to push their hardware platform in the early days?

24 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

But then I checked the games too.

Based on this page: https://stadia.google.com

26 total games in Pro by the look of it. Not really a subscription to set the world alight is it.

It's a slightly weird sub insofar as games that used to be on the sub but have now rolled off it you can still play as long as you're subbed. I guess this is a sub loyalty mechanism because you kind of build up a collection over your time subbed. 

So yes, confusing as hell.

And yes to your other point about Google not being able to drive anything other than organic growth. They really need their Bungie Halo moment for Stadia.

34 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I agree to an extent but I think that’s down to wondering why it’s not just PCs. Why ask developers to do anything? Why ask them to try to push their hardware platform in the early days?

They are PCs, they’re just running a Google-developed version of Linux rather than Windows.

I understand creating a custom hardware platform as they aren't paying a licensing fee to Microsoft for Windows and it should in theory at least help avoid the issues Onlive ran into where every user was tying up one of their high powered PCs even while playing something basic. The Series X can run multiple current gen games simultaneously and I'm sure Googles long term goal for Stadia would be that as they roll out even better hardware then a potential Stadia 2.0 could handle multiple Stadia 1.0 streams. 

A big issue for Staida is that I think Youtubes utter dominance of the online video space has led to Google not appreciating or valuing content. They never had to invest in video for Youtube to become dominant and there seems to be an attitude of "we're Google and we're massive so companies are bound to support our new service". Stadia had to be in the works for years but we haven't even seen a trailer for a Google developed exclusive game for the platform. Their app subscription service has nothing exclusive while Apple of all companies did invest in securing content for Apple Arcades launch. 

They have three studios I'm aware of but two of them were announced/formed in the last 12 months and the other was bought late last year. They probably have others but I don't know about them. Sony, Nintendo and now Microsoft have literally dozens of games in the works that will be exclusive to their platforms/services. I just don't see why you'd invest in Googles walled garden when they've shown nothing to rival that. 

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

They are PCs, they’re just running a Google-developed version of Linux rather than Windows.

Ah yes, sorry. Fair point. I guess maybe there’s not a lot of way around it but seems they need to do a lot more to get devs on board.

To be honest even I forget the implications of Windows’ centrality to PC gaming most of the time. Microsoft give the end user and software developer enormous freedom in how the Windows gaming platform is used but anyone who dreams of building a secondary business selling people access to that platform is going to be operating at MS’s indulgence.

13 hours ago, TehStu said:

That tweet about iOS and Android is crap. 

Yeah was scratching my head on that, I was of the impression that 90% of app developers used middleware that just cranked out iOS/Android on a compile switch. I thought he meant OS but he calls the OS out as being good.

Having developed 30+ mobile apps, albeit several years ago now, iOS was night and day a better experience to develop for than Android. Even using 'middleware' the android versions needed 3 times the amount of QA and fixing. Probably the result of being the secondary platform, but still a PITA. (pitta.jpg)

Tooling has moved on so I'd love to have a new project and see how it's improved.

On 09/04/2020 at 11:08, Dudley said:

First impressions fairly average.  In GRID I can definitely feel the lag and the frame rate was pretty variable which I wasn't expecting, could be load on the servers I guess.

That said, it didn't skip at all in my 30 minutes and without a local version of GRID to test that lag could just be dodgy Codemasters physics.

I just got GRID natively and it really wasn't the game.

So streaming is, for me, on stadia, on this game, on my internet, too much lag. Glad I didn't sub.

And noticeably too, on stadia I finished somewhere between podium and midfield in each of the 3 prologue races.

Won all 3 natively.

Streaming via Chrome is a significantly worse experience than Chromecast in my experience. I've not tried Grid, but I can attest that Doom Eternal 4K HDR via Chromecast is a One X equivalent experience (I double dipped) but the same experience via Chrome on a high end Chromebox has game breaking frame drops. 

Which is a shame for Stadia because the Chrome experience is presumably there to be a zero cost taster but it's definitely not yet representative and actively damaging. 

I'm cancelling my pro sub.

The core tech is great. No meaningful lag (for this console player) on my iMac, and good fun. But I'm going to put that money towards Xbox Game pass. I just don't use it enough, and when I do it's because I'm distracting myself from work. I really don't like games on my 'work machine'. I know that's nuts but...

If I reactivate down the line, do I get my Pro 'claimed' titles back?

13 hours ago, Hass said:

Streaming via Chrome is a significantly worse experience than Chromecast in my experience. I've not tried Grid, but I can attest that Doom Eternal 4K HDR via Chromecast is a One X equivalent experience (I double dipped) but the same experience via Chrome on a high end Chromebox has game breaking frame drops. 

Which is a shame for Stadia because the Chrome experience is presumably there to be a zero cost taster but it's definitely not yet representative and actively damaging. 

That is fair, I was streaming via Chrome on a PC.  Albeit not the same PC because I've replaced it in the meantime.

1 hour ago, jcafarley said:

If it hasn’t joined this list:

https://killedbygoogle.com

I know the belief is that google get bored and kill stuff - and I didn't go through the whole of that list - but lots were products that survived for 2+ years (lots were 5/6/7+). Certainly long enough to determine if it was worth continued investment or not.

Besides, don't people want tech companies to be continuing to trying stuff, even if it doesn't all work or last forever?

16 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Besides, don't people want tech companies to be continuing to trying stuff, even if it doesn't all work or last forever?

At first, but I'm sick of them pulling products I actually use. So now I don't use any, unless I can't avoid it. Great job! 

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”