Stigweard

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson's WWI restoration film

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I always thought adding colour looks awful but that actually works. Very interested.

Makes me wonder if they could also restore some classic cinema to look better too

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

It's going to be broadcast on the BBC on Armistice Day (11th November)

Yeah I know, just felt like seeing it on a big screen

40 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Only one cinema is showing it near me, one screening, and it's at 6pm, which I can't get to. And in 2D only.

I'll wait for it on TV. It looks absolutely fascinating.

I mean, thats a good thing right. Surely you wouldn't want to see this tainted by a shit 3d conversion.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I mean, thats a good thing right. Surely you wouldn't want to see this tainted by a shit 3d conversion.

It's a film that's being heavily converted with artificial additions anyway (frame insertions, colour and sound), to bring it to life. Might as well go the whole way!

I figure seeing it in 3D would be more immersive. At the very least, an interesting gimmick before watching it "flat" on TV.

• Upvote 1

The 3d thing seems a bit odd and a gimmicky addition, don’t really know what the point of that is other than ‘because we can’

Will definitely watch this on BBC - the footage is just transformed by the restoration, something very eerie about it as you are programmed now to the b&w, wonky speed and silence - makes it far more hard hitting somehow.

I saw this last night. It's amazing how the old footage has been brought to life -- not just the people but the action. There are shots of mines going off lifting great domes of earth into the air, guns firing shells that shake the tiles from the roofs of nearby buildings, and tanks chugging across hellish wasteland squeezing the mud from their tracks. Even if it was all done today in cgi, I'm not sure they would be able to get so many of the little details right.

All the narration is made up of recordings of veterans and knitted together to tell a story that is funny, exciting and horrifying. It has tremendous emotional weight not just because you know it's real and the immersiveness of the colourisation, but because of the cleverness of the film making. Even if it was all in black and white it would still be brilliant. My only criticism is that it might be a bit too exciting. You don't get much of a feel for the the interminable attrition that WW1 was. 

Definitely worth seeing on the big screen if you can. I saw it in 2D so can't comment on how good the 3D is.

• Upvote 7

When I first saw a clip of this I thought it was a modern recreation over old voiceovers. Looks amazing.

The colorisation’s the relatively easy part. What makes it look so good is that they’ve taken that grimy old jittery footage running at high speed with frames missing and made it completely smooth by filling in the gaps and altering the speed digitally. That's what makes it look like it was filmed yesterday.

54 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Is this suitable for children to watch, eg if they’re learning about WWI at school, or is it too horrific?

It has a 15 rating, can read the breakdown on the BFI site (use the dropdown next to the Insight section, for the details why it has that rating).

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Is this suitable for children to watch, eg if they’re learning about WWI at school, or is it too horrific?

I read somewhere that a copy is going to be sent to every school in the country. I assume they mean secondary schools given the rating, but either way that's pretty cool.  

1 hour ago, papalazarou said:

I heard Fattakin that the bbc will be showing it not sure when but I would guess round Xmas

edit:  actually just read supposedly armistice day in November  

Figured that due to the BBC involvement. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Depends how old they are and how mature. I saw a girl being taken out of the screening by her parents because it was too much for her. She can't have been much more than ten though so she shouldn't have been in there anyway. It's a very affecting film because the beginning establishes that the soldiers are very real relatable people and then when things get nasty and you see a load of dead bodies in the mud it's hard to take. 

You have to watch it yourself and decide bearing in mind what you know about the intended audience. I would think that 13 is the bare minimum but then I wouldn't be surprised if some adults find it too much.

18 minutes ago, Gotters said:

just bumping this thread with a reminder that this is on BBC2 930pm this Sunday so you can hit record in your EPGs

Thank you

On 17/10/2018 at 20:35, Fierce Poodle said:

I think it would be OK, there are lots of images of dead bodies in various states of decomposition but no moving blood or gore. They don't dwell on the drowning in mud, and with the rats they don't mention the fact they made nests in the chest cavities of the dead.

But yeah emotionally it can be hard if they've not come across war documentaries or films much before. They do really emphasise how young these soliders were, so many were 15. Beggars belief.