Jump to content
Capwn

Sony to remove all trophy information tomorrow (Not really but what if they did?)

Recommended Posts

Imagine it. Gone. They are reworking PSN to allow you to change your name, allow crossplay etc but in the process they had to wipe all your trophy information. How would we react? What would happen?

 

Not sure how I'd feel because in a way I wish they trophies were exclusive to each generation of machine and it's a bit mad to think trophies will exist forever?

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6
  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it meant we could change our names, I'd be all for it. I've never given a flying fuck about trophies, achievements, and especially gamerscore. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like them in the sense that some have me do things I might not have thought to do in a have, but generally they're a waste. Don't miss them on the Switch at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the trophy system in the same way I do Facebook. I like going through old stuff when I'm bored but wouldn't miss it if it was gone and don't give two shits what anyone else has done.

 

I would like to change my name though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have The Problem and would be simultaneously sad and liberated if they went away. They're awesome as a little scrap book of things you've done on your adventures, but I've also wasted a lot of time collecting 100 of X etc.

 

They'll never go away because they're too perfect a marketing tool, reinforcing brand loyalty AND encouraging additional purchases in one fell swoop.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have four Platinums, two of which are for MGSV on PS3 and PS4. It seemed 'important' at the time.

I like Trophies/Achievements, I was never one for 'milking' a game, but since these came along I've gotten more out of games than any gen previous.

I'd miss them.

I quite like 'em.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be gutted. Every hard fought gold is a memory I keep, that I can also tie back to my real life memories.

 

The night my daughter was born I went home from the hospital by myself and got the platinum for Dark Souls. A few days later on the day I was picking them up from hospital and bringing them home for the first time, I got up early to finish off Child of Eden - landed 'The Purest Shining Light' trophy which felt very appropriate.

 

There's a 5 year gap in my trophy list for MGS4 because I was hospitalized midway through my platinum attempt and dropped it for half a decade.

 

All those moments would be lost in time, like tears in rain.

 

edit - by the way anyone who thinks sacrificing trophies for a name change is a good deal, you can do that already. Make a new account.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Darwock said:

 

 

The night my daughter was born I went home from the hospital by myself and got the platinum for Dark Souls. A few days later on the day I was picking them up from hospital ..

 

"Look love, you don't actually need me here do you. I mean I can't do anything, this is all on you. I've got a few things to do at home, and I'll pop back in a couple of days and pick you both up.

Text me when you've popped it out ok? Good luck!"

 

 

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Darwock said:

By the way anyone who thinks sacrificing trophies for a name change is a good deal, you can do that already. Make a new account.

 

Sacrificing a little more than just trophies for that, if you have any digital purchases they're tied to the account. You'd lose all the PS Plus games too unless you kept the sub up.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the 360 days gamerscore meant a fair bit to me, I remember the day I 100% Skyrim, good times. But when the XBO came out I'm not sure if it was more hidden than on the 360 but I just stopped caring, doesn't make the blindest bit of difference to me now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never got a Platinum, the bullshit you have to climb through is ridiculous. But I do get it for a game you really love, it's something to aim for. Persona 5 is a case in point. It's the first game I will platinum, I have about 20 sheets of printed objectives to make it, but it's still fun doing it, and it's an achievement. And the trophies are not ridiculous.

 

I'm loving Arkham Knight at the moment, so checked out the Platinum requirements. Fuck off. Not doing that. Because it's painful. It's stupid. Why would you do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vorgot said:

I've never got a Platinum, the bullshit you have to climb through is ridiculous. But I do get it for a game you really love, it's something to aim for. Persona 5 is a case in point. It's the first game I will platinum, I have about 20 sheets of printed objectives to make it, but it's still fun doing it, and it's an achievement. And the trophies are not ridiculous.

 

I'm loving Arkham Knight at the moment, so checked out the Platinum requirements. Fuck off. Not doing that.

 

For tell tale games, you get platinums, basically,  for completing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darwock said:

edit - by the way anyone who thinks sacrificing trophies for a name change is a good deal, you can do that already. Make a new account.

 

And how would I transfer the 100 odd digital games over?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

 

I'm loving Arkham Knight at the moment, so checked out the Platinum requirements. Fuck off. Not doing that. Because it's painful. It's stupid. Why would you do this?

 

I platinumed Arkham Knight and loved every minute of it. :D

 

11224608_10153440550375803_5438418146926

 

Yeah boi etc. It does depend on the game though. I love all the Uncharteds but I'll never platinum any of them though - playing on crushing would just make me hate the games.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't give a fuck. They've always been a badly implemented ripoff of Xbox achievements which was having its high point on 360 where you'd get an achievement pop, hit the guide button, there you go. Know what you've done, nice list right there in front of you, simple, easy and brilliant. When I get one on Vita, if they sound interesting or otherwise opaquely named, I want to know what they are but to find out is a complete pain in the arse. 

 

How they're presented on Xbox One and PS4 is fortunately better than that and they're about comparable with respect to accessibility, but I still think it's noticeably worse than it used to be in the glory days so I care about them a lot less. Everything just seems over-engineered for the sake of it, making what was once a little joyful nicety generate little more than a shrug of the shoulders now. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steam doesn't make a noise when you earn an achievement.  Therefore, they are dead to me.

 

Although, some on Steam clearly do care.  Look at this shit.

 

1947138834_Achievementspam.jpg.02b948a19c7b0bee00f21fbb4efbf5c0.jpg

 

2,880 Achivements!  All piss easy to get apparently, and that's pretty much the whole reason for the game's existence.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

 

I platinumed Arkham Knight and loved every minute of it. :D

 

 

 

Oh wow, snap. That is my ONE and ONLY platinum. It kind of made that game extra special to me. I went through some serious pain to get through it, was a bit like having a  baby tattoo in a way. Worth it in the end, it is a reminder of the pain I went through.

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stefcha said:

Couldn't give a fuck. They've always been a badly implemented ripoff of Xbox achievements which was having its high point on 360 where you'd get an achievement pop, hit the guide button, there you go. Know what you've done, nice list right there in front of you, simple, easy and brilliant. When I get one on Vita, if they sound interesting or otherwise opaquely named, I want to know what they are but to find out is a complete pain in the arse. 

 

How they're presented on Xbox One and PS4 is fortunately better than that and they're about comparable with respect to accessibility, but I still think it's noticeably worse than it used to be in the glory days so I care about them a lot less. Everything just seems over-engineered for the sake of it, making what was once a little joyful nicety generate little more than a shrug of the shoulders now. 

 

I must admit to rather liking the sound of the rare (<10% of gamers)  achievement on XB - that diamond sharp elongated trill sound, particularly when it's unexpected (like a couple of secret ones have been on Divinity OS2).  

 

Achievements and trophies provide too much data to developers / publishers for them to be dropped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shrug and move on, personally. Achievements and Trophies are a system with the potential to gently usher players towards new discoveries, but usually squandered by developers who enjoy slapping in a bunch of absurdly trite joy-and-life sapping activities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On one hand, on games that I've enjoyed completing and want to keep playing, they can be nice guidelines of what can be done and give you a sense of further progress. I quite often look through the trophy list midway through a game to see what's there and whether it's the sort of thing I'll fancy doing.

 

On the other hand, once I stop playing a game they could disappear forever and it wouldn't matter at all. I know I don't care what trophies other people have got, and that no one cares what I've got. In particular, the gamer level/gamer score thing is a complete irrelevance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Main reason I dislike trophies is the way save backups are so locked down as a result. You can't just move saves between account or consoles very easily, because then people would be able to game the leaderboards and that would upset some people with compulsive disorders presumably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.