rllmuk
deKay

PlayStation Classic

2 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

When it hit £40 I ordered one, thought about it for a bit then cancelled it. I’d definitely want to hack it but didn’t know if I could be arsed - especially as it seems like it could be a bit of effort to find a compatible USB stick etc.

I used this one, works a treat and is barely there when plugged into the second controller port.

SanDisk Cruzer Fit 64GB USB 2.0... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MDXBTL1?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Upvote 1

You can use autobleem which uses the stock emulator which is perfectly adequate but if you put on retroarch you can instead use the pcsx core which is nigh on perfect. 

I've played Mega Cd games more on mine than Ps1. Finished the wonderful Terminator side scroller and a few hours into Snatcher now. Worth the 40quid alone. 

NeoGeo is emulated great as well, was playing KoF 2002 this morning and Matrimelee for the first time. Great you can plug in a USB arcade stick for the full effect. 

23 hours ago, bear said:

Not sure if you know this but Retro-bit have released some officially licensed Megadrive and Saturn pads that come with a USB connection. 

They are meant to be good. 

https://www.destructoid.com/review-retro-bit-licensed-sega-genesis-sega-saturn-controllers-544719.phtml

It's annoying that the Megadrive we get in Europe will come with the 3 button pads instead of six buttons like Japan. 

I've got one of the SMD ones and I've only played Dune Mega CD on it so far, which isn't exactly twitch gaming.

Nonetheless, it feels lovely. I can throw some Sonic at it if anyone wants a full opinion.

On 21/04/2019 at 10:58, Alex W. said:

Nobody’s cracked a way to get Dual Shock pads to work via a USB adaptor then?

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but the DualShock 4 works great, just pop the USB cable in. I’m using autobleem + retroarch (thanks @Down by Law!) and a quick nudge in the settings to enable the analogue stick(s) and you’re off.

The emulation is great on retroarch, the stock version of Ridge Racer T4, for example, is shocking in comparison. 

Well impressed with this, can I get every console and games up to the Dreamcast in this format, please? :wub:

• Upvote 1

Is there a recommended guide on what needs to be installed, in which order, and from where? I’ve read a few things and they all recommend doing it in different ways. 

7 minutes ago, probotector said:

How hard is this to hack? 

Pretty easy, you just need to put some stuff on a USB stick and plug it in. Problems can come with the USB stick you use, the margins on the power supply are a bit thin so a USB that uses too much juice can cause your PSC to crash - and for me that always corrupted the USB Drive. The PSC is unscathed though, so it's just a matter of trying again. If you find a lower power USB stick (or use a hub), it's fine apparently.

Second complication is the way the BleemSync people chose to get games on the system, you have to plug it into a PC and use a transfer program rather than just copy games to the USB like what would be sensible. I believe Autobleem is a lot easier in that respect, but ties you to the stock emulator.

EDIT: Looks like I am wrong on Autobleem, you can use RetroArch!

• Upvote 1

I’ve got a couple of USB sticks so that helps.

I need to unpack it...I’m one of the poor souls who forgot to cancel their pre-order and got a £90 turd turn up on launch day. 

Bleemsync for PS1 and retroarch for everything else? 

32 minutes ago, Popo said:

Is there a recommended guide on what needs to be installed, in which order, and from where? I’ve read a few things and they all recommend doing it in different ways. 

PM’d.

• Upvote 2

Hardware nostalgia aside, is there any benefit to this over emulating the same games on a PC? I'm guessing it's mainly for those who want a small box to feed their TVs, whereas for someone like me with a monitor and no telly it's pointless?

9 hours ago, Escaped said:

Hardware nostalgia aside, is there any benefit to this over emulating the same games on a PC? I'm guessing it's mainly for those who want a small box to feed their TVs, whereas for someone like me with a monitor and no telly it's pointless?

I’ve got mine running through an svideo converter on a Trinitron CRT. I think that would be more awkward with a PC. Otherwise, stick to using a PC!

