rllmuk
deKay

PlayStation Classic

Picked mine up today. Nice wee machine. I need to figure out how to get it all setup now. Quick question, can you upload new games onto the system like the NES/SNES or do you need to use an external USB? 

Also I love the pads. Great for playing platformers etc on my PC.

£40 in Cex today, two doors down from Argos.

Wonder how much money they lost stockpiling them to sell for £100+?

• Upvote 3

A big thank you to @Mars for the advice on getting it set up, I installed a bunch of games through Retroarch yesterday and the difference between playing, for example RRT4, on the stock emulator vs PCSX Rearmed is night and day, even I can tell the difference. 

Plus now all the games that really should have been there, like Wipeout, Tomb Raider and Silent Hill now are!

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Popo said:

A big thank you to @Mars for the advice on getting it set up, I installed a bunch of games through Retroarch yesterday and the difference between playing, for example RRT4, on the stock emulator vs PCSX Rearmed is night and day, even I can tell the difference. 

Plus now all the games that really should have been there, like Wipeout, Tomb Raider and Silent Hill now are!

You’re welcome, @Down by Law helped me out, so passing it on :)  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tetchy said:

Any chance of getting some help as well please? :)

I'd appreciate some tips, too, if they are to hand. Thank you!

1 minute ago, bm said:

I'd appreciate some tips, too, if they are to hand. Thank you!

@Popo has kindly provided me with some steps so I'll PM them to you :)

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

How about someone post them in the thread please? I'm looking at getting mine sorted this week.

Because how to pirate is against the forum rules.

• Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, deKay said:

Modding isn't piracy, is it? As long as those instructions don't tell you to download games from somewhere - or worse, where to download them from exactly - shouldn't it be fine?

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, deKay said:

Emulation is discussed a lot on the forum, I wrote guides for the Wii etc. Why would a guide to modding the Classic be a problem?

And if its not allowed on the forum, why are we allowed to private message the same info?

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, deKay said:

I wasn't asking for piracy. I was asking for the getting started guide on modding my system. That's not against the rules, there's discussions and guides about how to do it on all sorts of consoles on this forum.

That YouTube video I posted on the last page will pretty much sort you out. Just remember once you download autobleem, put the unzipped files in the root of your memory stick, as that's where most people go wrong (me included :lol:

I assumed it was the rules stopping anyone posting the guide here rather than PM.

I didn’t make the rules!

• Downvote 2

The in-laws bought us one for 50 quid a few months ago. Having heard that it was crap I tried to return it. PC World wouldn't take it back without the receipt.

To be honest I'm glad they didn't now. Since modding it I've went on to buy a SNES mini to mod. I've went on to mod two Wii's and my WiiU (which I'm finding a bit more challenging than the Wii). I'm also planning to mod my PS3 slim when I get round to it.

So an unwanted gift has lead me into a hobby that I really enjoy. My three year old also loves the N64, GCN and Wii games so that's a wee bonus.

• Upvote 4

picked mine up earlier. Had a quick blast on mr driller. The hardware is lovely but the  jankiness on the emulation is definitely noticeable on the sound. I’m hoping that replacing the stock emu with the one from Bleemsync might improve matters a bit. I want to keep it as stock as possible just with a few of the foibles ironed out. 

The stock emu will always have sound bugs in my testing, you'll have to use the playstation core in retroarch for spot on emulation. Personally, a few sound problems is worth the tradeoff for the nice front end and quick save state functionality, but it's great to have the choice. 

I managed to get this working by downloading a Retroboot setup from Arcadepunks. It was very easy and now I'm hankering after a Spectrum core for Retroarch. Will it be easy to put those files into the setup I already have? I think I'm going to have a snoop through the directories to see where different file types live.

FYI I just tried Autobleem, v0.6 beta 2 on an old 1gb stick and I have to say it works very well. I heartily recommend it for a simple no mod solution. Literally just copy files to a memory stick and away you go. 

Added bonus in that you can press select+triangle and play with the hidden PCSX settings menu. I prefer to turn the smoothing filter off. Now to procure a larger memory stick (Sandisk cruzer fit 2.0). 

Edit: the stick I was using kept hitting the current limit. Time to break out the soldering iron. 

• Upvote 1

That I can. 

Retropie uses the retro arch system of emulation. The retropie emu is a little more polished and does have better sound plus you can switch to different cores.

The classic emulation is definitely a little more janky if you know what you’re looking for.

I would score the classic emulation as a 8/10 with retropie emulation a 9. Noticeably better but not leagues ahead. 

Overall though, despite the slating the system got at launch, for £30 I’m more than satisfied.