Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Stan & Ollie

Apparently there's a movie coming about Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. Starring Steve Coogan and John C Reilly. Coming on 11 January 2019.

Official blurb

The true story of Hollywood’s greatest comedy double act, Laurel and Hardy, is brought to the big screen for the first time. Starring Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly as the legendary movie icons, Stan & Ollie is the heart-warming story of what would become the pair’s triumphant farewell tour.

With their golden era long behind them, the pair embark on a variety hall tour of Britain and Ireland. Despite the pressures of a hectic schedule, and with the support of their wives Lucille (Shirley Henderson) and Ida (Nina Arianda) – a formidable double act in their own right - the pair’s love of performing, as well as for each other, endures as they secure their place in the hearts of their adoring public.

• Upvote 2

Been following it with interest. Wondered whether it would put Coogan back on the map or whether his day will just never come 

I like the trailer, but got to say they don’t measure up to Robert Downey Jr in Chaplin (even tho that wasn’t much of a film)

Was it funny though? I loved the Laurel and Hardy repeats (I'm not that old) when they were on TV as a kid so I was looking forward to this. On a dramatic level it is brilliant and I really enjoyed it. But the comedy bits fell flat. And if the rest of the audience I was with are anything to go by they felt the same. Not a titter for the entire movie.

I agree the performances were great, the wives in particular but the best comedy bits were at the end when they showed original footage. Reilly and Coogan just didn't quite have the charisma, timing and general magic to make this funny.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Was it funny though? I loved the Laurel and Hardy repeats (I'm not that old) when they were on TV as a kid so I was looking forward to this. On a dramatic level it is brilliant and I really enjoyed it. But the comedy bits fell flat. And if the rest of the audience I was with are anything to go by they felt the same. Not a titter for the entire movie.

I agree the performances were great, the wives in particular but the best comedy bits were at the end when they showed original footage. Reilly and Coogan just didn't quite have the charisma, timing and general magic to make this funny.

Personally I thought there were plenty of funny bits, but let’s not fool ourselves here, it isn’t really a comedy is it? It’s a biopic about two people that happened to be comedians. It’s more about their relationship.

2 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I kind of know what you meant, it's very gentle humour, I probably laughed more than anyone there as it made me so nostalgic, like "hard boiled eggs and nuts" - that just hit me sideways, I don't even recall how young I must have been but I just knew what was coming

I found there were really lovely genuinely funny moments like when they arrive at the hotel, or when the argument that's the emotional core of the movie ends in him throwing something - even in tragedy they are playing a routine. Clever, but made me smile, but you're right not belly laugh

1 hour ago, linkster said:

I kind of know what you meant, it's very gentle humour, I probably laughed more than anyone there as it made me so nostalgic, like "hard boiled eggs and nuts" - that just hit me sideways, I don't even recall how young I must have been but I just knew what was coming

I found there were really lovely genuinely funny moments like when they arrive at the hotel, or when the argument that's the emotional core of the movie ends in him throwing something - even in tragedy they are playing a routine. Clever, but made me smile, but you're right not belly laugh

Absolutely, it was a lovely film. Gentle is the right word but I suppose I was hoping too much for at least one proper guffaw, the kind evoked by the original duo in nearly every scene of their movies. I feel bad dissing a movie I actually thought was very good but laughter was sadly lacking in a movie about two of history's finest comedians.

Saw this before Christmas. Loved it but yeah its not a funny film. That's not in any way a critisim though I don't think its supposed to be

I never watched any Laurel and hardy growing up apart from the 1960s cartoons that seemed to be on a lot in the 80s