rllmuk
stefcha

Microsoft Rewards

Thanks for this! I just went and redeemed a load of points I apparently had for a couple of the Microsoft gift cards. Earning points from mobile searches is pretty great as that's, like, all my searches. I am sure they will keep this going for a long time, especially once everyone starts doing it. Hmm.

I know we say Bing is awful, and alternatives like DuckDuckGo, but I've never had them not find something. I only search on Google when I need to tap their location data to see when a place has its busy hours. I wouldn't use the app mind, it's awful.

I've got well over 100k points, it pays for a lot of games on sale or dlc. I don't know if this is US only, but I'm working through a quest at the moment. The eventual reward is 500 points, but a specific step (view the Points Crusader offer on the Xbox rewards App) is broken. Seems to be a common thing.

Oh, and if you're buying hardware and you don't see a deal anywhere else, get it via Microsoft. The rewards on an X are 50k points, which is basically a free game. Something like 28k for the S, etc.

Being all digital on Xbox I was pissed off when they said the Xbox rewards were being merged with MS rewards, as I was getting 10% back in credit on every game bought.

But I have to say, that since it changed over I seem to have made a shit load of points. I'm well into the £100's combined with the daily searches. Makes digital buying much more palatable.

40 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I know we say Bing is awful, and alternatives like DuckDuckGo, but I've never had them not find something. I only search on Google when I need to tap their location data to see when a place has its busy hours. I wouldn't use the app mind, it's awful.

You've mentioned it before and I've given it a good chance largely off the back of that... but I really do think it's crap and it rarely brings back exactly what I want whereas I know the same search in google will get something relevant first time. 

I've got well over 100k points, it pays for a lot of games on sale or dlc. I don't know if this is US only, but I'm working through a quest at the moment. The eventual reward is 500 points, but a specific step (view the Points Crusader offer on the Xbox rewards App) is broken. Seems to be a common thing.

Yeah, that's US only at the moment, but as you say it's a bit broken anyway. I know some people have got the xbox logins to work, others it's just not registering at all. Me included!

Oh, and if you're buying hardware and you don't see a deal anywhere else, get it via Microsoft. The rewards on an X are 50k points, which is basically a free game. Something like 28k for the S, etc.

Plus you can use any credit you earn to put towards any hardware purchase in the first place. They've occasionally had some decent bundle deals, that's partly how I managed to get my X so cheap direct from them. 

Something else occurred- unless you're desperate to buy something, save them up until the Xbox store reward goes on offer. It comes around quite often. And it's better to do that anyway, because the claimed credit on your account has an expiration of I think 90 days. 

Just now, stefcha said:

You've mentioned it before and I've given it a good chance largely off the back of that... but I really do think it's crap and it rarely brings back exactly what I want whereas I know the same search in google will get something relevant first time. 

I wonder if it's regional? DuckDuckGo is my default, I only use Bing now for my daily points. Or I only search for stuff that's easy for everyone to index. Worth a brief experiment, if you're married to Google.

This sounds quite dull but I made a Siri shortcut which does 20 bing searches for you. 

There must be a way to do a similar macro on a desktop. 

edit: Yep, you can use Automator on Mac to run 30 searches with a click of a button. Not bad. Don't think I can be bothered with setting up two accounts and all that but a fiver a month for running two macros seems alright.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Please could i have a copy of said shortcut?

Make sure you’re logged into Bing before you run it. Also, run it from the widget. For some reason if you run it within shortcuts it stops after just two repeats. 

I had already maxed out my searches on mobile for the day so let me know if it registers them properly. 

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/7fe421ed18704f769cb0c92f2f712ef2

• Upvote 9

12 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Make sure you’re logged into Bing before you run it. Also, run it from the widget. For some reason if you run it within shortcuts it stops after just two repeats. 

I had already maxed out my searches on mobile for the day so let me know if it registers them properly. 

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/7fe421ed18704f769cb0c92f2f712ef2

Yep all good!

Everyone POS this man he deserves it!

Right, one month in with all the new stuff on the UK MS Rewards and a US account is still better but we've caught up a bit. 

Account 1: 6360

Account 2: 6265

Account 3: 6006

Account 4 (US): 9784

So that's what you can earn in 30 days (between 6006 and 6360 points), if you want. 

