Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”

16 hours ago, TehStu said:

This discussion made me stop and consider that my kids often have both Xboxes going. Data caps have to stop existing for Stadia like services to be the future.

This is what I’ve found so far. If it’s late and my kids and girlfriend are asleep Stadia is surprisingly good. Despite meeting the speed test for 4K I don’t actually get 4K from it but it works and looks a bit better than my PS4 playing the same game, as well as being a lot quieter. 

However if it’s earlier it’s a non starter. When the kids are both playing Minecraft and my girlfriend is watching Netflix in bed it literally won’t work, I just get connection errors and lag and it looks terrible when I can play. One kid and the girlfriend go to sleep and even one other person using the internet pushes it into being a worse looking, worse performing experience than my seven year old PS4. 

Im upgrading the broadband in a month or so to the highest speed fibre they can give me, and maybe that will change things. But I’d guess that even if that lets me play on Stadia at a decent quality while others are using the internet, it probably wouldn’t let three of us play on stadia at the same time. At the moment I’ve not used it that much because it only works if I want to use it in the dead of night. 

I've got a feeling we're all eventually going to need routers that do QoS for game streaming specifically, and let Netflix rely on its buffer. I think I saw some do that right now for Live/PSN, but xCloud and Stadia are going to need the same treatment.

25 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Exactly - as I said, people will happily choose objectively worse performance when there are other advantages. One of those advantages is saving money.

And one of the other advantages, ignoring what games are available, is that you don’t have to rely on your internet connection to play the games or get the best picture , or worry about lag, the service going down etc.

I mean clearly there are reasons why you can’t get a PS5 or Xbox or new RTX card for love nor money yet Stadia doesn’t really seem to be going anywhere, and it’s not just down to the lack of games, because there are decent games for it. Similar reasons, I imagine, why Gamepass Ultimate subscribers who only use the cloud service will be massively outnumbered by those with PC’s or Xbox’s. 

On Stadia’s case I suspect the reality is that the vast majority of people have no idea it even exists. Regardless of its value proposition or performance I’m not sure it’s even entered the public consciousness.

2 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

On Stadia’s case I suspect the reality is that the vast majority of people have no idea it even exists. Regardless of its value proposition or performance I’m not sure it’s even entered the public consciousness.

Yes - this is bigger than anything imho.

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

If this made any sense, no-one whose main hobby is gaming (and that definitely doesn’t include me!) would ever buy a PS5 or XBox X/S, because they offer objectively worse gaming performance than a PC. And yet they still do. Which should indicate to you that people will happily accept worse performance when there are other advantages.

But even as an avid PC user and gamer I’d never use one as my main lounge gaming system over an Xbox or PlayStation, regardless of performance. They’re just too much of a pain in the backside. Things like big picture mode have helped but they don’t remove the time Windows does something odd and leaves me needing to find a mouse/keyboard to fix it up again, Better performance for a trade off of convenience.

Stadia is a more interesting trade off. Plus and minus points on performance and maybe convenience if you have the right hardware in place (or will invest).

22 minutes ago, Stanley said:

And one of the other advantages, ignoring what games are available, is that you don’t have to rely on your internet connection to play the games or get the best picture , or worry about lag, the service going down etc.

Wait...so you are saying a local machine may have advantages that an internet machine does not? Interesting, interesting.

13 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Wait...so you are saying a local machine may have advantages that an internet machine does not? Interesting, interesting.

So what is your point regarding people being willing to accept worse performance i.e. console over pc, when the same can’t be said for people choosing streaming services over console? I mean there is no evidence of this, is there? 

10 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

I don’t know about this. I’ve seen a lot of YouTube ads for it and when mine arrived both my kids knew what it was immediately, which hasn’t come from me. That means either the YouTube ads have sunk in, or they’ve talked to someone else about it, or they’ve seen someone discussing it on YouTube. 

Neither of them expressed any interest in using it.

I've seen adverts. I'd say it's probably one of the most advertised products from Google outside of their own service interlinking (no evidence, but Google really don't advertise much). But as a new service up against established competitors it feels like it needs to try a bit harder than it did. Maybe that's promotions with game launches.

As much as I don't think it needs an exclusive title I guess you could argue that a big and exciting exclusive title might have driven more ongoing discussion about the platform and recruited people to actually try it.

I was aware that it was a thing, but had zero interest in it during its first year.

I don’t actually remember what the driver for me looking into it and signing for the trial was, but  as someone at the time with just a Switch and a Mac laptop it was super compelling. 

22 hours ago, Alex W. said:

In about five years we're going to be looking back on this and wondering how Google managed to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at the gaming equivalent of Spotify and not get any traction. It's such an innately obvious product if you can convince people to buy in. Not even literally buy in, just figuratively, there's a free version. There were so few ways to fuck this up with the resources at their disposal, but they really threaded that needle.

