Google Stadia - “being buried in a deep hole next to Google Circles and the rest”

footle

I think it’s a CSR issue for them. If they don’t sort out a firmware update they are basically sending a mountain of plastic and electronics to landfill for no good reason other than ‘we couldn’t be arsed’.

The dedicated Xcloud streaming thing might be closer to fruition than folks thought:

See the little white Xbox looking thing on the top shelf. Phil has done this sort of thing before, so people are watching his photos like a hawk now.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Curious, I was sent this tweet yesterday

They said that the streaming stick idea was dead, good to see it possibly coming true.  Id definitely get one for the bedroom, even though my wife insisted on a 32" that i need to wear glasses to be able to play games on!

It would be fine if they'd dropped even a hint of the services they were refering to but they don't even fuck it up badly enough to mention Stadia.

So I guess the ad was plastered with Stadia logos but those had to be hastily pulled. Leaving them with a generic cloud gaming ad but no partners to put alongside it.

A simple Nvidia Now or Xbox logo would maybe help guide the user to these amazing experiences they can have on their Chromebook.

(I think on one video on the screen you may be able to see the Nvidea Now logo but not clear).

29 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

So I guess the ad was plastered with Stadia logos but those had to be hastily pulled. Leaving them with a generic cloud gaming ad but no partners to put alongside it.

Doesn't Stadia only have about 400 games though? Where did they pull the other 600+ from?

7 minutes ago, deKay said:

Also, Chromebooks can *already* do streaming. What does this new one add?

RGB

More seriously, ads don't have to be for new stuff. Just to remind people of an angle they might not have considered. Or reach new people.

9 minutes ago, deKay said:

Doesn't Stadia only have about 400 games though? Where did they pull the other 600+ from?

No idea. Not sure it really matters. It just feels weird all round. Even if Stadia had still existed and it meant to reference it it seems odd to advertise a very generic "you can game here' message without pointing people at one or more services.

3 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

It would be fine if they'd dropped even a hint of the services they were refering to but they don't even fuck it up badly enough to mention Stadia.

A simple Nvidia Now or Xbox logo would maybe help guide the user to these amazing experiences they can have on their Chromebook.

(I think on one video on the screen you may be able to see the Nvidea Now logo but not clear).

While not entirely legible, the GeForce NOW logo is visible in the bottom right on all the thumbnails shown in the video. That service boasts "1000+ Games, Ready to Play", so that's where that number comes from.

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

Cloud streaming, and also I think they're adding Steam-compatibility (but presumably only anything that works on Linux? I don't know about games on computers) soon.

If they get Steam running then that could be interesting but limited.

Valve's Steam Deck runs Linux which means they're getting anything and everything they can running under Linux without porting (so the Windows versions of games just installing and running on Linux). But that's just the start. Being compatible isn't enough.

It would depend on anyone making a Chromebook with hardware that can run anything. Reality is that these are low powered machines with basically no graphics hardware (at least in PC game terms) so even if you could run a random Steam game natively it's probably going to crash and burn very quickly.

So streaming makes the most sense for a Chromebook really.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...