IGNORED

Microsoft Rewards

stefcha

Just gonna say, that's a pretty damning indictment of history teaching in this country. There were a lot of countries I wasn't sure of, but Ireland being neutral is pretty famous - having a lot to do with how England had treated Ireland prior to and following its secession. Indeed, it's a pretty key insight into the relationship between our countries and the situation in Northern Ireland. It's something I just assumed everyone in the UK would know! 

(I hope everyone at least got Switzerland and Sweden, as they were also pretty [in]famously neutral countries)

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

Just gonna say, that's a pretty damning indictment of history teaching in this country. There were a lot of countries I wasn't sure of, but Ireland being neutral is pretty famous - having a lot to do with how England had treated Ireland prior to and following its secession. Indeed, it's a pretty key insight into the relationship between our countries and the situation in Northern Ireland. It's something I just assumed everyone in the UK would know! 

(I hope everyone at least got Switzerland and Sweden, as they were also pretty [in]famously neutral countries)

Going way OT but I’ve long lamented the history education I had (up to O level in 1986). It seemed utterly preoccupied with what happened where and especially when, so lots of dates of battles to learn aka arbitrary facts that were easy to look up even in those analogue encyclopaedia days, and virtually no examination of why. I mean part of my O level syllabus was Hitler’s rise to power which was all about the sequence and timing of specific events like the Beer Hall Putsch and the Night of the Long Knives, but absolutely nothing on why the ordinary Germans went along with it. You know, the kind of insight that might have come in handy over the last decade or so. We never spent any time learning about the countries that didn’t participate in the big wars, because by definition they weren’t involved in any notable battles.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Going way OT but I’ve long lamented the history education I had (up to O level in 1986). It seemed utterly preoccupied with what happened where and especially when, so lots of dates of battles to learn aka arbitrary facts that were easy to look up even in those analogue encyclopaedia days, and virtually no examination of why. I mean part of my O level syllabus was Hitler’s rise to power which was all about the sequence and timing of specific events like the Beer Hall Putsch and the Night of the Long Knives, but absolutely nothing on why the ordinary Germans went along with it. You know, the kind of insight that might have come in handy over the last decade or so. We never spent any time learning about the countries that didn’t participate in the big wars, because by definition they weren’t involved in any notable battles.

That had definitely changed by the time I did my GCSEs in 1995 - I vividly remember my history teacher spending a lot of time examining the reliability of sources and the inherent biases of primary and secondary material when teaching the rise of the Nazis in Year 10.

Which fired my interest enough to end up with a degree in the subject - which climaxed in final year module that basically postulated there can be no such thing as history largely for the above reasons (and challenged us to write a 24 hour timed assessment to refute the point). 

Ah, the study of the study of history, aka. historiography, a great subject. Formed only a small part of my degree — ancient, not modern; I didn't study post-600CE history beyond Year 8 — and most students didn't seem to enjoy it, but I found it fascinating.

10 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Ah, the study of the study of history, aka. historiography, a great subject. Formed only a small part of my degree — ancient, not modern; I didn't study post-600CE history beyond Year 8 — and most students didn't seem to enjoy it, but I found it fascinating.

Hehe yeah to be honest rethinking history as the module was called in my degree was probably my least favourite part of my course but was still intriguing.

My period was early modern so skewing later than you (fall of the Western Empire to the end of the Carolingens) but it was a generic module for any history degree at Sheffield so my wife who didn’t study anything later then the 20th century for her degree also sat it. 

They've done that specific challenge at least three times, and the last one was only a couple of months ago. It's the most boring thing ever. Walk in one direction, turn around, walk in the opposite direction, repeat.

I like the way the Rewards scheme can get you trying out games you'd otherwise not have looked at, but bringing the same tedious challenges back time and again really isn't a worthwhile use of people's time.

The This or That was complete bullshit. I got Lithuania wrong despite Lithuania being invaded three fucking times during the course of the war, fighting several separate wars of liberation and ultimately becoming a Soviet Republic off the back of it. They were involved in the fighting before Britain was.

But apparently because the Lithuanian government claimed neutrality for a few weeks before the Nazis took over a large chunk of the place they were neutral. Misplaced optimism is not neutrality.

By this token the USA and USSR were both neutral countries. 

It says more about the History education of whoever read the Wikipedia article on Neutral countries and copy-pasted the list into excel than anyone here.

30 minutes ago, cultofweaver said:

The This or That was complete bullshit. I got Lithuania wrong despite Lithuania being invaded three fucking times during the course of the war, fighting several separate wars of liberation and ultimately becoming a Soviet Republic off the back of it. They were involved in the fighting before Britain was.

