Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Just now, Ste Pickford said:

Finally finished my little gamedev studio upstairs in my house.  Been waiting since launch for a laptop to appear in my shop, and it felt like cheating to ask someone for one.

I'm sure there's a couple of other things I can add, if I think of them.

The coin-ops remind me of old school stories of having the coin-op in the office as the sole reference point for ports back in the 80's.

1 minute ago, Unofficial Who said:

The coin-ops remind me of old school stories of having the coin-op in the office as the sole reference point for ports back in the 80's.

Yep, I've done games that way.

5 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Finally finished my little gamedev studio upstairs in my house.  Been waiting since launch for a laptop to appear in my shop, and it felt like cheating to ask someone for one.

I'm sure there's a couple of other things I can add, if I think of them.

Sadly there are no empty pizza boxes in the game, as far as I know.

Looking forward to Glider Rider II. ;)

3 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Looking forward to Glider Rider II. ;)

That desk layout there is actually inspired by how the desks were arranged at Binary Design, where we did Glider Rider.  The artists and musicians were elsewhere, but each team had three desks in that formation, with a programmer on each, one working on ZX Spectrum, one working on the Amstrad CPC, and one working on the Commodore 64, all writing versions of the same game.

25 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

It's late here but....I've re-opened so you can see some/grab stars! Celeste has broken free of her trap and is roaming the island again.

Thank you. We'll be quick. On our way.

@Unofficial WhoThank you for opening late. Got one of the Celeste recipes that we've been after. Wished on some stars and got out. 

39 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Of course you're right, and 80 times was an exaggeration, but if you can have 10 villagers then it stands to reason there would be at least 10 varieties of character dialogue. Otherwise you have a situation where every player has a few characters who look different but whose dialogue mostly pulls from the same pool. A few more types wouldn't have broken the bank on what evidence suggest was a modestly budgeted title, which has sold exceptionally well.

Even if there were a few sub-set options based on animal type or gender etc. it would add to the uniqueness of each villager's personality. But a lazy squid, chicken, deer, dog x2 all say exactly the same things.

It’s much worse with lazy villagers than the others, and I don’t think the volume of dialogue is the issue. Lazy villagers actually seem to have more specific lines, but they use them every time. So for example when gifting clothes, the Peppy characters draw from a random bank of “thanks for the gift” dialogue which is shared between personality types. But lazy villagers have a specific line (my old clothes are crusty so I’ll try this on now) that activates every single time that you give them clothes. So in practice the lazy villagers have an extra line but when I go to give all my villagers clothes the lazy ones will say the same thing every time whereas the Peppy ones will give me different dialogue.

It’s definitely a bigger problem with the lazy and jock types than any of the others, they repeat tonnes of dialogue.

1 hour ago, Unofficial Who said:

It's late here but....I've re-opened so you can see some/grab stars! Celeste has broken free of her trap and is roaming the island again.

I know you very kindly invited me to your island when you were stripping mine clean the other day ;)  But I'm going to sound like a bit of a fanny now and decline. I haven't seen what it looks like during winter in this game, and I want to experience it for the first time when it snows on mine :blush:

48 minutes ago, SteveH said:

I know you very kindly invited me to your island when you were stripping mine clean the other day ;)  But I'm going to sound like a bit of a fanny now and decline. I haven't seen what it looks like during winter in this game, and I want to experience it for the first time when it snows on mine :blush:

Totally understand.

And hey, it's not like I used a dragnet to catch all your fish.....

2 hours ago, fatbob said:

Every day, I do my little pootle about my island, and quite oftain will stop and try and catch this lamp post shadow.   

Way too often.

Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 14.55.00.png

I placed one of the default designs on the ground - some tiny animal footprints - and every other day I try to pick it up thinking it’s a weed. 

Does make me wish you could leave bottle caps lying around, to trick people into thinking they’re £1 coins. 

Flick is on our island today. We've also got stars tonight with showers predicted 8.31, 8.34, 8.59, 9.05, 9.07, 9.09 so avoid arriving on those minutes if you can. We'll be opening the gates. 

There's a scorpion around so watch out.

41 minutes ago, Broker said:

Anyone got anyone moving out today? 

Not today but Cheri will be moving out in a couple of days time.  I'm currently on day 1 of 3 inviting her replacement to the campsite

image.png.60e1a65fe8bec32094036a385b406bfa.png

She's really nice but not a keeper

So this is the basic space for my classroom, anyone got any suggestions for a suitable custom designs that’ll make good flooring?

not sure what constitutes good classroom flooring lol but open to suggestions!

