Google Stadia - “now a Game Pass killer: The Crew 2 >>> Forza Horizon”

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Thank you I just don’t have the need for it now, but if you read back my argument was never over the validity of streaming. Stadia as a business model has proved itself a disaster. 

That's fine, I think we're all in violent agreement in here that the Stadia business isn't working out for Google. But as a technology it's a glimpse of the future and I think that should be exciting for gamers because in the long run, it means more gamers, reduced cost and more gaming. 

2 minutes ago, Hass said:

That's fine, I think we're all in violent agreement in here that the Stadia business isn't working out for Google. But as a technology it's a glimpse of the future and I think that should be exciting for gamers because in the long run, it means more gamers, reduced cost and more gaming. 

It’s not as if it’s the first streaming service though is it? I think people expected a bit more at this point. 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

It’s not as if it’s the first streaming service though is it? I think people expected a bit more at this point. 

It's the first one that actually demonstrates that you don't need a console; Stadia is a 4k stream with 5.1 surround sound and negligible latency.  The narrative has entirely changed from "it's technically impossible for streaming to give me an experience similar to a local console" to "there aren't enough games on Stadia".  The later problem is just a matter of who publishes the games (basically MS, EA and Activision these days). 

6 minutes ago, Hass said:

It's the first one that actually demonstrates that you don't need a console; Stadia is a 4k stream with 5.1 surround sound and negligible latency.  The narrative has entirely changed from "it's technically impossible for streaming to give me an experience similar to a local console" to "there aren't enough games on Stadia".  The later problem is just a matter of who publishes the games (basically MS, EA and Activision these days). 

It’s not just that there aren’t enough games, and why should I settle for “similar to a console” ? If it’s not better I’m not interested to be frank. Apart from downloading times what can Stadia Pro offer me that an Xbox Series X or PS5 can’t? 

Anyway I don’t even know why I’m arguing it’s not like I’m invested either way, sorry :(

Think of it this way Stanley. Would you rather pay £450 for a console like experience or £0 for a console like experience? When you've already spent £450 you're already invested but many will decide they don't need a console next gen, and many people will realise that this gen. Just probably not on Stadia. 

Oh we’re talking about next generation now, let’s see what happens ;)

To answer your question though, right now I’d rather pay the £450 for the best console experience, rather than relying on internet connections, concerns about latency etc, etc. 

But I think you have me confused with some kind of Luddite who can’t see the future, I’ve been using streaming for years but it’s never ever been a one stop solution. 

Btw in the interest of not coming across as though I was being deceitful or arguing in bad faith, apparently Destiny 2 on Game Pass does include the recent Beyond Light expansion, now I have no idea what ‘seasonal content’ is or how any of it varies from the the standard free to play edition, but it’s easy to see how it’s not exactly straight forward, or that it might not be the killer app Stadia was looking for.

Seasonal content isn't in Game Pass.

There's usually a big or biggish expansion each year, around autumn. This is included in Game Pass. The last one was Beyond Light, last autumn.

The season pass is on top of that and contains content that's exclusive to the season. There are four seasons a year and each has different content. For example, in the current season there are the four Battlegrounds activities and associated loot. (Some of the best new weapons in the game are part of that.) There's also at least one new exotic quest/dungeon that's exclusive to season content. This season it's the Presage quest and dungeon, which give a weapon and catalyst that are exclusive to the season pass, Dead Man's Tale. For what it's worth, both the dungeon/quest and the weapon are excellent.

There's nothing stopping you buying the season pass on top of the Game Pass content - each season costs at most £8.50 - but obviously there's still a fair amount there even if you don't. It's not enough to keep you going through the year if you play regularly though, and you'll miss some of the best encounters/dungeons/lore/gear in the game if you don't do the seasons. So people who do like to play the game regularly, or enjoy the end game content, tend to pick up the season passes too.

19 hours ago, Stanley said:

I think this misses what Google achieved. If you go to the start of this thread, half the people are saying it would be impossible it even could work due to physics - and actually it works brilliantly.

So people expected a functional failure, and they certainly got more than that.

None of which matters if no fucker wants it.

Which tbf I'm not that unhappy about since I certainly did notice the lag and really don't like what streaming tech represents for preservation.

