Loik V credern

FREE SOLO - out 11th December

Superb. Glad I didn’t see it on the big screen, don’t think my vertigo could’ve taken it. His relationship with his girlfriend was hilarious (in a nice way).

Finally managed to see this tonight on National Geographic as I couldn’t get to a cinema when it was showing.

Amazing stuff. The Boulder Problem was intense.

• Upvote 2

Looking forward to watching this again as it was just about the best film I saw last year. 

I do  hope there are no ads on the Nat Geo showing.

6 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Looking forward to watching this again as it was just about the best film I saw last year. 

I do  hope there are no ads on the Nat Geo showing.

I was worried about that. But glad to report, no ads.

Just now, Bazjam said:

I was worried about that. But glad to report, no ads.

That's good news!

I shall download it when I get home.

I think the first 2am Sunday showing had ads as the run time was 2hrs. The 8pm showing was more like 1hr 40 and presumably was the one without ads.

Definitely one of the most intense watches ever, even knowing the result. I've been rock climbing myself since last summer and cannot comprehend how someone can do this, or any of the other routes he has done free solo. Some of those holds were so tiny they made me feel sick watching it. Insanity.

Would recommend Valley Uprising on Netflix for anyone who enjoyed this. About the history and pioneers of climbing in Yosemite.

I had ads from the Sky download and also the Nat Geo logo burning my plasma therefore, as I've already  paid to see it at the cinema and have the Sky sub, had less qualms than I usually might about sourcing it 'elsewhere'.

4 hours ago, Nosejam said:

I think the first 2am Sunday showing had ads as the run time was 2hrs. The 8pm showing was more like 1hr 40 and presumably was the one without ads.

Definitely one of the most intense watches ever, even knowing the result. I've been rock climbing myself since last summer and cannot comprehend how someone can do this, or any of the other routes he has done free solo. Some of those holds were so tiny they made me feel sick watching it. Insanity.

Would recommend Valley Uprising on Netflix for anyone who enjoyed this. About the history and pioneers of climbing in Yosemite.

What kind of climbing are you doing? Indoor/outdoor, bouldering/roped etc?

8 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

What kind of climbing are you doing? Indoor/outdoor, bouldering/roped etc?

Indoor bouldering, have tried some top roping at another gym but really like the freedom of bouldering. I really should of started 10+ years ago though, not at 40! 

It's great fun, social, good exercise and cheap too. I love it.

• Upvote 2

I've skied with Jimmy Chin, incredible gentleman and just insanely passionate about what he does. 

If you enjoyed Free Solo then check out Meru, another amazing movie about climbing. 

Also see into thin air and the BBC doc about the Eiger called the wall of death.

Then read the best mountaineering book of all time, Walter bonatti's The Mountains of My Life.

1 hour ago, Nosejam said:

Indoor bouldering, have tried some top roping at another gym but really like the freedom of bouldering. I really should of started 10+ years ago though, not at 40! 

It's great fun, social, good exercise and cheap too. I love it.

Hah, I also wish I started a lot earlier. I much prefer bouldering but my friends like lead (and top rope) so I have to do that too.

What area do you live in? I’m in West Yorkshire but tend to go to the same gym (ROKT) as it’s in the middle of us all.

57 minutes ago, Pete said:

Also see into thin air and the BBC doc about the Eiger called the wall of death.

Then read the best mountaineering book of all time, Walter bonatti's The Mountains of My Life.

Have they made a documentary of Into Thin Air?

Yep the BBC did. It's better than the film Everest anyway.

I fucking love bouldering. It makes any other sport you do much easier and it's really fun. It's pretty amazing to be able to compare yourself to the pros, I wish I'd started when I was ten!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Connected to that film recommendation,  Heinrich Harrer's 'The White Spider' is my favourite mountaineering book -  a wonderfully evocative account of an incredibly bold achievement on a wall that remains hugely intimidating..

• Upvote 1

Free Solo shows how far climbing has evolved, from Warren Harding first climbing El Cap in 47 days to Alex Honnold doing it in less than 4 hours without ropes. Crazy stuff. My house wall has bigger holds than some of El Cap. 

1 hour ago, Kryptonian said:

The Dawn Wall is on Netflix now too :)

Just finished watching it, fantastic documentary.  It’s just mind blowing how relaxed and level headed they seem throughout the climb, considering they are very small and the wall is very fucking big. 

I think Meru is also on Netflix and that's pretty damn good. I love mountaineering films a bit more than pure rock climbing ones largely due to the fact it's my own preference climbing wise. 

Well it was until we had a baby....

Just watched this tonight and it was immense. Some of the shots of him climbing were just mind boggling, not so much defying gravity but pissing in its face. The guy's not human. 

I got bit emotional towards the end. Just wow. 

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

Just watched this tonight and it was immense. Some of the shots of him climbing were just mind boggling, not so much defying gravity but pissing in its face. The guy's not human. 

I got bit emotional towards the end. Just wow. 

Its some of the greatest photography in the history of human kind. And to think it was shot by his friends who were expecting at any second to see their friend die. 

It's almost beyond comprehension.

• Upvote 3

We watched this tonight too. What an extraordinary film, and a wonderful counterpart to The Dawn Wall, which we caught a couple of weeks ago. I think the most remarkable aspect is that while I was watching TDW, and expecting to see FS in the near future, I was sort of thinking about how Honnold's achievement was undoubtedly incredible but that, surely, the climbing itself couldn't possibly compare with what Caldwell and Jorgeson spent multiple weeks trying and failing on. And then I watched it, and discovered that while there might be a small technical distinction between the two - or perhaps, the sheer number of extreme difficulty pitches was higher in TDW - that it really was, to my uneducated eye, really much the same, except without ropes or rest or a partner or any rational hope of survival.

I mean, he's not only done something that no one else has ever done, he's done something that quite probably no one else on the planet right now could or would do, and it's entirely likely that it's something that no one else will ever do. I was glad that I watched his TED talk (linked somewhere upthread I think?) beforehand because it provided a really nice primer for his mentality and perfectionism. He clearly has no interest in dying, but he fully accepts the possibility of it. He was happy for a documentary to be made of what he was doing, but it was really just a fringe benefit and the entire enterprise and literal years of practice and preparation were, at their core, to ensure that his experience was the perfect high that he sought, and that his life had been working towards. I wonder if now, finally, he's satisfied.

• Upvote 4