IGNORED

Microsoft Rewards

stefcha

Just now, ScouserInExile said:

If anyone is after a couple of really easy achievements, the new to GP Taiko drum master game seems to throw them at you early on. When you first start the game (like before you've got to the main menu the first time) it shows you the buttons, you have no choice but to cycle through this and you get an achievement for this. Then there's a second "tutorial" bit that, again, you have no choice but to cycle through. Another achievement for that. I think someone said just playing for the first time gets you a handful as well.

You get one for the first song you complete in every category, also some for customisation and changing the drum sounds etc. Great for your daily 50 points. 

100 point Weekly Treasure bonus is up

23 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

You get one for the first song you complete in every category, also some for customisation and changing the drum sounds etc. Great for your daily 50 points. 

I've just done the first song in Anime and got 4 achievements for it. So starting from fresh and getting as far as the first track has given me 6 achievements already. Think I might rinse it for the daily 50, then see if my kids want to play it...

On 14/02/2022 at 10:21, Mr Do 71 said:

You also get achievements for customising your character etc…, and for watching the credits until the end.

Also on the song select screen press Y to select a random song, then just press B when it goes to the difficulty screen. Repeat 10 times.

24 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Just had a thought........what’s stopping you creating another Microsoft Rewards account, earning the daily points on that account too and then gifting 5000 points to yourself each month? Any limit on doing that?

The risk is that at some point they catch on and permanently ban both accounts from the rewards scheme. People have been banned from trying to game it before.

23 minutes ago, Majora said:

The risk is that at some point they catch on and permanently ban both accounts from the rewards scheme. People have been banned from trying to game it before.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. How do they actually enforce that though?

For example, say there are 4 people in a household all earning points on their own accounts and legitimately sharing them. How would they possibly be able to distinguish that from 1 person with 4 separate accounts taking the piss? Lol.

To be honest I already feel like I’m robbing them blind, so won’t be risking it. Paid £1 for Gamepass first month......and then it appears I’ll be either able to legitimately get Gamepass Ultimate for free every month or at the very least have a £5 gift card to spend each month, if i choose not to save my points up.

On the other hand I’m signed up to PS+ for the next 2 years and paying out £50-£60 for every game on PS5. Recently bought Horizon, GT7, Uncharted 4 + LL and also got Elden Ring = £162. Makes me wonder....... If they’re selling the S at a loss, which supposedly they are and I have no intention of buying any Xbox games, and I’m not having to subscribe to any services.......and they’re constantly giving me free money off vouchers (that I can then even spend on PS5 games).......how are Microsoft actually making any money?

3 hours ago, CrichStand said:

For example, say there are 4 people in a household all earning points on their own accounts and legitimately sharing them. How would they possibly be able to distinguish that from 1 person with 4 separate accounts taking the piss? Lol.

For a start, three genuine people in a household wouldn't be participating in a reward scheme and routinely giving 15k a month to one single account. 

"Lol"

32 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

For a start, three genuine people in a household wouldn't be participating in a reward scheme and routinely giving 15k a month to one single account. 

"Lol"

Why not? It's possible. Maybe Mum and Dad might want to give 5000pts to their kids each month. Maybe the kids want to pool the points to get Gamepass etc. Nothing wrong with that if the rules are each person can legitimately gift 5000pts a month. 

My point was......how do Microsoft distinguish between that and someone having say 2 accounts? It seems like there are a lot of grey areas that would be difficult to control and police.

Also, how do Microsoft make money with all this? And how are they planning on making money through the Xbox, as everyone will just end up doing what others and now myself are doing.. Buy a Series S and get Gamepass Ultinate for free each month by using Microsoft Rewards. How sustainable is that long-term?

8 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Why not? It's possible. Maybe Mum and Dad might want to give 5000pts to their kids each month. Maybe the kids want to pool the points to get Gamepass etc. Nothing wrong with that if the rules are each person can legitimately gift 5000pts a month

What you've described is just gaming the system. Gifts aren't for increasing the earning potential of a a single account, they're for, well, gifting. Once it's a monthly effort it stops being a gift.

In general though, the entire thing is at Microsoft's discretion. If they say you're not participating in the spirit, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. 

11 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Also, how do Microsoft make money with all this? And how are they planning on making money through the Xbox, as everyone will just end up doing what others and now myself are doing.. Buy a Series S and get Gamepass Ultinate for free each month by using Microsoft Rewards. How sustainable is that long-term?

