Animal Crossing: New Horizons

@Soi Ooof there's both a lot to know and it's hard to know what to say.

Even though it risks becomes a bit of a box ticking exercise the Nook Miles + app on your little phone thing (the top centre icon when you press ZL) is a good guide. You earn Nook Miles for speaking to villagers, finding and getting fossils assessed, catching certain fish, whacking rocks etc. so it becomes a good daily checklist on what to do. Those Nook Miles can be exchanged for items in the Nook Terminal in Resident Services.

If it is early on Nook in the Resident Services gives you little tasks to complete. After you have completed the basics you can move people's home around, build bridges and inclines and move some of the shops.

There are guides for cross breeding flowers.

There are guides for catching bugs, fish and sea creatures.

Other than that it's just trial and error and doing whatever you feel like. Any specific questions someone will be able to help in here I am sure.

EDIT: Almost forgot to say you can have multiple houses in the same game so you could set yourself up on your daughters island if you wanted to have a play around.

EDIT 2: There are regular visitors on your island so it is worth keeping an eye out for them.

Excuse shitty spelling/grammar if it's even worse than my normal, copied from messages I sent to work mate when his Mrs was starting out and wanted tips...

When smashing a rock you can do it with a row of 3 holes behind you to stop your character bouncing back away from the rock, allows you to get 8 hits in to get max stuff from the rock, or just two holes on one of the corners if you dig the holes either side of you like....

image.png.38db3ae468e37a69f46a1a5408eb26ae.png

Go round digging all the holes at each rock then start smashing them with a fresh new shovel, as you don’t want your old one to break after just one or two hits n then you’ll be empty handed n get just those one or two things out of that rock til the next day.

Go around all your non fruit trees each day n give them a shake. One should drop out an item of furniture or something. When you get enough trees you’ll get two items out of the trees each day. Same happens when you go to most of the little Nook ticket islands, shake all the trees and you should get an item from one and maybe a DIY recipe on the beach. Always try keep your net equipped when shaking trees because sometimes other things drop out too!

Branches will drop out of the trees when you shake them too for use in crafting things. Keep shaking a tree and more than one branch will drop.

Twat trees with a flimsy or stone axe and you’ll get 3 bits of wood each day out of each tree, for use in crafting stuff. The next proper axe will chop the tree down on the third hit leaving just the stump behind. You do want one or two tree stumps around the place as some bugs/insects only will spawn on tree stumps.

Also...for fishes and insects, some only appear at certain times of day/night and also vary by locations, so try to mix up the hunting times and fishing in the ponds/rivers/oceans to try catch more variety. And some only come out when it’s raining, so if it’s pissing down get your rod out and go fish.

Visit your animal residents in their houses as there's usually one crafting something and they'll give you the DIY recipe for it.

Crafted items sell for more than the value of the ingredients used sold seperately, so earn a bit more by doing that.

I built my island. I have poured blood, sweat and tears into it. I have almost bankrupt myself to pay for houses, for shops, for bridges, for inclines. The island flourishes through the strength of my back and the sweat of my brow. 

So why the fuck do Timmy, Tommy and Mable still follow me around their stores like I'm a fucking shoplifter? 

Recipes available if anyone wants them including a couple of the current seasonal ones:

magazine rack

birdcage

ironwood cupboard

ironwood dresser

stack of books

traditional balancing toy (seasonal)

pine bonsai tree  (seasonal)

I have grown fond of rattan furniture but I think they are only available to purchase from the shops because I have no recipies. If anyone has any in store to purchase please let me know so I can visit. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I have grown fond of rattan furniture but I think they are only available to purchase from the shops because I have no recipies. If anyone has any in store to purchase please let me know so I can visit. Thanks.

I was going to say I can send you what you might be missing, but I have  a feeling you are the "don't send me stuff policy" fella? :) 

1 hour ago, StumpyJohn said:

Recipes available if anyone wants them including a couple of the current seasonal ones:

magazine rack

birdcage

ironwood cupboard

ironwood dresser

stack of books

traditional balancing toy (seasonal)

pine bonsai tree  (seasonal)

Can I have the birdcage please?

@Number 28 @SteveH Thanks next time I am visiting I will visit your store to purchase.

How do you send a gift to another player the only option I get when purchasing anything from the Nook computer is to send to local players on the same switch console.

15 minutes ago, gospvg said:

@Number 28 @SteveH Thanks next time I am visiting I will visit your store to purchase.

How do you send a gift to another player the only option I get when purchasing anything from the Nook computer is to send to local players on the same switch console.