Will we? Its not like we're wondering about how Microsoft had a working version of the Spotify business model in place years beforehand with Zunepass and had an excellent interface ready to go based on the ZuneHD but failed to get anywhere due to their own pigheadedness. 

What seems flatout weird at this point is that Harrison is still running the show. Maybe I'm missing something hugely important but its hard to see anyway you could describe him as a success in his role. The technology works but most of that work was done before he showed up so you can't give him much credit for that. 

30 minutes ago, bear said:

What seems flatout weird at this point is that Harrison is still running the show. Maybe I'm missing something hugely important but its hard to see anyway you could describe him as a success in his role. The technology works but most of that work was done before he showed up so you can't give him much credit for that. 

You could almost say that the work done pre-Harrison i.e. the tech all works and the work done by Harrison i.e. the business model, the rollout, the external and internal development/ publishing engagement has all not worked!

40 minutes ago, bear said:

Will we? Its not like we're wondering about how Microsoft had a working version of the Spotify business model in place years beforehand with Zunepass and had an excellent interface ready to go based on the ZuneHD but failed to get anywhere due to their own pigheadedness. 

Well, figuratively. I don’t think anyone is actually surprised when a tech conglomerate kicks itself in the face trying to walk up stairs.

All this Destiny talk prompted me to boot it up (only the second Stadia game I’ve tried) and it seems alright, nice snd smooth, obviously not on a par with Cyberpunk graphically but it certainly gave me a touch of the Halo feels with the shooting.

On 16/02/2021 at 14:27, TehStu said:

I've only ever bought digital films at Amazon, because my sense is that they have the staying power. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a film from Microsoft (see: ebooks) or Google (propensity for killing products I like).

Well, here's another example

https://www.vg247.com/2021/03/02/playstation-store-film-tv-rent-buy/

Sony will still let you view films (until they decide not to). But there's presumably no means of backup for DRM streaming media.

If this is the future, it's convenient and painfully transient.

Phil Harrison is the Dido Harding of the game industry. Constant failure, keeps popping up untarnished. 

I'm not sure what his actual talent is supposed to be anyway. What's his background? 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Phil Harrison is the Dido Harding of the game industry. Constant failure, keeps popping up untarnished. 

I'm not sure what his actual talent is supposed to be anyway. What's his background? 

Yeah I don’t get it either. He had a pretty prominent career at Sony fifteen years ago, then it’s pretty much constant failure since then. He was at Infogrames when they rebranded to Atari then failed. He was at Gaikai. He worked at Microsoft Game Studios during the period where they shut down most of their studios and ended up with no games. He seems shite. 

It’s odd isn’t it.

I mean we see people who are shit all the time in high up jobs at our companies day to day but for the most part they’re all low profile. You can imagine how they get promoted at one company and/or get through interviews to move up the ladder. From there they can just move around over the years because as long as it’s not public facing no one really knows that they’re shit now references aren’t really a thing.

But I’m always amazed how high profile people like this who show very few, if any, successes keep landing elsewhere. They must be such amazing salesman who can somehow convince their new employer that the constant failures were somehow failures of those around them. He must be trading on some phenomenal promise/bullshit that he can deliver “the people” (be they talent or customers).

At that level there aren’t many jobs, or people who have experience in doing those jobs.  If you were trying to kickstart a gaming division would you want someone who’d done it before, or someone who hadn’t done it before?

10 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

At that level there aren’t many jobs, or people who have experience in doing those jobs.  If you were trying to kickstart a gaming division would you want someone who’d done it before, or someone who hadn’t done it before?

If it’s someone who hasn’t done it before or Phil Harrison I think I’d give the new person a shot? Assuming they have other relevant experience that puts them in contention for the role (by which I mean experience in the industry, not the Amazon route of hiring people who have no experience in the field because they were good at selling something else). If the choice is between someone who might fail or someone who has proven several times that they will fail I don’t really see what their experience is worth. 

I feel like the main problem is that corporate leadership positions see one success as a sign of talent, no matter how long ago it was. There seems to be a genuine belief that someone who successfully performed a role once twenty years ago is somehow a good bet to do the same thing despite the colossal changes to the industry over the last two decades. Similar to how designers who made some good games in the nineties keep finding funding for their new studio no matter how many games they tank.

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

It's like Premier League Football managers doing the rounds. Same faces failing at different places. But they have experience.

5 hours ago, Broker said:

Yeah I don’t get it either. He had a pretty prominent career at Sony fifteen years ago, then it’s pretty much constant failure since then. He was at Infogrames when they rebranded to Atari then failed. He was at Gaikai. He worked at Microsoft Game Studios during the period where they shut down most of their studios and ended up with no games. He seems shite. 

Don't forget the PS3, which tanked very hard in the US.