But apparently because the Lithuanian government claimed neutrality for a few weeks before the Nazis took over a large chunk of the place they were neutral. Misplaced optimism is not neutrality.

By this token the USA and USSR were both neutral countries. 

It says more about the History education of whoever read the Wikipedia article on Neutral countries and copy-pasted the list into excel than anyone here.

Totally this.  I got Lithuania wrong for exactly the same reasons, so then looked up the answers on here for the rest.

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Travelling 3km in The Long Dark for 75 points is absolutely not worth it as you walk at around 2cm per week. 

I used the elastic band trick for this.

Plug in your controller via USB so it doesn't time out and then put two elastic bands around the analogue sticks. You can then adjust them so that you end up circle-strafing and can then just leave it running for 10-15 minutes or so depending on how you've set it up.

49 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

I used the elastic band trick for this.

Plug in your controller via USB so it doesn't time out and then put two elastic bands around the analogue sticks. You can then adjust them so that you end up circle-strafing and can then just leave it running for 10-15 minutes or so depending on how you've set it up.

I'd much rather they did something interesting than having to resort to elastic bands to grind bullshit tasks.

I wonder if the game specific tasks are sponsored? Or they are trying to get them all sponsored but can't secure what they'd like so going back to old stuff, to not conceded their position?

also if you already did that challenge before do yuo have to do it again to get the points?

THat is the one monthly I haven't done but I have always fancied trying The LOng Dark so I migth be doing it anyway. It does encourage me to try new games and explore the gamepass a bit more than I would have done.

Not sure about the Zoo Tycoon one though <_<

On 17/01/2022 at 10:05, xtremeboat said:

None of the quizzes have loaded for me over the last 2 weeks with adblocker off. Started using a fresh verison of Edge with no extensions, same issue

After being flakey for about a week, everything now works again

3 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Am I doing something wrong, but are both of the Weekly Quest games not on Cloud?

Nope, they need to be installed.

On the flip side, I did give Mass Effect a quick go and ended up playing the entire first mission. The level design and gameplay is showing its age, but it was still fun. 

OT: Should I play ME 1 and 2 or just skip to 3? I never played them back in the day.

Personally I'd play 1 and 2 but skip 3. Wish I'd done that when I played through the remasters last year - I had a blast finishing 1, enjoyed my time in 2, but completely ran out of steam in 3 which ended up sapping my enjoyment of the whole trilogy.

2 is probably the most widely liked of the trilogy; 1 is far more trad-RPG, and is my favourite by a country mile. 3 is a weirdly bloated third-person shooter with the occasional branching conversation.

Even ignoring qualitative differences, 1 is about 2/3rds the length of 2, which is 1/2 the length of 3, so you can blast through the first two games a lot faster! 

For the rainbow six extraction task:

Activate the task in the rewards app on xbox

Play extraction on cloud (don't want to waste time downloading this crap)

Click through all the guff.

When you get to the VR training, ignore the information you are given and go straight through the door in front of you. Find the first enemy and smash his head with melee attack (right stick click) at least 3 times (I just kept smashing his skull until the achievement popped).

Wait for the achievement ping

Exit the game and never play it again.

easy 250 points for about 30 seconds effort.

9 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

When you get to the VR training, ignore the information you are given and go straight through the door in front of you. Find the first enemy and smash his head with melee attack (right stick click) at least 3 times (I just kept smashing his skull until the achievement popped).

Agree with all of this except I pressed the B button to lay prone & shot the sucker. 

Same result & the game will never be going near my Xbox again, until the next time MS offer reward points. for playing it!!!!

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

You need a Ubisoft account to play it, apparently. Nope!

No, i think you can just cancel the sign in option and still play (unless my ubi account is automatically used because it is linked to my xbox?)

2 hours ago, BeeJay said:

No, i think you can just cancel the sign in option and still play (unless my ubi account is automatically used because it is linked to my xbox?)

I tried that but it just gave me an error code and wouldn’t let me continue.

On 22/01/2022 at 13:43, BeeJay said:

Cloud play is great for these. I can't play fps, so not having to download gigs of something that I'll then almost immediately delete is a massive plus 

On 22/01/2022 at 13:43, BeeJay said:

Thanks. I had a long wait for my achievement to trigger so I was worried I'd have to keep playing that shite. And bloody hell, the menus are poor. Took me a mo too long to get through the guff too.