10 hours ago, Escaped said:

Yeah, that’s it for me. My dream setup is a PC that can run up to Dreamcast-era gaming. I wouldn’t be interested in this if it couldn’t be modded (would get a PSTV) but it’s a great setup for £50.

I have a modded Wii for my Nintendo-retro fix, so really happy with what I’ve got.

I do fully expect these console mods/mini hacks to be a gateway for me but it’s just great to me that I can play all of these games with amazing memories (and play ones I could never access when I was younger) with such an easy tweak to a console that I can buy in a shop. It’s cool to see how much has moved on from my previous modded experience (a @Yod@ modded crystal box) so I expect the above era (Dreamcast, Gamecube) emulation will be where we are now with PS1, N64, etc in a few years. Then, I’ve got my Xbox 360 and onto current gen, with backward compatibility. So really, we’re quite close to being able to access and play most games from our lifetime on demand, which is great. 

Then there’s the potential of how the industry reacts, putting the success of minis and the possibility of new services (eg streaming) together to wrap it all up. As we’ve seen in the Antstream thread, it’s the rights and licensing issues that are sadly forcing the scene ‘underground’, tech is getting there.

I’d love someone like Microsoft & Nintendo to stand up at E3, and say fuck it; that they’ve thrown a load of money to get the Goldeneye license back so we can all play it again online. We’re talking about licenses linked to soundtracks, advertising, cars that are no longer on sale, etc. A watershed moment that brings the corporate and underground worlds together would be nice. I’m sure we’d all rather just boot up our consoles and play old games on demand rather than modding, downloading roms, etc. It’s also a matter of convenience and accessibility; how much time you’re willing to spend on setting something up. I have friends who couldn’t be bothered to enter a code for a free downloaded game bundled with a console, let alone the idea of setting an emulator up.  Companies are leaving money on the table, the demand is there.

For example, my mate’s just got their old PS1 out of the loft and playing crash bandicoot, we were reminiscing about old games which led to me reading up on @Down by Law‘s setup. I showed them this and they were blown away - something smaller than their psone, with the right controller and form factor that has so many games at the push of a button. I’ll sort one for their birthday, but they wouldn’t go through the process (however simple) of modding a product they bought, even if they would like to. It’s just not a familiar consumer behaviour, so it’s up to our industry to make this possible and accessible.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Mars said:

Yeah, that’s it for me. My dream setup is a PC that can run up to Dreamcast-era gaming. I wouldn’t be interested in this if it couldn’t be modded (would get a PSTV) but it’s a great setup for £50.

Have you tried the redream emulator? I have it running on my laptop with a library of about 70 DC games. Looks really nice, dead easy to setup and it's the best performance I've ever had out of a DC emulator.

• Upvote 3

Yeah agree with that- redream is something else, I haven't had anything really suffer yet.

In reference to @Mars post I think there probably is a good market for some kind of all in one package. I'm surprised there aren't more hooky retroarch boxes floating about like the MAME arcade cabs etc.

A £150 PC that booted straight to a selection of emulators (Inc redream/dolphin etc) would really clean up even if it is legally very dodgy. I think anyway 

• Upvote 1

I've just come this |.| close to buying one for £30. I'd always thought I'd get one once it dropped below £30, but I gave it a bit of thought and realised I wouldn't get thirty quid's worth of entertainment out of it. It'd get five minutes play and then would sit in a shelf, next to the two actual PS1 consoles...

I think...

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I've just come this |.| close to buying one for £30. I'd always thought I'd get one once it dropped below £30, but I gave it a bit of thought and realised I wouldn't get thirty quid's worth of entertainment out of it. It'd get five minutes play and then would sit in a shelf, next to the two actual PS1 consoles...

I think...

tenor.gif?itemid=13518379

Then mod it ;)

On 14/05/2019 at 22:05, Escaped said:

With this being reduced to £29.99 in Argos I was tempted to pick one up. But I use Launchbox on the PC to play old PS1 games so apart from the nice wee console I think I would be throwing my money away.