IGNORED

Films that are good for the soul

NickC

Some great choices in here; you lot have pretty much taken all the ones I would have said. These are films that inevitably come on at 11:30pm when I’m thinking about going to bed, and I think “I’ll just watch the first ten minutes” and then end up watching the whole thing.

2 hours ago, hub2 said:

Paddington 2

I grabbed this for my daughter a while ago, with no personal interest at all and an assumption that it'd be the usual saccharine nonsense for kids, but it's absolutely wonderful. Such a beautifully crafted film, that puts a lot of more serious, adult fare to shame.

On the same note, The Greatest Showman. Generally I have no time at all for the entire musical genre, to be honest, but again, this is just brilliantly made and a joyous, uplifting experience. Hugh Jackman is far too talented and likeable and should be banned.

Setting aside some great films that have already been mentioned (Lady Bird, Wilderpeople, Bill & Ted, A New Hope)...

School of Rock

A Knight's Tale

Almost Famous

Adventureland

Babe

Tangled

I don't know if these are good for *everyone's* soul, but they're good for mine. 

Always had a soft spot for Meet Joe Black. Fantastic score, brilliant performances by Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt as death as he awkwardly experiences life and love for the first time.

Also Field of Dreams and The Green Mile.

On 01/10/2018 at 13:55, ZOK said:

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

Although there is a lot of misery in it. And the ending is achingly bittersweet, rather than joyful. But it’s the most beauty ever to have been committed to celluloid, so it does wonders for the soul. 

Started that on friday but didn't click with my missus, we had earlier watched the greatest showman with the kids so i think she was sung out!  I was enjoying it so will go back to it this week! 

Paris, Texas

Such a beautiful story, about a fractured family rediscovering itself, psychological anguish, and both parental and spousal love. It ends on a real bittersweet moment and yet the journey of the characters and how they reconnect supplies a deeply soulful experience that avoids cliche.

I get a similar emotional reaction with Where The Wild Things Are, which is another film about a character who has an extreme response to strong emotions within a family setting and has to learn to deal with it. These two would make a great double bill.

1 hour ago, fattakin said:

Started that on friday but didn't click with my missus, we had earlier watched the greatest showman with the kids so i think she was sung out!  I was enjoying it so will go back to it this week! 

Nice! How far in were you?

On 02/10/2018 at 19:19, The Eagle Lord said:

Wow Chef is really really good, thanks for whoever recommended that also whoever said the soundtrack was great was also right on the ball too!

Chef is wonderful. It does nothing clever but as the thread title suggests its just good for your soul. Makes you happy after watching it.