Google Stadia - “being buried in a deep hole next to Google Circles and the rest”

footle

29 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Not that i know of, maybe some android or google photo album hookup I’d guess at.

I thought it was useless but quite like it for streaming as my tv getting on and the apps very clunky for netflix/amazon prime and non existent for disney.

So probably worth hanging on to for the future then…although I’m not sure I know how to work it!

45 minutes ago, ZOK said:

So if you can do all that natively from the telly, there’s no point to it?

Pretty much. 

I don't actually have a smart TV but almost all the video apps we use are on the Sky set-top box, so the experience is essentially the same. 

The one exception I actually sometimes use is the F1TV app. It allows casting of F1 content (races, highlights, documentaries etc) to Chromecast, which is a bit nicer than watching on an iPad. 

But yes, if your TV does everything that you want already, then a Chromecast tends to be a solution in want of a problem. 

I use both my chromecasts loads. All our household watching choices are down on our phones and then cast to our TV of choice. I was doing laundry in the front room, watching the football and before I went upstairs, I could get it playing up there without leaving the front room and then transfer it back downstairs, all remotely. I have a smart plug upstairs too so turn in all on and off after use.

44 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Pretty much. 

I don't actually have a smart TV but almost all the video apps we use are on the Sky set-top box, so the experience is essentially the same. 

The one exception I actually sometimes use is the F1TV app. It allows casting of F1 content (races, highlights, documentaries etc) to Chromecast, which is a bit nicer than watching on an iPad. 

But yes, if your TV does everything that you want already, then a Chromecast tends to be a solution in want of a problem. 

We don’t have an All4 app, could I use it for that? Mind you we just tend to use the web browser for that, it works just as well.

All4 supports casting. Just need to look for the tv screen icon with a wifi signal in bottom left corner.

Only big ones that don’t I know of are Sky and Apple, but think you can get round that of you got chrome browser as can cast from there. 

32 minutes ago, Gotters said:

All4 supports casting. Just need to look for the tv screen icon with a wifi signal in bottom left corner.

Only big ones that don’t I know of are Sky and Apple, but think you can get round that of you got chrome browser as can cast from there. 

I don't think you can cast Sky to a Chromecast because as far as I know you can't watch Sky in a Chrome browser window. You do the login/user authentication in-browser but then it calls a separate app (called Sky Desktop Player or something like that) to do the actual playback. 

52 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Is casting different from mirroring? I can mirror my phone screen to my telly…I think I did that before with All4 but it was unsatisfactory for some reason.

Casting isn’t sending the image data from your phone to the tv, I believe it merely authorises you can watch certain content then points your chromecast at it to stream it directly.

Your phone/tablet is just an access point to kick things off

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, bear said:

They've also said they'll be issuing some form of update or tool so you can use the Stadia controller in Bluetooth mode. 

This is excellent news! Quite liked that controller. Will be a useful spare for my Steam Deck.

Nice. I had difficulty with switching Xbox and PlayStation controllers between their respective consoles, Steam Deck and back again - always a faff that never quite worked. This seems to rather neatly solve that problem. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Nice. I had difficulty with switching Xbox and PlayStation controllers between their respective consoles, Steam Deck and back again - always a faff that never quite worked. This seems to rather neatly solve that problem. 

Yeah, I’ve had all sorts of bother using my Switch Pro controllers with Mac and back, these will be ideal.

9 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

It's like a browny, slightly orange tinged lining for stadia owners.

Really? They are as good as Switch Pro controllers, and they’ve cost us nothing. Difficult to see it as anything other than excellent news.

Just now, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

What happens to the Stadia owners who have paid for games and now have no means of playing them?

every purchase made, hardware & software, was fully refunded.

The pad updated nicely and seems to work fine as a pad, but completely kills my bluetooth mouse every time I turn it on. They seem to interfere with each other quite badly.