Google Stadia - “nice packaging, ...certainly not worth a sub”

11 hours ago, Gabe said:

I know the belief is that google get bored and kill stuff - and I didn't go through the whole of that list - but lots were products that survived for 2+ years (lots were 5/6/7+). Certainly long enough to determine if it was worth continued investment or not.

Besides, don't people want tech companies to be continuing to trying stuff, even if it doesn't all work or last forever?

The problem is twofold.

1 - That they don't continue investment, they send a MVP out to die, don't improve it for 2+ years and then kill it because people didn't.

2 - That they're expecting people to base their entire online footprint or worse, a business on these systems and it doesn't really matter if things hang around because people have been burned too many times to ever invest in it.

Like Stadia, their method for playing cloud games primarily on Chromecasts.  It probably won't "die" for 2-3 years from now, but they've just launched the next generation Chromecast and that doesn't support it.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

they've just launched the next generation Chromecast and that doesn't support it.

They've confirmed that it will support it H1 next year alongside Android TV I think. The confusing thing here is that the new Chromecast is an Android TV device rather than a traditional Chromecast. 

31 minutes ago, Hass said:

They've confirmed that it will support it H1 next year alongside Android TV I think. The confusing thing here is that the new Chromecast is an Android TV device rather than a traditional Chromecast. 

If it mattered they’d make sure it was there day one. This just tells everyone they do not consider it important. This is not a small company. They have the man power to have it there day one. If Stadia was a pure subs platform maybe that would be okay (it still wouldn’t, it would make me look elsewhere) but they want people to buy games on their platform that will only work there. Your new premier TV streaming device not supporting it tells me I should not spend money here.

On 01/10/2020 at 21:03, Alex W. said:

They are PCs, they’re just running a Google-developed version of Linux rather than Windows.

Seems a gross generalisation calling the Stadia hardware a PC, unless any hardware which makes use of x86 is now a 'PC'.

Stadia runs on a bastard hybrid of x86 Intel and some form of AMD Vega-derived GFX. I'd think their reasons for wanting to roll their own OS are perfectly sound. The possibilities of the Stadia hardware set-up go beyond a mere bog-standard Microsoft Windows box and rolling your own OS gives you that flexibility.

Whether Google will ever realise the true potential of the Stadia platform is very much in doubt at this point in time, but that isn't really the fault of it not running Microsoft Windows, much in the same way any other console platform not owned by Microsoft doesn't run on Windows and has no problems being successful or failing.

I’m sorry, I’m genuinely not sure what the objection was.

The question was “why is Google creating a new hardware platform given how much that limits the games available”. My response was that it’s not terribly unorthodox hardware, the problem is that it is not an existing software development target like Windows. (Or PS or Xbox.)

That is their bootstrapping problem. Yes there are good reasons for it (nobody wants to licence the OS for their cloud gaming platform from a direct competitor) but it inevitably leads to that problem. New hardware or no.

And yes I would consider anything small and ATX derived to be a “PC” even if it’s running Linux, MS-DOS, OS/2 Warp or whatever.

The whole setup is just bizarre really. I've got an Nvidia Shield TV. That's an android TV device but it supports all gamepads you can think of AND has a built in Chromecast Ultra. However I can't use stadia with it because I don't have a stadia controller. And even if I did there's nothing to play on it unless I buy games I already own elsewhere. 

Too many hurdles and extra costs. In comparison, on the very same device I can stream a big chunk of my steam library, (including games my pc won't run) over geforce now without paying anything extra.

Once ms rolls out xcloud to platforms like android TV stadia is dead. 

2 hours ago, mushashi said:

much in the same way any other console platform not owned by Microsoft doesn't run on Windows and has no problems being successful or failing.

Console platforms not owned by Microsoft and not running windows have no problem being successful as they have an existing audience. If you squint and ignore the streaming, Google have rolled up with a new console which will kinda work like a PC and have just assumed people will go the extra mile to use it. It's a big ask. 

On the up side you can now just plug a second USB controller (including the Xbox accessibility pad) in to the USB port on the Stadia pad and have an instant split controller set up. They may not have the games yet but by god they have some interesting features.

8 hours ago, Hass said:

Yes, that was the answer they eventually panic tweeted hours after the event.

• 3 weeks later...

The creative director (what creations are there to direct?) of Stadia has some bad takes about streamers streaming games. I can't imagine why they seem to not have any understanding of the market or audience. 

Did lead to this amusing chain of tweets. 

FB_IMG_1603391964532.jpg

Jesus, reading his replies paints a picture of a creative director who really hates the same audience his dying platform wants to appeal to.

Well, I'm sure pissing off all streamers and their audiences will work wonders for Stadia's popularity like @MK-1601 says

16 hours ago, deerokus said:

Apparently his bio is very misleading. He's not the creative director of Stadia, which his bio implies. He's creative director of a small developer Google bought. Idiot. 

As much as I dislike Jason Schreier, I had to retweet this...

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - not even supported by Google’s new Chromecast

If anyone else thought the name was familiar but couldn’t place it, he wrote a (completely uncontroversial IMO) developer diary column in Edge from the founding of his studio until about when Journey to the Savage Planet came out.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just gone into YouTube and had a pop up from google thanking me for being a YouTube premium member and saying I can claim chrome cast ultra and stadia controller for free. Anyone else had that?

is the controller any good?

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

I’ve just gone into YouTube and had a pop up from google thanking me for being a YouTube premium member and saying I can claim chrome cast ultra and stadia controller for free. Anyone else had that?

is the controller any good?

The controller is really good. 

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “nice packaging, ...certainly not worth a sub”