It keeps people in the Microsoft ecosystem, where some percentage of players will continue to spend actual money on games and hardware. Somebody will be crunching the numbers on this to determine if the line goes up or down in the long term. I'd hazard a guess the number of people not spending any money at all is relatively low. 

Also - don't look at it too closely or they might take it away! 😛

Well I guess it has to make money somehow, in a way that beats out the old model of selling boat loads of games, else they wouldn't be doing it!

Definitely don't want them to take it away! Combine the Rewards scheme with Gamepass and it's totally nuts. Still can't get over how crackers it actually is. Paid £1 and I've played the fuck out of 17 games, finished 5 of them......all whilst racking up points that means next month i'll pay absolutely nowt to play even more. Proper awesome! 

13 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Just had a thought........what’s stopping you creating another Microsoft Rewards account, earning the daily points on that account too and then gifting 5000 points to yourself each month? Any limit on doing that?

You can actually easily switch regions on the rewards page and find that other regions will have different daily quizzes and polls, all of which get added to your same account of course. As to whether MS would eventually catch on and punish you in some way is another story though. 

Had a quick read of the terms and conditions.......

You can only receive a maximum of 1000/5000pts per month (depending on your level), from other accounts. So that sorts that out.

There is a limit of 6 accounts per household. You are pointed towards setting up a family account if that’s how you want to roll, which I guess would be easier to check if it’s legit.

The amount of points you can earn, as well as the rewards you can earn, can be restricted for a set period of time.

Seeing this week needs three achievements I went straight to the drum game.  Pressed Y on the song select then B on the difficulty as described earlier and after 10 times I got the achievement.  Then I played a song from another category and got an achievement (didnt play the game, just put he pad down and waited for the song to end).  Did the same on another category and got another achievement.  Then got another achievement for playing a song from every difficulty then another for something else.  In a week when you need to find three achievements this game throws them out like yesterday's Jam.

Alternatively instead of not playing a game you could try Omno, it hands out achievements quite regularly meaning you will get 3 pretty quickly (certianly within a week) and you get to experience a lovely game.

Or try kill it with fire which is a bit more indie fun but similarly is quite generous

Embr is great to play if you have kids - and even if you don't I just like playing it with my son as it involves alot of shouting as the house burns down. It also hands out achievements regularly.

There are loads of great games to play and you only need to get 3 achievements over the course of a week so no need to grind them - you also get 50 reward points a day if you do an achievement a day so it makes sense to do the three over several days in the week so you get double bubble (the weekly reward plus the daily).

Taiko no Tatsujin is a great game though. Also not a criticism just pointing out to people that the rewards can be a great discoverability tool to help you sift through gamepass instead of grinding the points :D

Just as a heads-up for anyone enrolled in the "play a PC game with friends" thing for +100 points each day: Forza Horizon 5 is very good for this. You don't have to do any matchmaking or anything - because the whole game is persistently online, it pops for just driving around the overworld. The time it takes seems to vary but it's never more than a couple of minutes. 

You do have to be in the car though. If you just sit on the menus you will get the +10 for "play a PC game" but not the +100 for "...with friends". Minimising the game also takes you to the pause screen. 

Human Fall Flat is the easiest way yo get your points - set up a lobby or join a game (often you'll get kicked though). Minimise it and wait. Not much fun but a much smaller install if you're short of space. I'm still getting mine from Windjammers 2 but the online base us shrinking fast. Not sure if you need to turn off crossplay but I tend to.

On 17/02/2022 at 14:26, dumpster said:

Yes, I'm going on holiday tomorrow detective!

My last trip cost me a 12 week streak, I was livid.

If i’m away I’ll take a controller and use remote play to access the rewards app and gamepass to play a few games that give easy achievements on my phone. ☺️

18 hours ago, Dan said:

If i’m away I’ll take a controller and use remote play to access the rewards app and gamepass to play a few games that give easy achievements on my phone. ☺️

Does that involve leaving your console on, or can you remotely switch it on?

3 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Does that involve leaving your console on, or can you remotely switch it on?

Assuming it behaves itself remote play turns the Xbox on by itself.

In fact it does some kind of odd thing where it connects to the console but the machine itself doesn’t appear to be on (the light doesn’t come on).

May depend on whether you have the Xbox in instant on mode however and also much like most of Microsoft’s online services it can be a bit flakey…