Google Stadia - “it’s too bleak to read, say streaming fans”

Packaging is lovely, feels premium with thick cardboard which fits tightly together, same as an iPhone box. 

The controller is perfectly functional, a little plain and white but pretty good. 

In the box you get a controller, plug, usb to usbc lead, a chromecast device and another plug for that. It looks like micro usb for the chromecast though. 

I'm not even sure the business model is questionable these days. It's just the availability of games on the platform really. 

If you're being given it for free just use it and accept it's limitations around game availability. I personally think it's a glimpse of the future today. But right now, it's more likely MS will realise that future once they bring their streaming stick out for xcloud.

9 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

ironically Youtube Premium subscribers are probably less aware of Stadia than everyone else through not seeing adverts for it in front of every fucking video.

I was aware of it, but had mostly ignored it as it didn't interest me and the game choice looked poor. But if they're giving me free stuff...? :P 

I think that's it really. Streaming really does work but it's all about the games and there's not yet critical mass of support on Stadia. They need Activision on there and even Nintendo now that Bethesda are probably pulling out. They also need Bungie to implement crossplay on D2 and upgrade the Stadia servers to compete with next gen. Right now, I think Stadia is just demonstrating what Game Pass will become.

I don't think streaming works well enough, especially not on the connections and conditions that the "FifaCod" public will use them in.

But Stadia Pro certainly does have the issue it has one game I actually want to play and I bought that for a fiver.

Its now been a year since this launched. They have made some improvements to the service but its harder to recommend now than it was at launch because they haven't made the sort of moves you'd think they need in order to be competitive with either Sony or Microsoft. Luna already looks a more interesting prospect. 

The Pac-Man and Bomberman games are neat. Which is nice.

Pre order Cyberpunk on Stadia and get a free controller/Chromecast now. They seem to be giving a lot of these away.

The problem is, there's over 100 games now, which is great but there's nothing that you can't get elsewhere. It's a shame, I've been playing Ass Creed Odessey and it works great. 

14 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Pre order Cyberpunk on Stadia and get a free controller/Chromecast now. They seem to be giving a lot of these away.

The problem is, there's over 100 games now, which is great but there's nothing that you can't get elsewhere. It's a shame, I've been playing Ass Creed Odessey and it works great. 

And you'd be mad to buy cyberpunk and have it locked to a doomed format. 

14 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Can you figure out if that's only if you're not already a subscriber?  The small print says you need a base account... so maybe I could suspend my pro sub for a month...

(I reckon Stadia will be around long enough for me to get all I want out of Cyberpunk, and having another Chromecast so I can play on another tv without faffing about would be quite handy... and the extra controller would be nice too)

EDIT - ok, I read the terms again, and it seems to apply to anyone.  And I'm officially a sucker :D 

I don't think they have complete faith in the release date; the game is supposed to come out on the 10th, yet you can get the free stuff as long as you 'pre-order' before the 17th... hmmm

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

And you'd be mad to buy cyberpunk and have it locked to a doomed format. 

I never quite understand this argument. Is the concern here that Google are just going to turn the service off and not offer you anything in return for whatever you've invested to-date? I know Google have track record for shutting down free shit like Reader and Inbox but cutting people off from their purchases is a different kettle of fish that would do them a lot more reputational harm. The worst case scenario I see playing out here is that Google basically indefinitely support the service but it doesn't get any upgrades.

I would imagine that any purchases made on Stadia are technically for a license to play the game using the Stadia service, rather than actual ownership. I would also imagine that said license is only valid for as long as the service is active. If Google wanted to I imagine they could pull the plug whenever they like, although you'd think they'd offer some kind of compensation to avoid a PR nightmare.

I'm no expect but I think this is effectively the same as any game purchase. The difference is that Sony and Microsoft can't wander into your house and take your console away.

I dunno, Google seem to be going all in with this, I think the first year should have been labelled 'early access' really, as many things they promised at the start have been drip fed in over time. 

The main problem is lack of back catalogue and exclusives, but they should come eventually, Ubi+ is coming soon, EA games are coming. 

They could do with a CoD or Fortnite f2p to get people on there. I think people might be put off by not knowing if it'll even work on their connection, so something free would be perfect for that. 

20 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

I dunno, Google seem to be going all in with this

They do? Other than these panic giveaways they seem to have done very little.

15 hours ago, ChristopherBloodAxe said:

Can't you access your purchases through YouTube music? I assumed they transfered purchases as well as playlists.

Yes, but

a) Only if you opt-in

b) If you don't pay a subscription there will be adverts in your purchased music.

20 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

I dunno, Google seem to be going all in with this, I think the first year should have been labelled 'early access' really, as many things they promised at the start have been drip fed in over time. 

The main problem is lack of back catalogue and exclusives, but they should come eventually, Ubi+ is coming soon, EA games are coming. 

They could do with a CoD or Fortnite f2p to get people on there. I think people might be put off by not knowing if it'll even work on their connection, so something free would be perfect for that. 

Do they? They released their latest most powerful Chromcast just a month ago and it doesn’t support Stadia. That tells me some subset of them cares but not the organisation. As a huge organisation with masses of cash they don’t need to drip feed anything, if they wanted they’d have it done.

• footle changed the title to Google Stadia - “it’s too bleak to read, say streaming fans”