Microsoft Rewards

stefcha

On 07/07/2022 at 17:36, earlymodernsteve said:

But, but, Vyse is your avatar... 😜 

On 07/07/2022 at 19:55, earlymodernsteve said:

Love me some Skies - just confused at the disconnect between the avatar and not being a fan of the JRPG genre!

Ha, I completely get where you're coming from and it's made me question it too :) It was a bit of a long thought process (hence the spoiler box to keep things tidy) but I'm pretty sure that your question has led me to the answer as to my "hmmm" re JRPGs. 

Spoiler

So, my introduction to RPGs (excluding C64 text adventures if they even could be included!!) was on a US SNES with Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Terranigma (all still in the loft, one day again eh!) etc. It didn’t matter to me if they were ARPG or JRPG, I just really enjoyed them. From the SNES I went to a J Saturn (so specifically avoided JRPGs due to the language barrier) and a US N64. The Saturn was used mainly for it’s arcade conversion the 2D shooters it excelled at, and on the N64 I got quite wrapped up in the amazing 3D game worlds that they seemed to have to have got so right. With N64 RPGs I guess I took the Zelda OOT and then Majoras Mask as being what RPGs had evolved into and they were brilliant. In the background though (well the background to me that is, it was right at the forefront for the most) there was the PS1 which when now looking back was playing host to loads of quality RPGs, many of which I’d have likely loved but I didn't get one till very late on in it's life, and even then didn't pay it much attention (Saturn fan boy!).

Fast forward to the release of the hugely anticipated (by me and eight or nine others!) Dreamcast and I'm back in import gaming heaven!! After the N64, the colours were incredible on my (mega at the time) Toshiba 36” 60HZ CRT, the fogging was gone and amazingly close to arcade, superbly well playing games like Samba De Amigo, Powerstone(s), Virtual Cop / Tennis, HOTD, Crazy Taxi and Worms Armageddon were getting hammered pretty much every night by myself and my 3 mates that lodged with me and a huge amount of fun was had!!

So, what’s all that waffle got to do with me liking SOA so much that I’ve got Vyse as my avatar and me not liking JRPGS that much now? Well for SOA a big part of it certainly comes from my happy memories of DC gaming. I loved mine and its games brought myself and my friends so many good times. SOA itself more specifically though? Well I also had a DC up in my bedroom and it was on that one that I started playing SOA. My GF of the time who wasn’t into gaming (even less so the rowdy DC living room sessions) took a liking to SOA to the point of her banning me from playing it unless she was there. I was fine with that as it was waaaay better than watching a soap with her. We were both pretty busy people so it was probably took 18 months to get through it (during which no other RPGs even got looked at) and we were both a bit gutted when it was over! It’d had the same DC blue skies energy and vibrance of the downstairs DC games whilst also being a bloody great (IMO) RPG and the GF had loved it too. So there we go. Good times and a great game given the blessing by my game loathing GF = very fond memory and high opinion of a game formed = Vyse, you're hired!

Re me finding more recent JRPGs that I’ve tried a bit dull / tiresome, your questioning of my Vyse avatar / disconnect with the JRPG genre (well spotted and I'm glad you did question it) has made me give it quite a bit of thought as it’s frustrated me a few times now. I’m pretty sure it’s not the games doing something that’s putting me off them (though the beginning of Edge of Eternity is terrible!) but more by me having a different idea as to what I now enjoy in a game, and it’s most likely that J (but more specifically turn based) RPGs just aren’t my thing anymore. Yes the SNES games were amazing and I’d be the first to admit that I have an exceptional fond memories of SOA some of which go beyond the game itself, but I think that by skipping the PS1 and it’s superb catalogue of JRPGs and that of the PS2 (it killed the DC off God damn it, though that said it did give us Gradius 5!) too I just sort of lost touch with the genre. The gaming landscape has also changed a lot too, with tech that allows for amazing things like the Witcher, Souls, BOTW, Skyrim, Elden Ring etc to exist, giving us huge open world like action based RPGs which I now find far more engaging.

I’m genuinely glad that you asked as it’s made me stop and consider my thoughts on the genre and I think I can say that Vyse’s position is now safer than ever :).

46 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Everything worked for me this morning.

Hmm.  Still borked for me on both my laptop & phone, so not sure what is going on there.

It let me do the activities fine & I got the acheivement points no problem.  Just seems to be the searches.🤔

@womble9 thanks for sharing that :) Really enjoyed that personal story and totally get where you're coming from. Skies is a real outlier in the Dreamcast lineup tbf. Just added a bunch of DC games to my Retroid Pocket 2+ and noticed how few JRPGs there were. Edge of Eternity can't hold a candle to it in terms of charm or character. It is better than the tutorial makes it seem but really aimed at genre fans.

18 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

@womble9 thanks for sharing that :) Really enjoyed that personal story and totally get where you're coming from. Skies is a real outlier in the Dreamcast lineup tbf. Just added a bunch of DC games to my Retroid Pocket 2+ and noticed how few JRPGs there were. Edge of Eternity can't hold a candle to it in terms of charm or character. It is better than the tutorial makes it seem but really aimed at genre fans.

Oh you're most welcome!

I saw your post on Thursday and straight away thought that's bloody good point, what's going on!?! So I sat down and gave it some thought (currently on crutches so have plenty of sit and think time!!) over a couple of days. Bit by bit it all fell into place and I actually felt pretty good about it as it'd kind of irked me for a while!! 

As I wrote, read, edited and re wrote my reply other things popped into my mind and it just became clearer and clearer. Oh and upon seeing my reply was so flipping long I very nearly PM'd it to you but I then figured if I popped in spoilers then at least others could take a look at it too.

