Animal Crossing: New Horizons

1 hour ago, StumpyJohn said:

Anyone else found that they don't appear to have any visitor today?  Sometime the wandering ones can be a bit hard to spot but have scoured the whole place 3 times and nobody seems to be around :(.  Quit and reload didnt help either

I had Gulliver wondering the beach today.

On 23/08/2020 at 16:47, gospvg said:

Question regarding online play/data backup.

If I get Nintendo Online on my account I understand I can back up the island, to confirm that will also back up my character? Will is also back up my daughters character or do I need Online Family membership?

This still isn't clear, I don't think - Nintendo have only just committed to offering some kind of restore function but it won't be a standard cloud backup because they want to safeguard against cheating, so how it will work remains to be seen.

46 minutes ago, Popo said:

This still isn't clear, I don't think - Nintendo have only just committed to offering some kind of restore function but it won't be a standard cloud backup because they want to safeguard against cheating, so how it will work remains to be seen.

For the extra few quid I went with the family option just in case I need that to back up my daughters. I have set up the auto backup in game for that peace of mind. Back to chopping wood to create doghouses to sell.

Turnips being bought at 371 here this aft/eve if anyone is wanting to sell. Sahara is visiting also.

I finally got my island in a bit more of a presentable state with less flowerpocalypse mess all over (though there is still a little) so I've uploaded a dream thingy if anyone wants check it out DA-3070-5640-7214

And I'm still playing pretty much daily @Caz-chan @dreamylittledream if you want somewhere else to visit SW-7461-7432-8618

On 19/08/2020 at 21:09, Meatball said:

I’m in work til late, back about midnight if you’ll still be around then I could pop over. Or tomorrow eve I’m finish bit earlier and home for 8:30ish which is probably more better sensible option. 

Think we missed each other again. Can open this evening if you are about?

Redd in town today:

He has:

Fake Warrior statue

Fake Wild Painting Right Half

Fake famous painting

Any takers?

1 minute ago, Daley said:

Think we missed each other again. Can open this evening if you are about?

Redd in town today:

He has:

Fake Warrior statue

Fake Wild Painting Right Half

Fake famous painting

Any takers?

Ooh yeah, thanks. I'm on now just doing some bug hunting trying to catch the last few before they leave at end of the month, so I can nip over whenever.

I'll grab a warrior statue while I'm there too cheers ^_^

52 minutes ago, Daley said:

Gates are open. Any watering appreciated.

Couldn't leave as your guy was on his phone and it wouldn't let us out. So some idiot named @Mr Do 71 broke it and made the game crash and it kick us out without saving :mad:

I still got the DIY's I learned thanks, but lost everything else. So if you get back on and see this before Nook's close could you buy us that telly and elephants slide please and I'll send you the money.

11 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

Anyone else found that they don't appear to have any visitor today?  Sometime the wandering ones can be a bit hard to spot but have scoured the whole place 3 times and nobody seems to be around :(.  Quit and reload didnt help either

Pirate Gulliver here for me today...

I saw a very odd bug yesterday. I was shaped like a dropped item but upped and left when I went to pick it up. Presume it is

Spoiler

a leaf insect...

56 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I saw a very odd bug yesterday. I was shaped like a dropped item but upped and left when I went to pick it up. Presume it is

Reveal hidden contents

a leaf insect...

Spoiler

Yes.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

Reveal hidden contents

a leaf insect...

After loading a different game also didn't fix anything I rebooted the whole switch and then C.J appeared on my island.  Fintastic! :)

You must have seen those before, they first appeared in July?

Spoiler

You can catch them both before and after they 'pop'

2 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

You must have seen those before, they first appeared in July?

Reveal hidden contents

You can catch them both before and after they 'pop'

Never noticed one before but it could well have been one of the many insects that flutter out of my way and which I never really see as I charge through my forest.

Now I know it exists I now need one for Blathers.

34 minutes ago, Daley said:

Quite a few bugs and other things leaving at the end of August, still got a bit of work to do here.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/new-bugs-fish-sea-creatures-august-arriving-leaving-animal-crossing-new-horizons-7018

Good call, have been meaning to post about that too.  Pretty much all of the cicadas, stags and other tree beetles are going and some are pretty hard to find.

I managed to get the 3 cicada shells I'd been struggling to find so am fine with getting a model of that.  Still need 1 more giraffe stag and 2 more golden stags for model making.  Will be using mysterious islands to get those in the next few days hopefully

19 hours ago, Meatball said:

Turnips being bought at 371 here this aft/eve if anyone is wanting to sell. Sahara is visiting also.

