IGNORED

Just Cause 4 - After Rain Comes Explosions

Boozy The Clown

2 hours ago, Max Damage said:

I read on the Steam forums that the 100% thing has been replaced by some kinda squad thing.I mean the game can't be any worse than 3 surely? I really enjoyed 3.

Please don't be shit.

Yeah there is some bar at the top of the screen that represents chaos damage, or something like that. As you cause damage it builds up and once it hits a new level, you can then take control of a region. But so far at least, it seems too easy to do - and not nearly as satisfying. That is if I am reading it right of course, everything is so poorly explained!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/12/04/just-cause-4-review-pc/

Oh, and in a rare deliberately included bad decision, they’ve removed C4. There are no grenades, no throwable bombs, nothing. Screw that. And you might note I’ve never mentioned weather – supposedly JC4’s big new feature. And that’s because it’s barely a thing, and just a tiresome irritant when it incredibly rarely occurs.

I’m just at a loss as to how this has happened. Just Causes have been buggy, sure. But they’ve never felt at least six months from finished. I cannot fathom how this wasn’t lengthily delayed, because it’s in such a dismal state. Although that said, even if the bugs and AI were fixed, it would still leave behind a version of Just Cause that barely changes anything you actually do since the third edition, yet has made every aspect of doing it so astronomically more annoying. What went wrong? How did such an established and entertaining series end up in such a quagmire? Gosh I’d love to know.

And to think I was going to pick it up on day one. Dodged a bullet. :/

55 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Just Cause 2 was a fluke.

I enjoyed all three (yes even the third one with all it's hitches and framerate issues) but it seems JC4 will be best enjoyed on the cheap I reckon. Hopefully they'll keep working on it to improve the performance and do some, apparently, much needed bug fixing.

How can it not have C4? steam is unpacking the game and now I'm slightly afraid of what awaits me. Surely Avalanche couldn't have fucked up their key franchise? All the videos looked so good but the general vibe seems to be it's bad. I got the game from Greenmangaming so no going back now...

Avalanche are making the new Rage game right? Because it seems Just cause 4 was made on the side by a third rate developer. I've played one hour and oh boy is it bad so far, numerous problems were apparent in that time...

Pre-rendered cutscenes are indeed awful. Super compressed and plain ugly. Seem to suffer from audio lip sync problems.

The game is dark, the game starts at night and I had a hard time seeing shit. There is no brightness or contrast options! No gamma either, wtf.

No fov option which sucks, I would like to change it as it feels too claustrophobic.

There's two types of AA and neither seem to do jack shit.

There are in-game cutscenes and there seems to be some weird ghosting effect going on, maybe happens because motion blur is on.

No HDR.

I've been in a few fire fights and the enemy are hard to spot, no minimap doesn't help and horrible contrast combined with piss poor art direction means it all looks a mess. The enemies should stand out some what but nope they just seem to blend into the noise.

The map screen is weird and as far as I can tell it doesn't allow you to zoom in or out.

I've only seen a very small portion of the world so far and it is not a looker so far, seems quite low poly.

If I had bought this on Steam I would certainly not be playing more than 2 hours and would probably get a refund. I'm gonna jump back in in a bit but first impressions are not good. If the game continues to be shit then I'll be baffled as to how Avalanche could have fucked up so bad and will be interesting in finding out what the fuck happened.

Maybe the console versions have HDR and thus don't look so stark and dark?At the moment I can't fathom how this game is getting good reviews, maybe it gets better the more you play it?  I played some more and the game still seems bad, I got in a few vehicles and the fov gets even tighter! Nothing has clicked so far and it all feels a bit confusing, I'm going to install JC3 and do a comparison to figure out if this new one really is bad as it feels.

On the contrary I think the console versions are meant to be much, much worse visually! Reviewers don't seem to have been given console versions to review, this is just going by comments from users around the Internet. 

The fan subreddit is full of disappointed gallows humour. Some of the screenshots look like an ugly ps2 game. Look at this shit: 

Not just that though, the game itself sounds as if it is much less fun for all. But the reviews that are out there (mostly YouTubers, I note, the traditional outlets seem to have only got review code the day before release) are generally positive.:hmm:

This really is a year for surprisingly terrible releases. 

I've maxed out all settings at 1080p, games runs solid at 60fps but the game is just ugly so far. The grapple seems to have a delay between uses which can make flying awkward, the whole games feels awkward tbh. I'm tired, I'm going to bed, I'll give it another shot tomorrow and hopefully find a way to fix the fov.

I'm still sort of enjoying it on the X. Mainly because the world feels much more like JC2 than 3 and has some decent variety to it. But it really is ugly....the water is a joke.

There are too many instances of not knowing what is happening. Small villages had a question mark against them initially, with no clue as to what you were supposed to do there. It turns out it's just stunt stuff with the vehicles.....but until I unlocked a certain mission, I had no idea what I was supposed to do to start doing those challenges. 

And a lot of the red stuff you can blow up just respawns now once you load up a save game. So in theory you could stay in the same region and blow shit up, wait for your next game, blow the same shit up, and increase the damage meter that way. Bobbins!

I have to agree with Max Damage, that hopefully a B team were making this while the main team are working on Rage 2. Because otherwise that may well turn out to be a big bag of shite. Is it using an ID engine or Avalanches does anybody know? This is by far the worst Xbox One X game graphically. You'd be forgiven for thinking they had forgotten to add whatever tells the game which version of the console it is running on.

I have to say I'm close to ditching this with about 2.5h in on PS4 Pro - in all honesty its just too confusing, makes me nauseous with the blur and too bug ridden.

I had a mission to destroy a surveillance balloon, got in it, flew it next to a big red round gas storage tank, got out and blew up the tank exploding the balloon - didn't register as destroyed it so was left stuck in the mission.

It just not finished or optimised.

Square Enix you fooled me once with JC3, so shame on you, shame on me for giving you the benefit of the doubt and pre-ordering with JC4.

I've still got my happy memories of my 100h+ save file on JC2 so will leave it there with this series.

I’ve hope that I’ll still enjoy this at some point as I’m a massive Just Cause fanboy. Fingers crossed some of the issues will be ironed officially or via mods on PC. I never buy big game releases day 1 for the last few years.

6 hours ago, deerokus said:

The strange thing is some of the reviews are really positive while just as many people report experiences like that. It's like there's two different versions of the game out there. 

Very odd. 

Cash for good reviews.

It had some real laugh out loud moments but they were hilarious bugs. Like taking off in a plane and the wing clipping some invisible object at the end of the runway and doing a treble barrel roll flip and then crashing and failing the mission. Smashed trees floating in mid air. Coming across an NPC’s dead friend who was in a weird cobra yoga position because it (presumably) had forgotton to draw the table in she was slumped over.

Then they stopped being funny and I turned that shit off. 

5 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Cash for good reviews.

But even from normally reliable folk like ACG. 

It seems SE paid for youtubers to fly somewhere to review it. That's always a red flag - 'real'/traditional game journalists don't usually do this. 

It's still weird though, none of them mention the terrible graphics for example and all the gameplay footage in the ones I saw looked good.