rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

5 hours ago, Tetmon said:

Bug off has started! (9am to 6pm)

Very similar to the fishing tourney.

So far I've been getting a gift (randomly from a pool I imagine) every 10 points.

I'm sure the number of bugs in the open is reduced during the 3 mins. The most I've managed so far is 8.

I've had a friend over from the Americas and you get a team bonus, but most importantly- it's free!, unlike by yourself when each round costs 500b (We played 4 rounds - Flick didn't ask for cash and there was no cash depletion sound)

In the fishing tourney, did you have to save hundreds of points for a big prize? Were the points you redeemed accounted for?

Happy hunting!

What’s the team bonus?

Not much. But I can't remember exactly. 2 or 3 extra points if your total no. of bugs is over 5 ( for 2 players) per round, I think.

Even though the bug off is very similar to the fishing contest, I've found it more enjoyable so far. Not sure why, maybe it's cos you're running all over the place rather than just by the water. Who knows? Maybe I just prefer insects?

7 minutes ago, Foxworth said:

Even though the bug off is very similar to the fishing contest, I've found it more enjoyable so far. Not sure why, maybe it's cos you're running all over the place rather than just by the water. Who knows? Maybe I just prefer insects?

And no bloody crafting bait.

The Bug Contest being the same grindy bullshit as the fishing contest is disappointing and has the added annoyance in my town anyway of there being butterflys everywhere until you start the timer and then they all seem to disappear.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I’m enjoying it much more than fishing even though its the same.

I think bug catching is less stressful. There’s less nervous waiting for the bite. Yes you can mess but it wastes less time than casting and waiting. And waiting. As the timer ticks down. And then you pull too soon. Or too late. Or the timer ends before the bite.

Got a couple of nice rewards so far and some trash that will never see the light of day. And the promise of a prize in the mail for reaching 100. Hopefully we can get some swaps on the go later. And I agree, much better than the fishing contest if only to avoid stockpiling mountains of bait. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, although the format is the same it is a bit more enjoyable than the fishing one.  I think a part of that is that it is easier to get more bugs per round especially when there are a decent number of butterflies about.  Have managed 10 twice and with luck I could get a few more than that

Edit, just got 12 and it was nearly 14! Think the most fish I ever got was 7

My island is very flower heavy through neglect and laziness so there's butterflies everywhere. Got more than ten on 2 of my 3 current runs, going to see what its like on my nephew's island in a bit 

My entire central island is paved. Once over checked the tiny flower beds and the trees there’s nowhere that bugs really spawn. Is it in the plaza? Do I have to run there and back each time? 

I don't know what's going on with the spawns in this contest. All the big flower fields that are normally humming with butterflies are empty, and it seems like the ones that do appear aren't respawning fast enough between rounds - just had three goes back to back and I only caught 3 on my last go.

Also fuck dragonflies.

• Upvote 1

Managed to get 15 in one 3 minute run. Finding the butterflies less prevalent but some of the other creatures, like ladybirds and shield bugs, moreso. Still only got 17 points though! 

There are 2 big problems for me with the bug run.

1 - I caught 2 my last run because I SAW 2.

2 - It still makes you sit through the capture text while the clock runs.

I missed the fish one because I didn't realise it ended at 6pm but I could easily get more fish because there's a much smaller search area.

Currently on my nephew's relatively foliage free island and with 3 of us we caught 9 total last run. Now there's 3 more people here. And you can only talk to Flick one at a time. I mean.... I just.... Ugh.

Seems it's random then. And it's utterly unplayable with 7 people waiting to talk to Flick. You may as well do it on your own for the downtime that's you have to endure.

The first few attempts I got between 9-12 each run, then the bugs completely dried up and I had a run where I only got 2.

I'm going to go for gold (300 pts) though.

There should be another fish tourney this month so will need to save up on bait soon.

Have so far grinded my way to 105 points and got 10 different items in exchange. I mostly get 4-6 each try with 9 being the max and a couple time getting 8. I'm currently trying to decide if I can be bothered to keep going to get all the trophies so I never have to do it again but the game isn't much fun when the tournament is on because all of the islanders are taking part and won't talk to you about anything else.

• Upvote 1

Can I not give anyone presents?

Got the artisanal bug cage as my second reward so I might just sack it off now. 

The leaks list 12 prizes but I have a 13th.

Spiderweb

I don't know if there's more.

Got 17 bugs twice in a row, this is so much easier than the fishing one.  Will have quite a few spare items to swap/ give away at the end I think

I'm catching about 5-9 each time...pathetic. I wonder if it would be any easier on a large TV screen.

God, I wish the NPCs were far less verbose. Is it true there are multiple versions of the items you win?

The funniest / most annoying (delete as applicable) thing about the bug hunt is when you spot a butterfly and swing your net, only for a stupid villager to walk in the way so the A button starts a conversation instead, and the villager tells *you* off for distracting him while he's trying to catch bugs.

AAARGH!

• Upvote 3

Or you're watching them saying "I've caught a bug!" as the next one sails over a cliff out of reach.