I finally got my island in a bit more of a presentable state with less flowerpocalypse mess all over (though there is still a little) so I've uploaded a dream thingy if anyone wants check it out DA-3070-5640-7214

And I'm still playing pretty much daily @Caz-chan @dreamylittledream if you want somewhere else to visit SW-7461-7432-8618

I have sent you a friend request, what fruit do you have? I have peaches.

I wonder if the drip feeding of the year round content was ultimately a good idea. I'm not talking about festivals being DLC to thwart time travellers, that's obviously brilliant. But new features like the diving and dream suite, and future datamined buildings and features... my feeling is that a lot of people did what they wanted with their limited island space and moved on. For the AC lifers it's good, but for example I find myself logging in once or twice to check out the diving etc but feeling like it's too slight to suck me back in and that my time with the game is still done - at least for a good while. Torn whether front-loading the content would've been smarter for player retention, but think the long term players would miss out on new stuff appearing and I don't want that. I can see the argument both ways and aren't sure of my conclusion on it.

200+ hours is a great innings regardless. Interested to hear your takes.

• Upvote 2

I think having new things like diving added over time still works quite well, as for someone like me who is now likely to pop in for a bit once a month to look for new bugs, there's always something new and joyful to occupy an evening with. For the initial players I don't think you would say there wasn't already enough features for it to be game of the year at launch.

18 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

I wonder if the drip feeding of the year round content was ultimately a good idea. I'm not talking about festivals being DLC to thwart time travellers, that's obviously brilliant. But new features like the diving and dream suite, and future datamined buildings and features... my feeling is that a lot of people did what they wanted with their limited island space and moved on. For the AC lifers it's good, but for example I find myself logging in once or twice to check out the diving etc but feeling like it's too slight to suck me back in and that my time with the game is still done - at least for a good while. Torn whether front-loading the content would've been smarter for player retention, but think the long term players would miss out on new stuff appearing and I don't want that. I can see the argument both ways and aren't sure of my conclusion on it.

They have sold an absolute shitload of copies which is probably more to do with the circumstances they released the game into rather than the way it was structured but I feel they have managed it well since. People always seem to go mad the first few weeks/months and then some bounce off it. I like what they have done with the little updates, making some of the rarer visitors more frequent (e.g. Redd) and the fireworks and dreams stuff are OK but the diving stuff was a really nice addition. I think once it settles down people either drop the game completely or kind of check in once/twice a day so they have done well to keep things fresh. New bugs, events and other additions are all nice and if anything I still find there is too much to do on a daily basis. I still haven't redesigned my island for example or finished with flower breeding.

Personally i'm looking forward to the winter and snow being on the ground. That's always a treat in these games.  

• Upvote 1

Have they changed the rate of high turnip prices? It's been over a month now I believe since I last had a decent turnip price in my town. 

I wish for one of the updates they would increase the amount of custom designs that you can have. It's really holding back my ideas for my island. And I wish you could re-shape the beaches as well.

2 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

I do think it was the right approach because it absolutely fits with AC's relaxed style of play and encourages people like me to check in on occasion.  I've gone from playing once a day every day, more or less, to being more like once a week over the past month so I've probably gotten everything I wanted out of it, but it's nice to know that, as the seasons change and new events and things to do appear, there's always a reason to fire it back up.

I expect that, by the time a full year has passed and we're into Spring 2021 I'll be done-diddly-un with it.  My only real 'goal' is to get a 5-star rating for the island by then, that's my end-game.  If I can uncover all the achievements (though not necessary 100% it) by then that'll be a bonus - if not I might just look them up and cheat!  But I'm not as committed as some to things like getting the islander's pictures or getting all the statues - even the bug/fish/deep sea monster encyclopaedias I could take or leave, I just don't feel like the game's been designed for me to complete them.

3 hours ago, gospvg said:

I have sent you a friend request, what fruit do you have? I have peaches.

Accepted. My native fruit is Oranges, but I have everything else I think also....Peach, Cherry, Apple, Lime, Pear, Coconut.

Turnips have dropped down to just 122B's now though if you were wanting to sell.

6 hours ago, SteveH said:

Have they changed the rate of high turnip prices? It's been over a month now I believe since I last had a decent turnip price in my town. 

I wish for one of the updates they would increase the amount of custom designs that you can have. It's really holding back my ideas for my island. And I wish you could re-shape the beaches as well.

I’ve never had a price over 250 bells per nip and I’ve played and checked the price twice a day since release day.

• Empathy 1

After discovering the walking leaf for the first time last night I have since been on a concerted hunt for them and  easily caught 4 or 5. They are very common so have no idea how I've managed to miss them until now.

Also caught two new stag beetles and a new cicada so a very good potter around with the net indeed.