deKay

PlayStation Classic - December 2018

8 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Obviously 1/2/3 backwards compatability on the 4 is the dream...

I can't imagine that it won't be hacked, you just won't get anything approaching the benefits you get on XB1 BC. And it looks like we're stuck with the worst of all the PS1 controllers. No Ape Escape for you! But yeah, I'd be very surprised if we can't play ALL PS1 games on the mini within the first week of release.

8 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Obviously 1/2/3 backwards compatability on the 4 is the dream...

On 5 you mean. We could get it on 5, at the very least BC with the PS4. But Sony ain't gonna do shit on 4 at this point.

• Upvote 1

Are they waiting until all pre-orders are sold before they release the full games list?

I'll have to wait till the restock after the HUKD scalpers have had their fill if I like the looks of the list.

2 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Are they waiting until all pre-orders are sold before they release the full games list?

I'll have to wait till the restock after the HUKD scalpers have had their fill if I like the looks of the list.

Why not just pre-order from Amazon and then cancel if you don't like the look of the list?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Purin said:

Why not just pre-order from Amazon and then cancel if you don't like the look of the list?

That would be a sensible approach yes. I'll do that.

48 minutes ago, bear said:

I've never understood the appeal of hacking stuff like this or the NES classic. Just get something like a Shield TV if you want an emulator box. There's a ton of emulators on Android, it's far simpler to get working and you won't mess up your warranty.  

Why should I go and buy another box for a fair old chunk of cash when this will do the job?

And you don't really have a clue what you are talking about, the NES mini hacks take seconds to add or remove ROMs. You can even restore it to factory settings within seconds even if you brick it.

The PSTV already does PS1 emulation perfectly via modding, is smaller and can take a 256Gb memory card.  This looks to be a way to cash in on the NES Mini wave, whilst getting rid of vast piles of unsold PSTVs by sticking them in a new case.

• Upvote 6

I don’t think it would be worth the money to have people levering those open with screwdrivers one at a time, but they will get more of a return on their investment in the manufacturing tools. 

21 minutes ago, dumpster said:

The PSTV already does PS1 emulation perfectly via modding, is smaller and can take a 256Gb memory card.  This looks to be a way to cash in on the NES Mini wave, whilst getting rid of vast piles of unsold PSTVs by sticking them in a new case.

And charging an extra £50 for the privilege.

6 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

And charging an extra £50 for the privilege.

You get 20 games for that extra £50, to be fair.

• Upvote 1

I don't get this thing about adding BC to the PS4 is more important than releasing this.

The main audience for the PS1 Classic is not the hardcore PS4 owner. It's for people who had one when they were younger and want to revisit it. It's two different markets altogether. It's for people who are not reading this forum and never will.

9 minutes ago, K said:

You get 20 games for that extra £50, to be fair.

True. But most of those games are on PSN for £3.49. And at least then you get to pick and choose the games you want.

1 minute ago, K said:

Yeah. People saying "why would anyone pay £80 for this when they could buy a Raspberry Pi, SD card and 8bitdo pad, download a batch of no-header ROMs eboot files and ISOs from archive.org, flash a Retroarch image to the card, and then play all the retro games they want?" are missing the point a bit.

Or even "why would anyone ask for this for Christmas when their elderly mum could just buy a Raspberry Pi, SD card and 8bitdo pad, download a batch of no-header ROMs eboot files and ISOs from archive.org, flash a Retroarch image to the card, and then play all the retro games they want?" 

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

True. But most of those games are on PSN for £3.49. And at least then you get to pick and choose the games you want.

Unless you want Tekken 3, I suppose. But I don't think the target audience for this is people who want to buy a PSVita and curate a list of PS1 games they can download from the store. The main selling point of the Playstation Classic is nostalgia, rather than it being an ideal retrogames solution. People are after the classic packaging and the old-school pads - it's something for people to open at Christmas and play Tekken & Ridge Racer with their grown-up siblings and kids. Nothing wrong with that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

One thing I've seen, is it seems more popular than the NES / SNES mini. Sure, it's a small test base, but I have a small facebook groups with about 1200 people on. A post yesterday on with the console ended up gathering about 6000 unique views on Facebook itself and generated 97 console pre-orders through Amazon. The NES/SNES minis got about 75% of that combined.

Edit: Haha, I think @Hitcher must be a Nintendo fan! ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, K said:

Yeah. People saying "why would anyone pay £80 for this when they could buy a Raspberry Pi, SD card and 8bitdo pad, download a batch of no-header ROMs eboot files and ISOs from archive.org, flash a Retroarch image to the card, and then play all the retro games they want?" are missing the point a bit.

And answering their own question.

Here are four major drawbacks with Retropie:

1. You button mash the wrong buttons you end up in some sort of DOS.

2. The thing is not reliable. I had crashing issues and had to install fans, I also had to reflash my sd card as it failed first time.

3. There is no pause-resume, sleep, standby, off switch with the basic RP setup.

4. Game performance varies.

Having to deal with all that is not an ideal retro gaming solution, and not appealing for most people. It’s the difference between building a home PC yourself, and walking into an apple store. Technically one is cheaper and can produce more powerful results, but you don’t get a warranty and the alternative offers less but works perfectly without wasting your time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

And answering their own question.

Here are four major drawbacks with Retropie:

1. You button mash the wrong buttons you end up in some sort of DOS.

2. The thing is not reliable. I had crashing issues and had to install fans, I also had to reflash my sd card as it failed first time.

3. There is no pause-resume, sleep, standby, off switch with the basic RP setup.

4. Game performance varies.

Having to deal with all that is not an ideal retro gaming solution, and not appealing for most people.

Thanks. Will pass this on to the developers.