How do you set up multiple accounts and link them all together ? I'm rubbish at this stuff but I've been using this on one account and it basically gives me Game Pass for nothing.

On 22/09/2018 at 08:32, stefcha said:

Yeah, that's US only at the moment, but as you say it's a bit broken anyway. I know some people have got the xbox logins to work, others it's just not registering at all. Me included! 

They fixed it. I checked last night and that specific reward had been claimed, and +500 points for finishing the challenge. I think they realized the defect and fixed it on the back end.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

They fixed it. I checked last night and that specific reward had been claimed, and +500 points for finishing the challenge. I think they realized the defect and fixed it on the back end.

It's sort of fixed, I've still only managed to get up to 3/10 and a lot of people still seem to have issues with it. They extended it to 5th Oct but even if what I'm doing is now working I can only get up to 9/10 :( More hassle than it's worth.

3 hours ago, Orion said:

How do you set up multiple accounts and link them all together ? I'm rubbish at this stuff but I've been using this on one account and it basically gives me Game Pass for nothing.

Create second MS account https://signup.live.com/signup , ideally not using the same phone number for verification if asked. Different name, different email, same address is fine (you're allowed 5 per household). Then go here https://account.microsoft.com/rewards/community/ and make a request to your other account. Accept that, and you can transfer 5000 points per calendar month between the two from the same page. 

• Upvote 2

There's a 250 point survey on the Xbox app at the moment (the Rewards app, on the Xbox itself) that takes moments to complete. Your opportunity to take a moment to tell them how shit the app is, if you like. 

• Upvote 1

Oh a whim, I decided to check the xbox app last night, as I'm normally only on the site. Glad I did. I have FH4 through game pass, but only a trial, so was intending to buy it outright. There's 6000 points for doing so, but the offer ends today, and you have to activate it, so you won't happen upon the points, you'll need to intentionally go get them. Also 1500 points for the Bond car pack, which comes with the ultimate edition. Finally, 3000 points for grabbing a couple of achievements on game pass games, which I'd done and just needed to activate. Just those three are $10 worth of points, if you happen to have the relevant purchases.

Think I need to start actively checking this thing.

9 minutes ago, Pug said:

FH4 through Game Pass isn't a trial. (Or did you mean your Game Pass is a trial?)

My game pass was the $2 for 2 month trial. It's awesome, but I'll never get the time to get the value out of it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

Oh a whim, I decided to check the xbox app last night, as I'm normally only on the site. Glad I did. I have FH4 through game pass, but only a trial, so was intending to buy it outright. There's 6000 points for doing so, but the offer ends today, and you have to activate it, so you won't happen upon the points, you'll need to intentionally go get them. Also 1500 points for the Bond car pack, which comes with the ultimate edition. Finally, 3000 points for grabbing a couple of achievements on game pass games, which I'd done and just needed to activate. Just those three are $10 worth of points, if you happen to have the relevant purchases.

Think I need to start actively checking this thing.

By way of comparison, in the UK Xbox App at the moment you can get 2500 points for renting 5 movies. And that's it. I'm currently on a knife edge as to whether I'll be able to get the 4410*3 points I need for another £15 quid of credit before Monday...

Reminder if you've got any points lying about, the 4410 points for a fiver of MS credit finishes today (usually 5850 if you're at level 2). Just managed to squeeze enough together for another £15 myself :)

Been a decent month, on top of that (and thanks to some timely sales/discounts) from my other pair of accounts I've gifted myself Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition, Hyper Light Drifter and Dead Cells as well. Good times!

Having bought FH4 on the 11th, a day before the offer ended, I no longer have the ability to claim to 6000 or 1500 points. I hope they're added automatically at some point, I definitely activated those two offers. If an offer runs through the 12th, the ability to claim it should stay there throughout.

They need to be clearer in general, too. 3000 for doing a couple of things in game pass. I'm 2 out of 3, and need to get an achievement from "this list of game pass games", one of which I already had installed. So I did, 2 days ago, and nowt.

edit - they need to make their messaging MUCH better. I just found, on reddit, a link to the game pass offer page and it actually lists the qualifying games:

Earn an Achievement in one of the following Game Pass Games: Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Quantum Break, ONRUSH, Aven Colony, Shadow Warrior 1, Sky-force reloaded, Manuel Samuel, Snake Pass, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, or Innerspace.

No wonder it didn't work.