Microsoft Rewards

stefcha

What,s the best thing to spend your reward points on, anything other than the £5 Xbox credit doesn't seem worth it as the points price of hat is waaaay lower than anything else. But just checking there's no hidden gems I've not noticed.

I spend it to extend my Game Pass Ultimate. Although the best way to do that is to buy 3 months of Gold for 15k points which then converts to 50 days of GPU if you are currently subbed. (As opposed to getting the month of GPU reward which is 12k for 31 days).

I think that’s technically the best return as 3. months of Gold at rrp is 20 quid. (Obviously you’d never actually buy Gold that way with cash)

That’s good to know, I’m just going to keep mine and then buy a load of store credit when the time is right, which is hopefully when the official headset comes back into stock. 

18 minutes ago, Stanley said:

How long can you keep your points for? I have 20,000+ now but I thought I’d just keep building them up until I want to buy something. 

Yeah as far as I can see they just build up and up. The only time there’s any kind of expirey date on them is when you convert them into store credit and then it’s 90 days. 

59 minutes ago, Stanley said:

How long can you keep your points for? I have 20,000+ now but I thought I’d just keep building them up until I want to buy something. 

Currently have 70k. Going to build it up. 

Redeemed 50k a few months back and wish I didn't. 

My plan is just to keep building on the 70k and buy any big titles that won't come to gamepass. Although I'm not preordering anything as you never know, those big games sometimes come to gamepass day one. 

I'm looking at the Tokyo Olympics game which is out next month and is only £35. 

Edit - Sorry, misread. The points dont go anywhere. Only caveat is if you redeem points towards a code you have 90 days to spend that gift cash. 

23 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I guess I should spend that £8 they gave me at Easter or that might disappear soon? 

They didn't deem me worthy of a gift so I've not got a clue if it'll expire but I do know that if you've have got a balance on your account that's from redeeming points then it'll show an expiry date for those monies. Perhaps take a look at your balance and see if it's got an expiry date? If not I'd say you're likely fine. Oh and if you do have credit that does expire (eg from cashing points in) then they even mail you a reminder about it a good month beforehand (they sent me the attached on the 17/02) too which I'd say is jolly decent of them:

487242884_MSreminder.thumb.jpg.87a31e388dd41f683a4020d636ce5f3b.jpg

:).

I'm at the stage (forget when it started, but I'm on a 25 week streak) that Game Pass literally pays for itself (4 weeks x 2500 pts, GP is ~10k/mo) by doing the weekly sets. That's not what I'll spending it on, I'm back to nearly 70k after blowing it on the XSX, but it's good to know I could. That can't be a coincidence. I reckon with that kind of value lock-in, you'll probably buy other stuff, like $40 in the sale for 4000 points. Unfortunately, I only see Witcher 3 GOTY for $10, not much interest in the rest.

I haven't kept track of how much completion of all the separate GP quests gets you. I usually get the 1k done but not most of the specific gaming ones, like "Kill X mobs in Y game". But the Rewards quests, once you hit a certain streak, are absolutely worth your effort if the Xbox is your primary console.

I know we all know this but I was primarily just work-related Binging for so long before doing the weekly sets on the Xbox itself.

Finished a couple more games to contribute to the 10000 challenge.

Little Acre

Not really my sort of game so found a quick and easy guide to go through it for achievements. Finished it with a new appreciation for it though, is a clear labour of love for the creators.

What Remains of Edith Finch

What a powerhouse of a game, don’t think the title of ‘walking simulator’ does it justice. Each ‘level’ was so unique to the others that it was completely engaging all the way through. Lewis’ story in particular was very moving. Going through this was an experience for sure.

Overall that’s quite a few games that I’ve really enjoyed playing during this challenge, will try and squeeze in Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice before Monday then call it a day at around 8500 points.

I have managed about 7.5k and I think I am pretty much done now.  Maxed out Doom 64, Sea of Solitude, Tell Me Why (Which I really enjoyed), Genesis Noir and most of The Touryst.

3 minutes ago, Waggo said:

I have managed about 7.5k and I think I am pretty much done now.  Maxed out Doom 64, Sea of Solitude, Tell Me Why (Which I really enjoyed), Genesis Noir and most of The Touryst.

Other than Tell Me Why that’s pretty much the same list as what we’ve gone through.

1 minute ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Other than Tell Me Why that’s pretty much the same list as what we’ve gone through.

