IGNORED

Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

Mr Do 71

1 hour ago, StumpyJohn said:

Got 17 bugs twice in a row, this is so much easier than the fishing one.  Will have quite a few spare items to swap/ give away at the end I think

If you've got a spare bug floor, I'd be interested.

Got to 311 points in 25 rounds.  Was getting a pretty consistent 14 points (12 bugs) per round by the end, once I'd learned to run between the promising spawn spots.

The artisanal bug cage was the only decent reward, so predictably I've only got 1 of those, but 5 ladybug umbrellas and 4 spiderwebs. 

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

FInally grinded out all 300 poins, never doing that again. I've also ended up with 5 of the t-shirts which is the worst reward available. 

The contests are awful in New Horizons. In the old games it would feel like an actual contest, there was always a chance another villager would beat your record just before the contest ended and there would even be a ceremony for the winner. Now we just get a time limited grindy bullshit and a trophy in the mail.  You also have to go through the same three conversations everytime with Flick where he talks like this is your first go, gives your your current total  and then offers to buy the bugs off you. This is the worst chance to Animal Crossing since they removed the NES games. 

I'm pretty sure most the prizes are recycled assets too. From the museum again.

I'm getting worse at this, I swear. There's a bug drought.

I was going to stop when I got two termite mounds (although I’m not sure what I wanted to do with them) 300 points later I seem to have multiples of everything else, but still only one of them!

14 was my record in one run.

i give up now. Got to brave the outside world!

13 minutes ago, Fuddle said:

I was going to stop when I got two termite mounds (although I’m not sure what I wanted to do with them) 300 points later I seem to have multiples of everything else, but still only one of them!

14 was my record in one run.

i give up now. Got to brave the outside world!

Will swap you my spare termite mound for your spare Artisanal bug cage!

34 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I'm not sure I can reach 300 before 6pm. Will the points carry over till the next Bug Off? I'll be running back to Flick at 5.59pm like Elias in Platoon.

(I know he's sticking around till 8pm for exchanges)

Yes, the points carry over to the next one (as they also do with the fishing one)

29 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I don't think my island is very bug-friendly. I've run around for two minutes without seeing a single bug. :/

Yeah, layout can be a big factor here.  My garden in front of my house will sometimes yield 4 bugs on its own!

Some obvious strategies are (no need to do all of them!):

Lots of flowers

Have a few stumps so that you get the citrus beetle etc spawning

Have blue/ hybrid flowers so peacock butterflies are about

Have white flowers so orchid mantis appears

Have some water so pondskaters etc appear, think this might help spawn dragonflies too but they are harder to catch

Also, you don't need to go very far for an area to spawn bugs again

Less useful were:

trees for drone and other beetles to spawn on - only saw a couple

Can for fly to spawn - only saw 1 spawn the whole time

There is also an essential cheat mode option

Spoiler

Spoiled turnip to spawn Ants

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

Got to 311 points in 25 rounds.  Was getting a pretty consistent 14 points (12 bugs) per round by the end, once I'd learned to run between the promising spawn spots.

The artisanal bug cage was the only decent reward, so predictably I've only got 1 of those, but 5 ladybug umbrellas and 4 spiderwebs. 

I have loads of cages, would love to swap one for a spider web as I only got one of those

56 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I'm not sure I can reach 300 before 6pm. Will the points carry over till the next Bug Off? I'll be running back to Flick at 5.59pm like Elias in Platoon.

(I know he's sticking around till 8pm for exchanges)

Yes, which is why I'm confused everyone is playing it until it's not fun in order to get them.

Have been through the items I got and have the following to swap or give away:

ladybug umbrella (so cute) - several

butterfly backpack - loads

bug cage - a few

artisanal bug cage - loads

spider doorplate - a few

toy centipede - one

I have a full set but there are a couple where I only have one and would like to have a second:

bug aloha shirt

spiderweb

I managed to get most things but would love a butterfly wall if one is going spare. I found it super frustrating though as I barley found any bugs.

The most I got was 8. I have loads of flowers and I have tree stumps and most things just disappeared when the time started! I would wander round for a good 90 seconds before I’d see one and that was with me going to what I thought were good spawn points!

10 minutes ago, Laine said:

I managed to get most things but would love a butterfly wall if one is going spare. I found it super frustrating though as I barley found any bugs.

The most I got was 8. I have loads of flowers and I have tree stumps and most things just disappeared when the time started! I would wander round for a good 90 seconds before I’d see one and that was with me going to what I thought were good spawn points!

I got two so just sent you one. Take it as me making up for how generous you were with the rockets! Cheers!

4 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Will swap you my spare termite mound for your spare Artisanal bug cage!

I’ll do that.

i just went to post it before I realised I don’t have you on my list. Sent you a friend request.

I got the Bug Off trophies and they are just large versions of the trophies included in the Trophy Case crafting recipe (24x hardwood, 3x gold nugget, 6x iron nugget) I got a few weeks ago. Nintendo really should have made the recipe require both sets of bug and fishing trophies because it is clearly the best way to display them in your house and currently you don't even need them to craft it.

43 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Total bait thrown - 193

Mahi Mahi caught - 0

The struggle continues!

I’m in the same boat with the Char. 

After I dubbed my wife Quint she has now started calling me Shirley. 

Spoiler

Bass-y

1 hour ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Total bait thrown - 193

Mahi Mahi caught - 0

The struggle continues!

Oh I caught one of them earlier. He was just hanging next to the pier :ph34r:

One of the benefits of. The. Non. Stop. Fucking. Rain

4 minutes ago, spanx said:

Oh I caught one of them earlier. He was just hanging next to the pier :ph34r:

One of the benefits of. The. Non. Stop. Fucking. Rain

What do you mean a benefit of rain? I'm not aware of fish spawn changes (other than the ones that specifically spawn in the rain)