deKay

PlayStation Classic - December 2018

I'm hoping that they include the T-rex demo as a little easter egg. Would be great if this was a little museum filled with nods to the past and nuggets of PlayStation history, as opposed to a barebones box of disc images with a front end.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1

I still have my fully back compatible PS3 filled with PS1 images under the TV connected via HDMI and a Vita chock-full of the same so it's a definite swerve from me but man I was so in love with the PS1. It's the console that made me a gamer. When the NES and SNES mini consoles came out it was an easy dodge because I had no affinity with them but this is pushing buttons. Fuck it, it looks so dinky, might just get one for the bedroom TV. Another trinket to dust and polish.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

45% is not actually that mini is it?

Strikes me as being around the same size as the PSOne. Which would only make sense if you can also play disk based games....

Nice one - but as one of those crazy persons who still has all his PS1/2/3 games gathering dust on a nice shelf, I hope Sony will also consider adding proper BC to the PS5 instead of only jumping onto the mini- retroconsole hype in a flash.

• Upvote 1

No way are they sticking a CD drive in there. The number of people who still have PS1 discs must be absolutely minuscule. 

• Upvote 1

I agree that there's no way they're including a CD drive, but with any luck it will be hacked within its first week of release and you can add all the games you want. At which point the lack of a dual shock will become annoying...

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, amc said:

A lot of games used only a fraction of the storage of the cd and mostly for the FMV etc and I'm sure modern compression can bring that down, but stuff like FFVII on multiple discs can only be shrunk so much so I'm guessing it's into the Gb's. 8Gb I'd guess.

I read once that the full game world of FFVII was stored on each game disc, and it was only the FMV that changed between discs, taking up most of the space.

Any guesses on the rest of the games? Surely Symphony of the Night has to be in there. Resident Evil? Tenchu? Wipeout? I would say MGS, but I think that requires a dual shock

wonder if the european version will feature crap pal versions of games or not.

in the case of games whose master versions had multiple languages, then they would have to?

swerve if so.

1 minute ago, Paulando said:

I read once that the full game world of FFVII was stored on each game disc, and it was only the FMV that changed between discs, taking up most of the space.

i doubt the game will be rebuilt for this device though

• Upvote 1

Lack of Dual Shock is really weird to me.

Unlike the SNES and NES Minis, I already probably own most of the games that'll be on this and hardware to play them so it'll be a lot less appealing. 

2 minutes ago, Triple A said:

wonder if the european version will feature crap pal versions of games or not.

in the case of games whose master versions had multiple languages, then they would have to?

swerve if so.

This is currently the biggest question mark. Considering Sony's current language policies, this is probably a logistical nightmare behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

Would've preferred PS1 games on PS4 to another lump of plastic under the TV but perhaps I'm not the target audience for this.

Edit: actually, if this has Gran Turismo 1/2 on it, it'll be ideal for my mum. Slightly irritated that Sony are dragging their heels on revealing the full lineup of games though.

It won't, they'll never be able to licence the cars. Same is going to kill the F1 games making it on here.

Just now, Fry Crayola said:

Lack of Dual Shock is really weird to me.

But not surprising, seeing as they sold for £35 on launch, and they’re probably still not cheap to make. Compatibility with PS3/PS4 pads with a USB cable would be fine. 

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It won't, they'll never be able to licence the cars. Same is going to kill the F1 games making it on here.

In which case they can include a proper racing game like Rollcage.

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Strikes me as being around the same size as the PSOne. Which would only make sense if you can also play disk based games....

Looks smaller than that, the pad is wider than the console (PSOne is wider than the pad). Also is RR4 analogue steering? 

Wipeout 2097

Rollcage

Destruction Derby 2

RR / Revolution ?

Micro Machines V3

I expect:

SOTN

MGS

Resident Evil 1-3 (at least 2)

SF Alpha 2

Tomb Raider 2

Twisted Metal

are a lock.

I wonder if we'll ever get a Saturn mini or would that take a shit ton of work on Sega's part? What did Nintendo do to run their mini consoles, did they create a bespoke emu or crib some code from the ones doing the rounds? Saying that they've been punting out old games on new hardware since year dot so they probably have emulators up the wazoo. I know the state of Saturn emulation is on the up and I couldn't see Sega putting in the work to write a bespoke Saturn emulator so perhaps they may pinch a bit of this and that from out of the wild. Man a really nice little 32" screen in the corner of my living room with a PS1 mini, a Saturn mini and an N64 mini is very appealing. Around the late 90's early 00's I always dreamed of having every console setup and good to go and a Virtua Racing cab (nearly bought a twin sit down for £300 quid from Wales which was going in my kitchen but I couldn't fit it through the back door) in my own little piece of gaming heaven. If they do release a N64 and Saturn mini I'd probably go all out crazy and setup the same thing with a NES, SNES and one of those piece of shit atgames Megadrives. And a pinball machine, a Virtual boy a Binatone pong, a.....

5 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Looks smaller than that, the pad is wider than the console (PSOne is wider than the pad). Also is RR4 analogue steering? 

yes, it supported the NegCon, and the JogCon was designed for it.

6 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Then the 45% smaller number is completely wrong.

57 minutes ago, amc said:

A lot of games used only a fraction of the storage of the cd and mostly for the FMV etc and I'm sure modern compression can bring that down, but stuff like FFVII on multiple discs can only be shrunk so much so I'm guessing it's into the Gb's. 8Gb I'd guess.

A lot of early games used redbook audio and had a few tens of MB of actual code, so they can crunch right down with modern compression. FF7 is still about 1.2GB on a modern system though. 

10 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Then the 45% smaller number is completely wrong.

Are they talking in terms of volume, area, or just dimensions?

• Upvote 1