Well if you have about 6 hours to spare Tell Me Why will net you an extra 1,500 points.  There are 3 chapters each worth 500 points and taking around 2 hours to finish.  It is more of an interactive story than a game to be honest, but I found it interesting enough.

I’ve already gone through it during the 10k event at the start of the year. 

Was another interesting one that tackled a whole different issue that you wouldn’t expect to see in a game.

9 hours ago, Corranga said:

What to spend points on and how long do they last etc...

I just cashed mine in, saving since Feb 19 I think...

C6B3A094-3B16-4F1F-82D0-2A9D6F83DED0.jpeg

I'm aiming for as much as possible off a Series S. I can't see me getting one for another 12 months, so I'm hoping for somewhere around £200 off. 

Have 4000 points from the 10k points thing. I've only played stuff I wanted to, so the closest to "work" it's been is looking at a guide for the missable ones. Glad I did for DOTT, because there's a couple of annoying ones - leave the speaker knocked over and the music on for the whole game and not skipping cutscenes, which I might have done for the early ones I've seen a lot. 

9 hours ago, Corranga said:

What to spend points on and how long do they last etc...

I just cashed mine in, saving since Feb 19 I think...

C6B3A094-3B16-4F1F-82D0-2A9D6F83DED0.jpeg

Good man :).

I'm a big fan of MS rewards. It's crazy generous (I'm averaging just over 600 points a day) and unlike many rewards schemes (Nectar, Clubcard etc) you don't have to spend a penny anywhere / change your shopping habits to earn the points!

I find it pretty bonkers when people come onto this thread posting stuff along the lines of "yeah wow, 18p" and "I value my time far more highly than that, would you work for £1 an hour" etc etc as they seem to be missing the point. No one's ever said it's a get rich quick scheme or anything like that (I have wondered if said naysayers have pensions or savings accounts?!) but done daily and with the streaks kept going then I'd say it's totally worth a few min's a day of my time. 

The storage card you've bought is a great example of rewards points paying off handsomely on a product that I think for many sits a bit awkwardly. It's something that would be genuinely useful for most X/S owners, but the combination of a rather salty £220 price tag, the likelihood of a price drop and it being something that whilst useful you don't actually have to have, I'm sure can make the thought of purchasing one a bit of a dilemma. Get one FOC in exchange for some points though? Given that option I be surprised if any stayed on the fence :).    

Fmv games are good for racking up the points. I think for something like The Complex you could just put it on then go away and do something else for a couple of hours and get most of the achievements (but you shouldn't, it's decent). 

19 hours ago, deerokus said:

Fmv games are good for racking up the points. I think for something like The Complex you could just put it on then go away and do something else for a couple of hours and get most of the achievements (but you shouldn't, it's decent). 

Is that on Game Pass? 

Hey I can't judge you. After reading your post I went to look for it and apparently I'd already done it. No recollection at all. 

For the record it was promoting environmental awareness and sustainability. 

3 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Missed out on doing daily set on Friday. 130 day streak gone. 

I deliberately break my streaks once they start getting high. There are no additional incentives for the really long streaks, I believe they always work out at x/day, so it's arguably better to keep grinding and then breaking short streaks rather than miss one day in a long streak and get zip.

The weekly streaks on the xbox itself are a different kettle of fish though.  It's worth keeping that streak going as long as possible as the 10 weeks = 2500pts beats the individual rewards on the way up to 10 weeks.

Yeah, streaks always work out at 15 points per day. However, I'm not sold on the logic of deliberately breaking the streak - you can do so for a minimum loss of 25 points, but if the intention is to protect against eventual accidental loss, then when that loss does occur you're adding however many 25-point penalties you've deliberately racked up to that final loss. 

I've given this too much thought.

Thankfully, the Xbox one is much easier to keep going, because you can forget for a few days without any penalty.

Just fired up the rewards app and there are points galore to be had for the month of June :).

There's a gears 5 punch card giving 500pts, a summer special Olympics card giving 1000 and then a June monthly bonus with 2000 up for grabs. Couple those with the regular weekly and monthy quests, the weekly set (I'm due 2500 at the end of next week for week streak no90, saaaaaaad!!) the dailies etc and I'm sure most will easily get their GP ultimate covered / earn enough for a small free game or just add a good chunk to their tally that they're perhaps saving to put towards a future hardware purchase :).

Same for me with the Olympics punch card. Tried all morning to activate now does after getting 3 achievements so far today and unable to click to complete those. 

Try again tomorrow.