You have to have met someone in the game before you can send them a gift. That might be the reason?

22 hours ago, Meatball said:

Go round digging all the holes at each rock then start smashing them with a fresh new shovel, as you don’t want your old one to break after just one or two hits n then you’ll be empty handed n get just those one or two things out of that rock til the next day.

You don't need to worry about that, the shovel is coded not to break in the middle of a rock smash combo, it will break on the 8th hit.

6 minutes ago, GC Zombie said:

You don't need to worry about that, the shovel is coded not to break in the middle of a rock smash combo, it will break on the 8th hit.

Yeah, same is true in bug-off and the fishing tourney.  The tool will break at the end of the run, not during it

36 minutes ago, GC Zombie said:

Aah..that's good at least. Every day's a school day :hat:

I'll prob stick with that method of a freshly customised or new shovel each time still, as I run through all my rocks one after the other and though now I know it won't break mid combo it could still break after the first rock and then I'd have to go on a tremendous mission to get another shovel and continue.

26 minutes ago, GC Zombie said:

Ah, I didn't know about that one, I always carried spares just in case!

I think its worth having a spare anyway especially if you are planning on doing several 'runs' in a row.

I typically always carry a spare of the main tools that I use (rod, net, shovel) as it reduces the annoyance when they break.  Back when I was doing lots of flowers that would have included a can too and potentially more than one spare of both the can and shovel

6 hours ago, gospvg said:

You can't buy the stuff in our catalogues from the store, I would have to send it over for you, but it's no bother. First you have to visit our islands (or I could visit you) so we're on each other's friend list. SW-2225-4908-7401 if you want to add me.

@StumpyJohn Cheers for the recipe! Pine bonsai crafted. :)

Got Redd here with a real Twinkly and fakes of Graceful/Jolly paintings if anyone wants.

No takers for any of these then? I shall get rid then if nobody wants owt off there...

On 11/09/2020 at 20:11, Meatball said:

DIY’s up for grabs...

Money flooring

Mossy garden rock

Iron shelf 

western style stone

Natural garden chair

Garden rock

Apples rug

Pretty tulip wreath

Bamboo floor lamp

Cherry rug

Iron closet

Peach chair

Sandy beach flooring

Birdhouse

Deer decoration

Flower stand

Bonsai shelf

Wooden plank sign

Doghouse

Barbell

Water pump

Bamboo drum

Golden arowana model

Ironwood low table

Ironwood bed 

Flat garden rock

Golden gears

Cardboard sofa

Shell lamp

Pear bed 

Wooden block wall clock

Stone wall

Cherry speakers

10 hours ago, SteveH said:

I was going to say I can send you what you might be missing, but I have  a feeling you are the "don't send me stuff policy" fella? :) 

I think that is me, unless there are more of us now!

48 minutes ago, Meatball said:

Got Redd here with a real Twinkly and fakes of Graceful/Jolly paintings if anyone wants.

No takers for any of these then? I shall get rid then if nobody wants owt off there...

If you want the twinkly I'm happy to pop over to buy it and post it back to you tomorrow

1 minute ago, StumpyJohn said:

If you want the twinkly I'm happy to pop over to buy it and post it back to you tomorrow

Cheers. I already have it in the museum, so bought the knock off Mona Lisa off him for my personal collection.

Wouldn't have minded Twinkly for the collectoin either, but I'll share the love if someone else needs it.

Stinky MrDo just been over and had it now, so just the other two fakes left.

Was playing last night and it was raining for the first time in ages.  Noticed that the rain makes a specific sound on the roof of Nooks Cranny which is different to the one it makes on other buildings.  Amazing some of the detail in the sound design of this game :wub:

14 hours ago, Meatball said:

You still got them? Missed this first time round.

I had an odd moment with the game this morning, turned it on to do my usual running around shake the trees, hit the rocks, say hi to everyone & visit the nook computer when I just stopped and thought is this a game or a job? I enjoy the creating your island, I had good fun with Dragon Quest Builders 2 but that game also had a story to keep you playing. I just turned this off now & I think I am done, I play games to enjoy the story back to FF7 remake I go, thanks to everyone for all the help.

I am not a big fan of endless games or games that require you to login daily.

Just do the bits you like.

i haven’t hit rocks or looked at the nook atm in ages. I don’t bother speaking to villagers unless I think they might move out.

I find the daily visitor, check turnip prices and maybe do a little redesign.

10 minutes everyday is the best way to play this.

I do like the design bit, just finished off a small park yesterday with benches and a water fountain. Will take a break & I'll carry on doing that will forget about all the hitting rocks & shaking trees.