I was a top spot that you made there and I'm really glad you shared your thoughts :).

3 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

@womble9 glad you figured stuff out - sorry about the crutches :( Sounds like the perfect excuse to get back into JRPGs... I'd recommend Dragon Quest XI or Yakuza Dragon over Edge of Eternity though 😜

Thanks for the recommendations :).

I've taken a look at and quite fancied playing DQ for some time now so you've given me the gentle nudge that was needed. Downloading!

I would also try out Yakuza Dragon but only 2-3 weeks ago I grabbed Yakuza 0 (you can thank me for it coming back to Gamepass!) when it was on sale. I know the combat is turn based in Dragon (and I think I prefer action these days) but more importantly would playing it before 0 (and then perhaps the others) spoil anything for me? 

If you are going to play both, then absolutely start with 0.

I played 0, never played any others, then played Dragon. I would recommend not playing Dragon before 0.

4 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

I've been told not (it's still on my to play list) but maybe @Bennycan confirm. I'm intending to do a full Yakuza playthrough soon which is why I've not played it yet tbh.

I played LAD first and regretted it. Showed so much stuff from the main series as references, granted they weren't game changing but you have a whole new appreciation for them if you do the earlier games first. I only finished the lot a few months ago and it was 7 months of constant Yakuza so a lot to go through.

I don't know about anyone else but I wish the weekly Game Pass quests weren't all just play the game ones now. I liked it when they were little challenges like the monthly ones. That at least gives me incentive to play the games rather than boot them then quit at the title screen.

7 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

I think I'm going to let me streak bonus go. Going away for two weeks and I'm not taking a controller with me just to keep the 80 or so week streak up...

How about popping your profile onto a friends console and getting them to do it for you? Obvs you’d be able to do the same for them when the time comes :).

3 hours ago, James Lyon said:

I don't know about anyone else but I wish the weekly Game Pass quests weren't all just play the game ones now. I liked it when they were little challenges like the monthly ones. That at least gives me incentive to play the games rather than boot them then quit at the title screen.

Yeah, I only discovered the Sniper Elite series because of one if those challenges. Have had a lot of fun as a result.

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Let the streak go. Enjoy your holiday. Unless you're sitting on 89 weeks or something, you've lost little.

I know I'm going to feel like I've lost something I've really worked at, but like Sting told us all: De do do do de da da da.

3 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I know I'm going to feel like I've lost something I've really worked at, but like Sting told us all: De do do do de da da da.

And he’s a man who knows all about letting something build up for ages then letting it go.

19 minutes ago, Speech said:

You can now redeem points for Amazon gift cards.  That opens up a lot more options regarding what to spend them on.

Ohhhhh!

Edit: can't see them on the Xbox rewards dash. I assume they are on the main website?

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but anybody looking for easy achievements should rinse Townscaper.  

You can max out the full 1000 points in under 15 minutes should you desire, but I am limiting to 1 a day for quick daily achievement points.  

Streams beautifully on the cloud as well so no need to download.

4 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but anybody looking for easy achievements should rinse Townscaper.  

You can max out the full 1000 points in under 15 minutes should you desire, but I am limiting to 1 a day for quick daily achievement points.  

Streams beautifully on the cloud as well so no need to download.

One to keep in the pocket for the next weekly "get 3 achievements in a single game" quest then!

As an added bonus, Townscaper is an absolute delight, perfect for chilling out to for five/ten minutes breaks of, well, townscaping.

if I redeem points for a months Ultimate - or 1 months gold do I get a code or does it automagically apply it to my account?

(I know there are better ways to top up gamepass but there is a reason for me to do this)

@Clipper Emails you a code with a "click here to redeem" link in the email. 

Nothing wrong with it, as a means to top up your Gamepass. Every time I build up 15,000 points I cash them in for three months of Xbox Live Gold, which auto-converts at redemption to 50 days of Gamepass Ultimate (ie an effective rate of 300 points per day). 

You can average a fair bit more than 300 points per day without much effort if you're just diligent about remembering to claim them - so you can keep extending faster than you use it up. I'm currently fully paid up to the middle of 2024.

Eventually, if nothing changes, I'll reach a point where I won't be able to extend any further and will have to save some of the points up to spend on something else. 

4 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

@Clipper Emails you a code with a "click here to redeem" link in the email. 

Nothing wrong with it, as a means to top up your Gamepass. Every time I build up 15,000 points I cash them in for three months of Xbox Live Gold, which auto-converts at redemption to 50 days of Gamepass Ultimate (ie an effective rate of 300 points per day). 

You can average a fair bit more than 300 points per day without much effort if you're just diligent about remembering to claim them - so you can keep extending faster than you use it up. I'm currently fully paid up to the middle of 2024.

Eventually, if nothing changes, I'll reach a point where I won't be able to extend any further and will have to save some of the points up to spend on something else. 

perfect

My son and I both have gamepass so my plan is as follows :D

1) Once every 4 months purchase 3 months of live gold and 1 month of gamepass = 27000

2) Let my gamepass expire and then apply gold codes then apply the gamepass code

4 months of gamepass

Do that for both of us (as I can use codes on his account) - total cost of 54000 points every 4 months and I currently earn about 15k-20k a month so "free" gamepass for both of us.

The only problem is you may or may not see Xbox Live Gold as an available option. My sister doesn't have it, for example, so the available options are somewhat personalised. I think we found that the best she could get was three months of GPU for 35,000 points (without the intermediate Gold step and conversion) which works out at just under 400 points per day.