Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Breaking your save is pretty unlikely isn't it? I would've thought... If the worst happened I could restore it from my cloud save anyway, right? :unsure:

Anyway, I gave all my villagers Santa hats. They'll probably replace them with winter hats as soon as it snows, but oh well.

image.png.4ce22b03f5e357fa1156b0b4c1f7a905.png

That's my understanding, but as you quit from the Switch homescreen with the game suspended, I don't imagine it begins a save. As a disclaimer, I possess zero technical knowledge, this is based purely on a hunch. :)

I hit a milestone of 1000 crafted tools today. Hitting 3000 would take about three years of daily play and I really can't see that happening unless something goes catastrophically wrong with my life/the world.

Grrr, wife & I have spent most of the day popping balloons.  So far we have

Fairy Dress

Magnetic Knife rack

Other shit that isn’t festive

Really irritating.  Not even a Santa Hat in the tailors.  Others will disagree as their islands are covered in Xmas Trees and LED Presents, etc, but for us this has been crap.

40 minutes ago, Ivanho said:

Others will disagree as their islands are covered in Xmas Trees and LED Presents, etc, but for us this has been crap.

Mine is liberally covered in Xmas tat, but I'm a loser that sits around with it on my lap for hours every day. I agree it's shit and you shouldn't have to do that. I don't think previous events have been quite so stingy with the balloon RNG? It probably doesn't help that there's snowflake recipes thrown into the mix as well.

I can DIY you anything you'd like and send a Santa's hat if you want? I'm not sure we're friends in the game yet?

1 hour ago, Ivanho said:

Grrr, wife & I have spent most of the day popping balloons.  So far we have

Fairy Dress

Magnetic Knife rack

Other shit that isn’t festive

Really irritating.  Not even a Santa Hat in the tailors.  Others will disagree as their islands are covered in Xmas Trees and LED Presents, etc, but for us this has been crap.

I’ve got some festive bits now but I’ve spent way too long trying to get them and it’s not exactly been fun; it’s felt like a slog. I don’t think the other seasonal recipes were this tough to get, or this close to the event. I was looking forward to the first Christmas in ACNH but feel like they’ve blown it a bit.

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

Mine is liberally covered in Xmas tat, but I'm a loser that sits around with it on my lap for hours every day. I agree it's shit and you shouldn't have to do that. I don't think previous events have been quite so stingy with the balloon RNG? It probably doesn't help that there's snowflake recipes thrown into the mix as well.

I can DIY you anything you'd like and send a Santa's hat if you want? I'm not sure we're friends in the game yet?

Thanks, but only my son has Online for Overwatch.  Going to sort out a family sub but it will have to wait until next payday.

40 minutes ago, Grimfango said:

I’ve got some festive bits now but I’ve spent way too long trying to get them and it’s not exactly been fun; it’s felt like a slog. I don’t think the other seasonal recipes were this tough to get, or this close to the event. I was looking forward to the first Christmas in ACNH but feel like they’ve blown it a bit.

Yes, definitely this. It should have just all been in Nooks, or given away by Isabelle. Will have to see if there is a sudden abundance of stuff tomorrow, but I don’t have time to spend all day with the island open, wrapping and giving presents, etc.  Real life Xmas stuff to sort as well.

Halloween was very forgiving if I recall. After making you buy candy every day they made it so your residents gave you some if you spoke to them on the day. Hopefully tomorrow they are as generous with stuff. Still don’t think I’ve got all the holiday items despite doing a fair bit of balloon chasing.

23 hours ago, Number 28 said:

One thing I didn't know is you can show her your star fragments...I never had one in my inventory before.

And with having the Capricorn ornament in my pockets what I crafted earlier I just discovered that after gettting a star fragment off her earlier when chatting to her again now while carrying one of the astological DIY items she'll tell you a little story about it ^_^

Happy toy day!!

Bah!

The toy day craft requires red wrapping paper which is not being sold at my Nook's. Do any of you have it, and can I visit?

Edit: Nevermind, I've figured out a way to get it:

Spoiler

If you talk to an animal without a wrapped gift, they won't exchange with you and give you red paper.

Also regarding toys:

Spoiler

When you exchange gifts, you get a random colour toy back, so there's a chance you can get the toys you're looking for.

I was wondering how they would handle gifts for the islanders. I much preferred New Leaf where they would give you a couple of hints and then you had to figure out which gift it was in the sack Santa gave you. This all feels a bit wishy washy to be honest. Crazy that some people still don't have all the recipes (me included, though I did manage to grab a few the last couple of days) 

It all goes against that interview with Miyamoto where he says he likes to remove any fluff from games that wastes players time! 

8 hours ago, Tet said:

Happy toy day!!

Bah!

The toy day craft requires red wrapping paper which is not being sold at my Nook's. Do any of you have it, and can I visit?

Edit: Nevermind, I've figured out a way to get it:

Reveal hidden contents

If you talk to an animal without a wrapped gift, they won't exchange with you and give you red paper.

Also regarding toys:

Hide contents

When you exchange gifts, you get a random colour toy back, so there's a chance you can get the toys you're looking for.

I don’t think they need to be wrapped in red just any paper will do.  And on your last point, yes I can confirm that can happen! :D

1 minute ago, SteveH said:

So handed out the random presents (they don't even let you know what the presents were!) and I think 3 islanders gave me presents back, but the others gave me bugger all?! 

Are these the presents from Jingle? You can also give them your own present.

6 minutes ago, Daley said:

Are these the presents from Jingle? You can also give them your own present.

Yeah just the Jingle presents so far. I thought I'd wait and see if there was anything I needed to know before wrapping up random crap for them :) 

12 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

Love that they react to you being dressed as Santa, why wouldn't you be though! :lol:

Shout if anyone wants a Jingle poster and I'll send you one from my catalogue :)

Ooo how’d you get Jingle poster? He gave me a toy day sleigh and recipe for gift pile. 

25 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

Love that they react to you being dressed as Santa, why wouldn't you be though! :lol:

Shout if anyone wants a Jingle poster and I'll send you one from my catalogue :)

Yes please! Recipes being more generous this morning unless I’m imagining things. 3 festive ones from the balloons including a duplicate snowflake wreath if anyone needs that.

Many thanks @Tet for the blue tent and green dollhouse to complete those sets.  I've since had the red RC Copter and Pink Puppy :omg::omg::omg: from my villagers too :wub:

Also after all my snowboy boasting I made a not-perfect one today :lol:

Will send posters out in a bit, need to give more gifts to villagers to see if I can get the Orange Tin Robot too