In about five years we're going to be looking back on this and wondering how Google managed to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at the gaming equivalent of Spotify and not get any traction. It's such an innately obvious product if you can convince people to buy in. Not even literally buy in, just figuratively, there's a free version. There were so few ways to fuck this up with the resources at their disposal, but they really threaded that needle.

27 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Which tbf I'm not that unhappy about since I certainly did notice the lag and really don't like what streaming tech represents for preservation.

How many have they sold?

I want it though, which neatly disproves you non-sequitur.

22 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I think this is an important point. If you look at why Xbox is successful at the moment one of the main reasons is that they have focussed on backwards compatibility and enhancements, and this has really gained them allegiance from their customers who appreciate being able to take their library of games with them and play them on pretty much any device they choose going forward. Streaming plays a part in this but they are still sensitive to what their customers want, and that the infrastructure just isn’t ready to support the market by streaming alone right now. 

And I should add that being able to play on multiple devices is irrelevant to me. I’m in the demographic which Google doesn’t seem to realise is actually key - gamers who don’t want to own a console anymore, because it’s unnecessary.

That potential market must dwarf those who want to be able to play Cyberpunk on their phones or whatever.

4 minutes ago, ZOK said:

And I should add that being able to play on multiple devices is irrelevant to me. I’m in the demographic which Google doesn’t seem to realise is actually key - gamers who don’t want to own a console anymore, because it’s unnecessary.

That potential market must dwarf those who want to be able to play Cyberpunk on their phones or whatever.

Surely that’s their entire raison d'être, the problem is that, clearly, lots of people do still want consoles, PC’s etc. 

43 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Of course - but that’s like saying no-one should be offering a bicycle because lots of people still want cars. It’s neither here nor there.

Sorry, I thought you were saying they needed to market it as ‘the console you don’t need a console for’ - isn’t that what they are doing? 

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

In about five years we're going to be looking back on this and wondering how Google managed to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at the gaming equivalent of Spotify and not get any traction. It's such an innately obvious product if you can convince people to buy in. Not even literally buy in, just figuratively, there's a free version. There were so few ways to fuck this up with the resources at their disposal, but they really threaded that needle.

But they didn’t build the Spotify equivalent in terms of the service you pay for. Which just seems incredible to me. How did no one at Google simply see that the all you can eat service model was the way when that’s basically the default for a streaming service of any other media.

I can only imagine that they got rebuffed by too many publishers who didn’t want to port their content for a subscription revenue model.

12 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

But they didn’t build the Spotify equivalent in terms of the service you pay for. Which just seems incredible to me. How did no one at Google simply see that the all you can eat service model was the way when that’s basically the default for a streaming service of any other media.

I can only imagine that they got rebuffed by too many publishers who didn’t want to port their content for a subscription revenue model.

And it’s yet to be proven whether the service could sustain that amount of traffic as it’s doing way more than just sending tiny mp3 files over, or even movies. Like, how quickly could they scale it to meet demand? Say you’ve got a couple of big new releases both selling in the region of 5-10m, all users attempting to access the service at the same time each requiring their own virtual console - then on top of that you’ve got a massive amount of Fortnite players etc. Is any game streaming service robust enough yet to carry that off? I imagine the answer is no which is why MS still sells consoles in order to assuage that kind of heavy traffic. 

Geforce Now has a queuing system. Not sure how it works on xcloud mind you. 

The market of 'gamers who don't want a console any more' clearly isn't very big or these various services would have taken off more. Why would it be? If it's your main hobby you don't want to make it worse out of convenience. 

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

The market of 'gamers who don't want a console any more' clearly isn't very big or these various services would have taken off more. Why would it be? If it's your main hobby you don't want to make it worse out of convenience. 

If this made any sense, no-one whose main hobby is gaming (and that definitely doesn’t include me!) would ever buy a PS5 or XBox X/S, because they offer objectively worse gaming performance than a PC. And yet they still do. Which should indicate to you that people will happily accept worse performance when there are other advantages.

Of course, Cyberpunk isn’t necessarily any worse on Stadia than a PS5 or XBox X - in fact according to many accounts it’s arguably better. So it’s not such a simple calculation - or at least it wouldn’t be if Stadia had any games! :sherlock: