IGNORED

Rocketman - Taron Egerton as Elton John

Goose

Having taken over the reigns on Bohemian Rhapsody, Dexter Fletcher turns his hand to another flamboyant star with Rocketman, the story of Elton John. Targon Egerton takes the lead (after both Justin TImberlack and Tom Hardy were considered). The film is less biopic and more fantasy musical set around songs and moment in John's life. 

It's apparently no holds barred, going for a warts and all depiction and an R-rating, with the blessing of Elton John himself (who acts as producer alongside Matthew Vaughn).

• 4 months later...

I thought I'd seen this billed, mainly by Elton himself (and Goose above :) ), as more of a musical fantasy than a straight-up biopic but judging from this it's pretty much a straight-up biopic but with a bit more whimsy than Bohemian Rhapsody. Looks good though and Egerton has done all the vocals.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, The Bag said:

I thought this was great.  Hadn’t clocked that was Bryce Dallas Howard at all.

Same here, I was quite shocked when I saw her name in the credits as I couldn't remember her being in it at all. 

It was a fucking great film though, and I am not even really a fan of Elton John, apart fron a couple of songs. 

Yeah, this was great. Although I found the black line they'd painted on Egerton's teeth to mimic Elton's gap very distracting. He was fantastic, though. Completely dominated the role. 

Yes, better than I expected too. The first half was a lot stronger than the second as I felt the descent into drugs and alcoholism was a bit kid gloves. I think there was a fine line between showing Elton as a complete arsehole during this period but they drew back and kept him on the side of cuddly, sympathetic hero. I think this was a missed opportunity because it actually would have humanised him more. The baddies were all pantomime too with no shades of grey.

But Egerton was terrific, the songs and spectacle fantastic and there were some great one-liners in there.

Thought this was really good, on a par with and of a similar style to Sunshine on Leith. Egerton was excellent, as were Stephen Graham, Jamie Bell and Bryce Dallas-Howard. The Troubadour performance stood out in particular.

On 29/05/2019 at 01:39, Mawdlin said:

Yes, better than I expected too. The first half was a lot stronger than the second as I felt the descent into drugs and alcoholism was a bit kid gloves. I think there was a fine line between showing Elton as a complete arsehole during this period but they drew back and kept him on the side of cuddly, sympathetic hero. I think this was a missed opportunity because it actually would have humanised him more. The baddies were all pantomime too with no shades of grey.

But Egerton was terrific, the songs and spectacle fantastic and there were some great one-liners in there.

It’s all relative. Compare how John comes across in this to mercury in the other film...

I really enjoyed this. Definitely not subtle but you don't want subtle in a musical about Elton John. Really enjoyed how creative they got with the way the numbers were filmed. 

Good film, miles better than Bohemian Rhapsody. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, sir stiff_one said:

How can you not be an Elton John fan?

nice write up, gonna catch this soon

I like quite a lot of his songs (and like them more for having watched the film) but I’d rarely seek out one of his songs to listen to, and I’m not really familiar with them beyond the big hits. I dunno, growing up, Elton John was always mum music, and I never really shook off the sense of total non-coolness that hung over him in the nineties - clearly, I was wrong!