rllmuk
Goose

Rocketman - Taron Egerton as Elton John

Having taken over the reigns on Bohemian Rhapsody, Dexter Fletcher turns his hand to another flamboyant star with Rocketman, the story of Elton John. Targon Egerton takes the lead (after both Justin TImberlack and Tom Hardy were considered). The film is less biopic and more fantasy musical set around songs and moment in John's life. 

It's apparently no holds barred, going for a warts and all depiction and an R-rating, with the blessing of Elton John himself (who acts as producer alongside Matthew Vaughn).

I thought I'd seen this billed, mainly by Elton himself (and Goose above :) ), as more of a musical fantasy than a straight-up biopic but judging from this it's pretty much a straight-up biopic but with a bit more whimsy than Bohemian Rhapsody. Looks good though and Egerton has done all the vocals.

12 minutes ago, Harsin said:

So Robb Stark is John Reid in this one? They should have got Aidan Gillen back to basically be the Nick Fury of these films.

Please no, the guy is as good at doing accents as Keanu Reeves is.

11 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Went to see this last night, knowing almost nothing about it bar a couple of trailers. Absolutely loved it.

knowing nothing about an Elton John biopic?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Bag said:

I thought this was great.  Hadn’t clocked that was Bryce Dallas Howard at all.

Same here, I was quite shocked when I saw her name in the credits as I couldn't remember her being in it at all. 

It was a fucking great film though, and I am not even really a fan of Elton John, apart fron a couple of songs. 

Yeah, this was great. Although I found the black line they'd painted on Egerton's teeth to mimic Elton's gap very distracting. He was fantastic, though. Completely dominated the role. 

Yes, better than I expected too. The first half was a lot stronger than the second as I felt the descent into drugs and alcoholism was a bit kid gloves. I think there was a fine line between showing Elton as a complete arsehole during this period but they drew back and kept him on the side of cuddly, sympathetic hero. I think this was a missed opportunity because it actually would have humanised him more. The baddies were all pantomime too with no shades of grey.

But Egerton was terrific, the songs and spectacle fantastic and there were some great one-liners in there.

Loved it. Such a refreshing way of doing a biopic.

I was hooked from the scene with young Elton in bed with his torch.

I really loved it too. Unsubtle as fuck and completely unashamed of being cheesy and over the top. The songs are obviously great but they’re brilliantly staged as well. A real pleasant surprise. 

Thought this was really good, on a par with and of a similar style to Sunshine on Leith. Egerton was excellent, as were Stephen Graham, Jamie Bell and Bryce Dallas-Howard. The Troubadour performance stood out in particular.

On 29/05/2019 at 01:39, Mawdlin said:

Yes, better than I expected too. The first half was a lot stronger than the second as I felt the descent into drugs and alcoholism was a bit kid gloves. I think there was a fine line between showing Elton as a complete arsehole during this period but they drew back and kept him on the side of cuddly, sympathetic hero. I think this was a missed opportunity because it actually would have humanised him more. The baddies were all pantomime too with no shades of grey.

But Egerton was terrific, the songs and spectacle fantastic and there were some great one-liners in there.

It’s all relative. Compare how John comes across in this to mercury in the other film...

I really enjoyed this. Definitely not subtle but you don't want subtle in a musical about Elton John. Really enjoyed how creative they got with the way the numbers were filmed. 

Good film, miles better than Bohemian Rhapsody.