IGNORED

Just Cause 4 - After Rain Comes Explosions

Boozy The Clown

I decided to watch a video where Rico was assaulting a base with backup from a Tornado, & my interest level has definitely risen.  Watching him use a force of nature as a destruction tool, even getting pulled in himself but then using his wingsuit/grapple combo to slingshot himself further into the base to continue his mayhem was awesome.  I then tried some others where Rico was doing his thing in Lightning & Sandstorms & i think this just might be differentiation from JC3 that I was afraid the game would lack.

I'm still OK with JC3 for now, especially as I've just discovered the online leaderboards for certain stunts (my online sucked when I first played JC3, so I turned all that stuff off) & I'm putting my familiarity with the game's systems to the test, but i can see myself grabbing JC4 the instant I see it in any kind of sale.  Perhaps January?

Well, the good news is, that this is definitely more Just Cause 2, rather than 3 :) But on the Xbox One X it can look as rough as fuck to be honest. In cutscenes especially, it looks like it doesn't even display 1080p at times. There are jaggies all over the place. I'm playing on a 1080P set so no idea if it is supposed to reach 4k or not. There aren't any graphics settings that I can see in the options.

I have had a great time playing it the last couple of hours (got the Gold edition which unlocked today) but low res textures, LOD issues, and pop-in are quite noticeable. Not noticed the framerate tank yet, unlike JC3, but god knows what it will be like on the standard Xbox One and PS4. It isn't like it is doing any special graphics-wise. Something like AC Odyssey looks more detailed and has just as impressive draw distances, but looks much sharper.

Not sure if they can patch it.....and what it might mean for how Rage 2 looks.

I've got the middle edition pre-ordered digitally, need to check when it unlocks as got 24h early access so may be able to play today or tom - keen to see this on the PS4 pro as been on a media blackoput pretty much so want to play it fresh.

I've got the standard edition on pc so I'll be playing this tomorrow night. From the videos I've seen on here I think it looks great, I couldn't give a shit about rough cutscenes because thats not why you play a Just cause game. Along as I can blow stuff up and fly around causing havoc in whatever way I want I'll be happy. I need a break from Assassins creed Odyssey and this will hopefully be pure no-nonsense gameplay.

Taking a break from a massive free open world game, to play another massive free open world game....

I kid, i kid.... in the past few months I have played Horizon, Spiderman, Ass Oddyssey and RDR 2.... i should be burned out by open world, but all these games have been fantastic.

Hadn't really had my eye on this (despite loving 2, and feeling a bit 'meh' about 3), but the weather system looks like it can bring something new to the table perhaps.

I'll take a punt when its 19.99 in either the run up to Xmas, or in the new year. 

Hmm, I’ve put 90m in to the PS4 version on the pro and it feels a bit messy - ugly cutscenes with vaseline smeared over them, quite janky graphics with lots of pop up when you are up high and just really lacking in polish.

It keeps throwing stuff at me without really explaining what’s going on, then I’m flying around and somehow start a Mission for drone blueprints.

Its a really messy start to a game, first impressions not great, but there is fun in tethering helicopters to the ground or chasing cars, but I know this from the last one, its not new. 

Initial view doesn’t feel much of an upgrade at all 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Its such a rough round the edges mess, just played another 45m and the engine just can’t handle vehicle speed on the ground, something going on with blur thats nade me feel sick playing it, had to turn off.

Ugh, that sounds really disappointing. Was all set to purchase it too. Hopefully there will be a performance patch out before Christmas.

Was always a bit of a risk ordering around launch after the state of the previous game (they never fixed it) and with the suspicious lack of console footage they released before launch. 

That motion blur is absolutely horrible, almost looks like a bug. 

just to add to my initial downer on this they've removed the main reason to blow crap up, you don't now 100% areas to liberate them so the OCD appeal of hoovering up towns and finding every destroyable element appears totally removed.

I did still find some fun in it, especially on foot in a firefight with the L2 fine aim trigger coming into play - but overall I was really disappointed - its beginning to look like JC2 was the high point of the series for me.

2 minutes ago, Gotters said:

just to add to my initial downer on this they've removed the main reason to blow crap up, you don't now 100% areas to liberate them so the OCD appeal of hoovering up towns and finding every destroyable element appears totally removed.

Yep, really annoying. I don't feel like I'm properly doing missions without the 100% counter. Don't get that design choice at all.

whole thing is a mess to play, the world map is hideous, tiny font on giant screens in the tutorial bits telling you what to press, the whole stupid grappling hook loadout setup - I'm not even sure I'd know half of what to do if this was my first game in the series.

its like disparate dev teams suddenly bolted together a frankengame 1 month before it shipped.

removing the 100% for areas is just bizarre as other than blowing stuff up for the sake of it there is no reason to waste ammo now on stuff - they've literally removed the point of the best part of the series.

I kept comparing my first couple of hours in this with something like Zelda BotW - which I regard as a high watermark of open world gaming introductions, it doesn't fare well in comparison.

The removal of the need to 100% the outposts is baffling, I'm sure they have reasons but as much as it was frustrating at times hunting down the last thing to explode it was also very satisfying when you did find it.

I'll post impressions next year sometime when I pick it up for tuppence ha'penny in an xbox sale.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

The removal of the need to 100% the outposts is baffling, I'm sure they have reasons but as much as it was frustrating at times hunting down the last thing to explode it was also very satisfying when you did find it.

I remember floating around the capital - in 2, not 3 - for ages trying to find the location of the last blasted propaganda van I could hear blaring out tinny martial music from somewhere nearby. Could I see that bastard? Nope.

Very satisfying to finally winkle it out and blow it to bits.