E6796E17-60BF-4766-B789-24B7F57FF221.jpeg

3 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

We've also got stars tonight with showers predicted 8.31, 8.34, 8.59, 9.05, 9.07, 9.09

How do you know what time the showers will be?!

1 minute ago, Mike S said:

My word, that all looks very complicated indeed!

For the most part it’s very simple (just avoid getting into trying to record stars to the second... it’s hard and not worth it). It’s tedious. And a bit fiddly. If you do it take their advice and only fill in what you know to be correct.

Most of mine was done by simply recording dates I new I had Celeste from screenshots. I also had stars captures in screenshots so recorded the day and hour of them.

Just now, thesnwmn said:

For the most part it’s very simple (just avoid getting into trying to record stars to the second... it’s hard and not worth it). It’s tedious. And a bit fiddly. If you do it take their advice and only fill in what you know to be correct.

Most of mine was done by simply recording dates I new I had Celeste from screenshots. I also had stars captures in screenshots so recorded the day and hour of them.

I think it's too much for me. I shall just keep my eyes peeled for star gazing invites in here...

Just like this morning when I went all the way to Australia for a meteor shower!

32 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I tried doing mine from past screenshots but I must have been making mistakes as it always ended up on a seed that was wrong or on no seed at all.  It can sometimes be hard getting the weather correct at times that are not on the hour.  In the end I took screenshots each day, on the hour whenever I remembered for a week or so and then used that info.  Some days just a couple of observation were needed to identify thats days type but on other days it could take half a dozen observation points.

One thing to note is that on light shower days it gives me the times of stars and this info is always correct however it is also incomplete in that I get stars at other times too.  For example on Friday I was due to see stars in the 21:00 and 23:00 hours according to my seed but I also saw some in the 22:00 hour too.  Similarly on Wednesday my first predicted stars were in the 22:00 hour but I saw some much earlier than that in the 19:00 hour.

@Mike S I have big showers due on the 26th and 28th and will open for both

45 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

It’s tedious.

I'll start logging shooting stars once I'm done with the flower breeding.

image.png.b1fd62bb1583cb30cf3a15b56bbaec0b.png

Six hours, nineteen minutes, right ascension, fourteen degrees, twenty-two minutes declination... no sighting.

I got the pirate treasure chest through the post from Gullivarr this morning, which is a great piece of furniture but is off somehow. I think it might be 1.5 x 1.5 units, so no matter where you position it, it looks slightly off centre.  It's really annoyed me.

25 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I got the pirate treasure chest through the post from Gullivarr this morning, which is a great piece of furniture but is off somehow. I think it might be 1.5 x 1.5 units, so no matter where you position it, it looks slightly off centre.  It's really annoyed me.

I had a similar annoyance with the otherwise awesome Flower Stand which is also a 1.5x1.5 item.  Took me ages to put together a display where I was happy with the positioning of it.

EdcIL-IUEAAEEX6.thumb.jpeg.17b4fc82c58da87ccd03d2e909256814.jpeg

Gulliver continues to troll me with Hats, at least this time it was the Sombrero which is actually pretty nice

What happens if I keep the 5 rusted parts I dug up for gulliver?

will I still have them tomorrow, or will they disappear like the ghost orbs I forgot to give back? (I can’t put them in storage straight away)

I’d rather save up for the giant robot than get most of his items.

Redd is in town. Well, in the water.

Can open if anyone is keen.

He has:

Fake Detailed painting

Fake Scary painting

Fake Motherly statue

He also has a metronome (brown) and an oil barrel (green).

14 minutes ago, Fuddle said:

What happens if I keep the 5 rusted parts I dug up for gulliver?

will I still have them tomorrow, or will they disappear like the ghost orbs I forgot to give back? (I can’t put them in storage straight away)

I’d rather save up for the giant robot than get most of his items.

You can keep the five parts and they’ll rust tomorrow, allowing you to keep them. How many rusted parts do you have/need?

19 minutes ago, Daley said:

Redd is in town. Well, in the water.

Can open if anyone is keen.

He has:

Fake Detailed painting

Fake Scary painting

Fake Motherly statue

He also has a metronome (brown) and an oil barrel (green).

Statue you say!

On my way!