Loik V credern

FREE SOLO - out 11th December

This has been my most anticipated film for a year, since the director Jimmy Chin's photos of Alex Honnold's El Capitan ropeless climb were put on to a webpage without National Geographic's permission and they were taken down before i got the chance to see them. 

Hopefully, of a 4 hour climb there's at least an hour of footage. 

There's a clip on gq which is not on YouTube for some reason that shows the most difficult moves of the route. It's more ridiculous than i thought anything in the climb was. He's roped. Just...imagine a few hours in attempting it. 

https://www.gq.com/story/free-solo-exclusive-clip

I can understand Honnold's reasons for soloing, just can't comprehend reducing a vast challenge to something possible. No mistakes allowed for 4 hours. He's like an alien. 

I'd probably travel the country to catch this at the cinema. Should be out in uk before Christmas. 

• Upvote 8

This video does the best job of any I've seen of making his climb and the consequences feel real.

The bit at 2:50 is :wacko:...i mean really fucking hell. 

I can't really grasp Honnold (or any free solo climber). I always think of Tom Daley in the last Olympics, when he got an all time great score in the preliminary round but the next day just fell short to qualify for the final. 

"Sometimes you don’t really understand what’s happening there,” said Jane Figueiredo, Daley's coach. “The brain’s telling you something but the body’s not connecting. I know he was sure as heck doing his best to make his body go there.”

I guess Honnold can and has judged how he's feeling it on a given day and decided to not commit. Still think that's what really defines him, the love and desire to do it. Imagine yourself in that position at 2:55, you'd have to embrace the challenge and joy of climbing to get through it. Alex says; 'what keeps me from falling is knowing i won't fall'. Obviously if he didn't want to do it then he wouldn't attempt it and put himself in positions of doubt.

Climbing with complete freedom to him is the greatest joy, it overrides the precarious positions he finds himself in. Which is still hard to fathom, when i watch the el sendero climb, i can't believe my eyes. And those were just the parts of the route Honnold was comfortable with recreating for the film. The wall seems entirely flat, the wind is blowing heavily, at one point he crosses over his right hand with his left and left foot across his right...it's insane. I guess just because it appears to be a precarious position doesn't mean it is. He'll just say it's easy and comfortable for him.

I'm kind of embarrassingly obsessed by Alex Honnold, i guess because his solos are put to film and others who do them largely haven't been. Imagine doing something so badass and no one seeing it. 

He's said that no solo climber has fell on anything really challenging, it's always something far lower than their level, the feeling being because they're not as enthused they're less bothered and a little bit of complacency seeps in. 

I think if Honnold was ever to meet his end climbing (morbid i know but i check to see if he's still alive when i google his name) it'd be with an alpine climb where he's out of his comfort zone. i

I kind of want him to stop soloing but then i read about his recent skyscraper climb and was disappointed there was no footage. 

I really want to watch this. I soloed an 8m E2 once and had brown trousers by the time I topped out despite a load of crashmats. This is miles harder and about 130x longer. Honnold is fucking amazing.

How he maintains his cool is unreal.

• Upvote 3

I think the fact that Honnold falls a couple of times during his roped practice runs really puts into perspective the achievement here. 

Awesome. Honnold and his ilk are beasts. There was a guy on top gear, Leo, also a beast. Yosemite is stunning. I love these documentaries about cultures and people that revolves around these hobbies. Riding Giants, about big wave surfing is wonderful and theres another surf film , i havent seen it, on netflix about Shane Dorian just now too.

Yeah also amazing. 

I've sat at the bottom of El Cap staring up at in awe but I've only ever climbed on Half Dome cos I've always been too shit for El Cap. Anyone soloing it is superhuman. 

Holy fuck. Goosebumps watching these clips. This has shot to a must must watch for me. It's easy for someone not in the realm of pushing oneself to the absolute limit to write someone like this off as a nutter, but if you can just think about the gamut of human emotions and what makes you passionate you can relate (well I can) This stuff is his life, and he wants to reach his pinnacle, his ultimate. Still a nutter though.

4 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

I came to this thinking it was about how Disney were giving away Solo for free....

But this does look good And is probably better than Solo.

