PlayStation Classic

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Why not 2019 for the 25th anniversary? 

This makes it an even madder decision.

What will they do next year to celebrate 25 years of playstation? Maybe they'll do it in style and release some novelty Crash Bandicoot slippers or one of those massive pencils you get in museum gift shops with a picture of Heihachi on it.

1 hour ago, cubik said:

That's what bothered me the most. It looks fantastic, but that game select menu looks like an album select screen from a dodgy mp3 player.

Especially when they already had an awesome 90s menu in the form of Demo 1.

hqdefault.jpg

6 hours ago, cubik said:

What will they do next year to celebrate 25 years of playstation? Maybe they'll do it in style and release some novelty Crash Bandicoot slippers or one of those massive pencils you get in museum gift shops with a picture of Heihachi on it.

A two-ended pencil where the graphite represents Heihachi's hair, and he gets increasingly bald as you write everything down twice, finding out who's bordered and excised. Sony Clause is coming to town.

12 hours ago, cubik said:

That's what bothered me the most. It looks fantastic, but that game select menu looks like an album select screen from a dodgy mp3 player.

The SNES mini was just fun from the minute you switched it on. Bright, colourful, jaunty background music and the whole UI just looked and felt right. All the games ran at full speed too.

This on the other hand is a bare bones dreary experience with what appear to be gimped & slow versions of certain games, nothing fun about it at all. It doesn't have any screen options or filtering, or even simple little extras like the dinosaur demo to brighten it up or make it feel like anything other than a cynical cash-in rather than a true nostalgia trip.

Yeah and it'd be so easy to improve, for instance recut the classic Blown Away video using the games actually on it (They've already got Tomb Raider).

Incidentally, the band Archive who provided the music are still around and I know they'd licence it again.   If nothing else that video has sold me a LOT of albums over the years.  Here's what they sound like these days.

11 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Especially when they already had an awesome 90s menu in the form of Demo 1.

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah, make some of that old interface in 1080P, or even 4k and just use it.  The PS1 was huge because of its Wipeout/Ridge Racer/Tekken driven atmosphere in a world of cartoony games and trading on that would have been SO easy.

US users are getting really screwed over with the PAL versions. For the mass market in the UK for whom the 50 Hz versions were all they ever knew, there's no slowdown to speak of. Tekken 3 is just like they remember it. Certainly when I was playing these back in the day, I never felt like I was getting shortchanged because these games were playable, fun, and as far as I knew just as intended. Sure, in 2018 it's not ideal, but people buying for the nostalgia wouldn't notice an issue.

But for players in North America, as well as those who were aware of the NTSC-PAL thing back in the day, the versions are worse than they're used to, before you even get into the whole quality of emulation thing. A classic re-release of a console, 24 years on, that runs slower than the original did. What?!?

Talk about a giant "fuck you" from Sony.

While it’s not slowed down compared to PAL it’s not as smooth as it was. You can’t show 50 frames per second on a screen that updates 60 times a second, so it just freezes for one frame ten times a second.

I know a lot of people won’t really notice that (it’s how they convert movies to 60 Hz for home media) but it’s not even as good as the original PAL release.

Disappointing to see that this ended up more like an ATgames product than a Nintendo classic. A relatively mediocre selection of games is bad enough but a mediocre selection combined with poor emulation has killed any remaining interest I had in this. 

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

While it’s not slowed down compared to PAL it’s not as smooth as it was.

I mean, the NTSC original was faster than the original PAL release, so if this is using the PAL version, then American players will find it's slower than they recall.

Unless the PAL release was optimised to get the speed right, of course, but swap Tekken 3 then for something that wasn't.

The PS Classic is the biggest gaming disappointment of 2018 for me, with my own lack of ability at being good at any kind of online games a close second.

Admittedly, I've never played any of the fallout games so wasn't hyped about 76.

On the plus side I've got another £90 to spend on myself for Christmas.

My take is that I didn't expect much from Fallout 76 anyway. The idea of the same people who gave us Fallout 4, making an MMO using the same old creaky engine, seemed doomed from the start. Sure, I didn't expect it to be as hilariously terrible as it ended up being, but still.

Whereas the PS classic seems like such a straightforward thing to get right. PS1 emulation has been a thing for ages, surely Sony themselves can obtain the necessary roms, and they already had the casing nailed - beforehand I would have assumed that to be the hardest part to get right! 

The PS1 classic was imho a lot harder to fuck up, but Sony went above and beyond.

On 27/11/2018 at 20:26, K said:

Mental that they ported a PC emulator for the PS Classic, rather than use their own. I was certain that this would just be a PSVita in a new case. Why would they buy in new software and hardware, rather than use something they already owned?

Less effort required, why make a new one when a perfectly competent one exists for the target hardware platform? The real question should be why then go the extra mile and fuck up a perfectly competent emulator by running PAL code and attempting to output it at NTSC refresh rate?!? Which is the same crap they did with the inhouse PS2 emulator running on the PS4, which does a similar thing for no good reason too.

They even went the extra mile and designed custom hardware to power this device! The software team have ruined all the work of the hardware design teams on this one.

25 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Less effort required, why make a new one when a perfectly competent one exists for the target hardware platform? 

I think K is wondering why the "target hardware platform" isn't just the PS Vita TV, for which they already had a front-end, battle-tested and highly-regarded emulator with extensive customisation options, enormous range of licensed software, etc. etc.

Not to keep banging this drum but it's the sort of decision you'd make if you decided to copy the NES/SNES Classic Mini but hadn't the first clue about the existing PlayStation product range. Did some outside contractor pitch this to Sony and they just went with it?

the vita internals probably cost too much to make the profit they want.

PSTV was reduced to 40-50 quid at end of life but that was just stock clearing noone was making much on that... and for this incarnation they'd have to make two controllers as well (PSTV wasnt supplied with one.

So they designed some cheaper internals instead I would guess instead of paying out more for power it didnt need.

Well, it's an off-the-shelf chip that's a significantly higher spec than the Vita, combined with more RAM than the Vita had:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-mini-teardown

But it might have been cheaper than getting the Vita components at this late stage.

But they had to develop a whole new software solution for that, which has turned out to be worse, despite the higher spec.

I'm not saying that doing a Vita TV-derived solution would have been the best option given whatever constraints Sony put on the project, but it certainly would have given better results.