It was going to be called Solo before the Star Wars film got in the way. The crew were following Honnold for months to make a film about him, and he used the film as motivation to really go for El Capitan. I hope to go there one day, the scale of nature/art when experienced in person can really have an effect on you that's overwhelming. I got it from a Rothko, stature of David, and the grand canyon. 

4 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

There's a great docu. on Netflix called Valley Uprising about the history of rock climbing and the first people to scale El Capitan and other cliffs. Worth a watch for sure.

Yeah i loved this documentary, really recommended, and not that easy to buy/access when i tried to watch it. The way it uses photos to bring the period to life is so seamless and effective. Jimmy Chin made Meru as well about alpine climbing which is supposed to be great, and is also on Netflix. Not seen it yet. 

On 10/11/2018 at 13:52, MpM said:

Thoroughly irresponsible, if you ask me.

Honnold's mum has more reason than anyone to lose her mind with worry over Honnold's free solos yet is pretty relaxed about them. Maybe she has no choice but to accept it. She says 'i think Alex is measured and knows what he is capable of'. It's other climbers who flip out most about his climbs, who know the difficulties. There's footage in smaller films he's done where no one in the group will commit to a route and Alex will say; 'are we just going to sit around then, if no one will try it i will'. Then he's essentially soloing as if he falls it will be an 80 ft drop. He just does it.

There's one in Ireland in YouTube where he on sighted it with no prior knowledge or preparation and there's a load of people watching at the top, trying to be quiet and not put him off. The host of the video described it as the most intense thing he's ever seen, you see Alex check holds, measure the route, and go back to go forwards. 

I'm more nervous watching other people free solo now - Alex in all the videos is so assured and calm, smiling, whistling, loving every second. No grunts, no aggression, no apparent struggle. So he seems so supernatural. 

Wow. I'm still really chuffed I've done a 6a at my local bouldering wall.

The idea of doing harder stuff,  for four hours, with the risk of death... Just insane. Can't wait for this.

• Upvote 1

I've been (indoor) climbing for a few months now myself and still go to jelly at the top of the 12m wall. I can not comprehend how someone can do something like this and even though watching the trailer made me feel sick, I'll still be going to watch this at the cinema. 

Anyone seen this? Watched it at the cinema tonight. Really good. His almost Asperger type personality and his single minded determination to achieve his goal reminded me of Neil Armstrong in First Man. Footage of the climb is incredibly tense.

This was fantastic. Never have I felt such tension despite knowing the outcome. And more, a fascinating character piece and study of documentary filmmaking. Essential viewing for anyone interested in climbing, and I'd be interested to hear the opinions of anyone else. 

Just back from this after seeing it with my mountaineer mate who was seeing it for the second time. As someone who has never rock climbed in his life and who is pretty scared of heights, I thought this was brilliant. Some of the shots were physically repulsive and brought forth audible gasps from the audience. There were people grimacing and reeling in their seats everywhere, myself included. A couple of people were watching it through their fingers. It was like a horror film. Great stuff.

As a documentary I thought it was really well made, too. As well as (or perhaps even more than) being a film about climbing, it was also a really interesting character study into Alex himself and his relationships. I don't think the film would have been half as interesting if Alex was a more normal type of person. It reminded my in places of Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man, which also focuses on a somewhat eccentric American male doing unbelievably dangerous things, and the strain it puts on his relationships with others.

Anyway, thoroughly recommend - go and see it.

Well that was incredible. Great to see it in a packed showing with gasps and people squirming. I'm glad the actual climb was only a small part of the film, it was unwatchable at times. "The boulder problem" is apparently a V7 in bouldering language, which makes it a 6c, something which I'm years away from doing. And that as part of a four hour climb.

I really enjoyed how didn't they shy away from the ethics of it and unique personality. It was refreshing no one tried to diagnose him as well. I hope he quits now and press his energy into his charity work, but I fully expect him to die climbing. 

Really inspiring as well, gonna start some proper training and do a 6b before the year is out!

Great that they've won the oscar for this.  I watched it the other day and it was so tense even knowing that he did it!

I keep looking at youtube on all of the interviews and everything they've done and it's crazy that they've all been doing the press junkets for months, especially with Alex's usual routine!